Star Wars VIII & IX - will Disney go with the unexpected?

I'm just ready for IX to come out and be done with. Then maybe Disney and Lucasfilm can shift the focus of Star Wars away from the Skywalker lineage and do something unique. The EU has so much content from the Old Republic Era, they could use for inspiration. Not exactly copy content, mind you, that wouldn't fit the bill. Though I'm sure plenty of folks would be happy to see a Revan based trilogy, or a Darth Bane trilogy. I'd like to see something new from the Era of Jedi versus Sith.

Exar Kun was made canon, to an extent, with the Art of Solo:ASWS book. So perhaps even something revolving around him and Ulic Qel Droma.

I don't know, but anything that doesn't involve the current batch of characters, or the classic characters. If IX has another big PT tie in, fine. I'm curious to see what it is, provided it's not another mystery box, and the tie in actually makes sense. But once the sequel trilogy is finished, put it to rest. There's an entire galaxy of content to choose from, or create a new and unique story to tell.

That would be unexpected.

There is stuff from generations in the future. Sadly, some of it still incorporates the skywalker line. Cade Skywalker is like the five times great grandson of Luke, who force ghost Luke visits from time to time.

My issue is that if they jumped ahead, they'd still have to deal with the rise and fall of the first order, new republic, et cetera.

Really, going far forward or far back is the only way to make new stories. But either still has difficulty in story telling to explain when, where, why.

Jump forward a thousand years and you pick up with characters who are or aren't in an organized political spectrum. Doesn't have to be a New (new new new) republic or Empire, or FO, or anything else. The point of a large jump one way or another is to get out of what's established and be able to have complete freedom.

The problem with jumping too far forward is keeping it "Star Wars" and not some unrecognizable sci-fi universe. Going back to KOTOR era would be easy to keep the Star Wars universe recognizable. I'd love to see some stories about the Sith warring with the Jedi, some Grey Jedi splintering from the order, etc. Personally if it doesn't have lightsabers and the force it's just sci-fi to me.

At least the Manadalorian won't likely deal with the rebellion empire conflict and will deal with totally new characters rather than depend on existing ones. As far as I know it will be the first truly original content in that sense since rotj.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back