Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

As I said C-3PO is not always super shiny. He looked dull in the orignals too. IMG_0513__90603.1406559112.1280.1280.JPGc8ce23f8dd828445f418dd70cbc69db9.jpg

Attachments

• 93439-004-254A63CB.jpg
    93439-004-254A63CB.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 138
Oh and I want the brand of rattle can paint that can truly do that good of a job being as shiny as it still is. I've not seen a brand yet that can do that.

He looks quite a bit more "faded" now, compared to what he has in the past. I don't think anyone is debating that he has often appeared dull in the past but I think to show his age, they made his gold color more subtle and "pale". Perhaps like it has rubbed off. In some areas, the TFA Threepio almost looks silver, at least in the promo pics. Maybe it's just where the pics are taken but it's hard to tell.

I'm sure everyone knows the problem with 3PO is that you can see the crew & cameras reflection if he's too shiny,.....really he's only been super shiny in ROS.....& remember they had to digitally paint out the unwanted reflections

I'd say they wanted him clean-ish for this film so they smudged him down a bit........he looked a bit like this in ROJ

c-3po-anthony-daniels-from-star-wars-episode.jpg

6.jpg

J

Even as dull as C-3PO was in ROTJ I've never understood who the camo trench coat was on Han Solo instead of C-3PO. At least Han was wearing blacks and browns with an off-white shirt. C-3PO could be seen from outerspace in that forest being all gold and shiny, even a dull shiny.

Really? Most of his pecs, forehead, codpiece and parts of his legs look pretty silvery to me, with muted gold highlights. It's more obvious in the promo pics though. Likely due to lighting, background, etc.It isn't nearly as obvious in the set pic.
I see it in those photos too. It looks like they wanted to give the impression that his gold/brass plating is wearing thin. After all, as was mentioned upthread, he and R2 are getting a bit long in the tooth.

More new footage. It just keeps looking better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bh-H9ZfLQ

love this one. Not sure how I felt right off the bat about "hell no". but I think that kind of natural dialogue fits Star Wars, and has been absent since Jedi. Thinking of all the snarky remarks through ANH and ESB. "Your TaunTaun will freeze!" "Then I'll see you in hell!" That kind of stuff played a great contrast to the space opera setting, and I'm realizing I'm glad to see it back.

Not so much bickering as it is observing. Lol! At least as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, the TV spot is neat. Doing a good job of keeping things vague. While I'm still not crazy about lightsaber-proof electrostaff thingies in general, it does kinda mindfreak me (in a weird, good way) to see a stormtrooper go full melee against a lightsaber wielder.

heh, no I meant bickering in the best way (I'd be a hypocrite if I was actually criticizing the conversation about such fine details) I was just getting impatient since the topic hadn't changed after a new spot had aired with some very interesting stuff going on in it.

I think the electro-staff makes sense. It might signal that the First Order is actually prepared for the Jedi to return. They're not caught off guard, and this is going to be a serious challenge. The Empire hadn't seen Jedi for a long time, and we're used to brute-force shock troopers (with bad aim) getting the job done. But the First Order has folks in high places who feel the balance of the force changing, and they're prepping their soldiers for it.

heh, no I meant bickering in the best way (I'd be a hypocrite if I was actually criticizing the conversation about such fine details) I was just getting impatient since the topic hadn't changed after a new spot had aired with some very interesting stuff going on in it.

I think the electro-staff makes sense. It might signal that the First Order is actually prepared for the Jedi to return. They're not caught off guard, and this is going to be a serious challenge. The Empire hadn't seen Jedi for a long time, and we're used to brute-force shock troopers (with bad aim) getting the job done. But the First Order has folks in high places who feel the balance of the force changing, and they're prepping their soldiers for it.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what the status of the Jedi actually is. My guess is there aren't any or if there were, the Knights of Ren took care of them. Electrostaffs have a precedent, thanks to ROTS, but I almost think I'd rather see troopers with mass produced, standard issue whitebladed lightsabers like the famous McQuarrie concept art once explored. Maybe lightsabers would no longer be that special. Electrostaffs just never made that must sense to me. How do they work? Is it supposed to be some sort of force field generated that blocks the saber blade?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm curious to see what the status of the Jedi actually is. My guess is there aren't any or if there were, the Knights of Ren took care of them. Electrostaffs have a precedent, thanks to ROTS, but I almost think I'd rather see troopers with mass produced, standard issue whitebladed lightsabers like the famous McQuarrie concept art once explored. Maybe lightsabers would no longer be that special. Electrostaffs just never made that must sense to me. How do they work? Is it supposed to be some sort of force field generated that blocks the saber blade?

You have no problems with lightsabers working yet you're bothered about the idea of an electrostaff? A weapon that has a laser or plasma that is emitted from a pipe but with nothing containing it for a blade but the idea of a staff that's somehow charged is problematic?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back