Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Two things...

Regarding the Falcon turret: All the way back to the old MPC model kit, the bases of the gun mounts were separate pieces from the main top and bottom hulls, and were made to be mounted in a way that they could rotate, rather than being glued in place. Leaving out the mess that was the Falcon interior set, and the fact that the ladder-to-cockpit-corridor-to-gunwell orientations are 150% incompatible... The only way to have the ladder line up with the accessway and the gun mounts they way it does is to have the turrets rotate 45 degrees to starboard when one wants to get in or out (and then stay that way for the duration of the battle, as the accessway remains in the same position opposite the ladder, and the turrets retain their orientation to each other and don't rotate independently). But someone forgot to tell that to the model shop detailers who were tasked with greebling up the filming miniature. All versions I've seen have at least one connection from the hull to the turret fixing it in place:

TurretComparison_zpse93cee9e.jpg

That's what happens when you have to almost completely change the main hero spaceship -- inside and out -- late in preproduction. I'm one who has adopted the headcanon of an internal layout that is similar to what we see, but tweaked to actually fit within and work with the exterior of the ship:

mm-mf_zps579318e7.jpg

That preserves the fixed nature of the turrets as shown through the OT. Now. Granted it's not canon, but all through the EU we had one source after another having the Falcon get upgunned by Han and others. I think it entirely possible -- if not highly likely -- that augmenting the guns themselves would require an independent operator like Lando or Han to have to cobble together power-supply and cooling systems to support them. And I can see such bodges fixing the previously-freely-rotating turrets in place. Similarly, I can see Han, having access to New Republic resources immediately post-Endor, not just replacing the rectenna but also fixing up the guns' power supply and such so the turrets can rotate again (or maybe they did it pre-Endor, so Lando wouldn't be hobbled in the battle).

So, basically, I have no problem with the turrets being meant to rotate, but the OT's filming miniature needs to be retconned to allow for it.

Second thing: I know what all the rumors say about Han dying. I know many things have been borne out through the teasers, trailer, and set photos. I'm sticking with the later analysis of that shot of crying Rey that the person laying in the foreground is a wounded Finn (red stripe on jacket, horizontally-oriented greeble rather than ends of code cylinders, etc.). This is not to say Han doesn't die elsewhere/elsewhen, but... The big reason Harrison wanted Han to die back in the day was because he had no point to be in ROTJ at all. They rescued him, and then he mostly just tagged along for the rest of the film. Nothing he did couldn't have been done by other characters. There was no need for Han in the story, and so Harrison would rather have not been in it. Now, one of the things he said right off at the Celebration panel about why he came back was that it was a wonderful script and a good story. I like to think he means more than just "they're finally letting Han die", and also that he wouldn't feel beholden to come back just to be killed off, no matter how much money they threw at him. As with him maintaining that Han should have died in the carbonite and thus no Harrison in ROTJ even for five minutes, if he still wanted Han dead or written out, it'd be easier (and cheaper) to have had him die somewhere in the intervening thirty years.

All this to say, he may die, he may not. I can see him getting fired up over a good story well-told and wanting to be a part of it for however long it remains such a lot more than I can see him having a good and worthy Star Wars script come along after his disappointment in ROTJ and be fine with Han dying in, essentially, the first act. As with the OT, I'd fully expect him to sign on one movie at a time, and based solely on its merits and whether Han is actually relevant to it. I could even see them filming several death scenes during principle photography for TFA in the event one needs to be used to write out Han for VIII or IX should Harrison be dissatisfied with where the story goes. *heh*

--Jonah

Last edited:
Back when Return of the King came out, Cinerama here in Seattle had an all-day movie marathon of all three LOTR films that Saturday. Tickets sold out in about five minutes and then were showing up on eBay going for upwards of a thousand dollars. It was infuriating. Since that sort of thing is apparently part of why I wasn't able to get tickets to one of the first three showings of TFA at the PacSci IMAX theater, I want the cracking abilities to access eBay seller accounts, backtrack IP addresses, and spike hard drives.:angry I hate people sometimes...

--Jonah

Yeah that surprised me too. I don't think the night time shot of Poe with a blaster was there either.

I hope you're right about Han. I'd certainly hate to see one of the greatest assets of the OT movies get killed off.

I don't think the night time shot of Poe with a blaster was there either.

Forgot about that one!

I hope you're right about Han. I'd certainly hate to see one of the greatest assets of the OT movies get killed off.

At the very least killing off Han doesn't make good business sense. There are still plenty of stories to be written and books to be sold involving the older TFA Han.

Perhaps one turret faces one way and the other faces the other way, both being able to turn 180°. That way you get full coverage. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

You know what would be a good mind f. what if starkiller base wasnt the bad guys weapon, but the good guys?

I know what you will say, the good guys wouldn't use a weapon of mass destruction to end a war.

Well our own history says otherwise.

In 30 years, Han Solo reversed the gun turrets and replaced the radar dish ... but couldn't he repair 30 year old blaster damage or at least replace some missing hull plating?

I had to restore my laptop,...so I don't have Ps installed at the minute.....please excuse my drawings

You probably already know this but not only is the ladder tube 40 odd degrees off but the ladders are on the wrong side of the tube for that solution to work also

IMG_3026_zpsejrcg2hx.jpg

IMG_3027_zpsdqa7p6vn.jpg

IMG_3028_zpszn0lwr9n.jpg

Really the Quad gun should come up in front of the gunners (like Joe Johnston designed) rather than hanging down.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.05.50_zpssego63ab.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.07.43_zpsz2idsnfp.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.07.33_zps5oqlesng.png

10989128_10203861903693167_8320048482039476276_n_zpsvr4vjqw6.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11039_zpsww3t2og4.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11056_zpsq4sttwe4.jpg

10991440_10203861898573039_4870624611362216680_n_zpsbhmh8elp.jpg

hmmm.......then theres the rotating turret,,,,,

J

Whups. You're right. Somehow I always get the ladder/accessway positions flipped in my head. Same basic principle, though -- the exterior and interior don'e line up.

--Jonah

I don't have any problem with the gun turret swinging around. In fact I always figured it could do that, we just never saw it before. It makes perfect sense that it would do that.

I always thought that's how it worked, as one core assembly, split in the middle and independent to spin each direction.

Second thing: I know what all the rumors say about Han dying. I know many things have been borne out through the teasers, trailer, and set photos. I'm sticking with the later analysis of that shot of crying Rey that the person laying in the foreground is a wounded Finn (red stripe on jacket, horizontally-oriented greeble rather than ends of code cylinders, etc.). This is not to say Han doesn't die elsewhere/elsewhen, but... The big reason Harrison wanted Han to die back in the day was because he had no point to be in ROTJ at all. They rescued him, and then he mostly just tagged along for the rest of the film. Nothing he did couldn't have been done by other characters. There was no need for Han in the story, and so Harrison would rather have not been in it. Now, one of the things he said right off at the Celebration panel about why he came back was that it was a wonderful script and a good story. I like to think he means more than just "they're finally letting Han die", and also that he wouldn't feel beholden to come back just to be killed off, no matter how much money they threw at him. As with him maintaining that Han should have died in the carbonite and thus no Harrison in ROTJ even for five minutes, if he still wanted Han dead or written out, it'd be easier (and cheaper) to have had him die somewhere in the intervening thirty years.

All this to say, he may die, he may not. I can see him getting fired up over a good story well-told and wanting to be a part of it for however long it remains such a lot more than I can see him having a good and worthy Star Wars script come along after his disappointment in ROTJ and be fine with Han dying in, essentially, the first act. As with the OT, I'd fully expect him to sign on one movie at a time, and based solely on its merits and whether Han is actually relevant to it. I could even see them filming several death scenes during principle photography for TFA in the event one needs to be used to write out Han for VIII or IX should Harrison be dissatisfied with where the story goes. *heh*

--Jonah

THANK YOU! I've been saying this all along, albeit much less eloquently than you have laid it all out here.

Last edited:
Mentioned over in the spoilers thread, but I'll repeat it here. Quoting myself: Regarding the "pirate fortress"... The mythosaur skull top center is only one that's been identified. Next to it is the "wheat sheaf" of the Fett crest. There are also the banners from Anankin's, Sebulba's, and two other podracers' teams; one that has Hondo Ohniaka's pirate crest from Clone Wars; one that looks like the Death Watch sigil; one that has unreadable Mandalorian glyphs on it; one has the "World Devourer" symbol Ziro the Hutt had tattooed on his neck (that many mistake for the Black Sun logo)... If Maz is a collector, that all makes sense. Here's a breakdown a friend of mine did. Granted, she didn't call out the one with the Mando glyphs (lower off-center, blue with white markings) or the possible Death Watch (above the droid, blue with yellow markings), but it's a good start. :)

7WLnXHs.jpg

Also, I made a mental connection that may or may not be relevant. Time index 5:04-5:16...

A) I wonder if that's one of those "Mandalorian bases even they've forgotten about", and B) I wonder if that's the holographic starmap in the trailer, and it leads Our Heroes to it...

--Jonah

Attachments

• 7WLnXHs.jpg
    7WLnXHs.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 7WLnXHs.jpg
    7WLnXHs.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 7WLnXHs.jpg
    7WLnXHs.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:

--Jonah

Oh, I agree 100%, Harrison Ford did come back for a great script and film and story for his character, and that film is TFA. Harrison Ford doesn't want to sort of hang around, be just another one of the main characters. This film gives him center stage and his exit stage right in a great, climatic way. There's more to Luke's absence then the narrative. This is Han's last ride and he is given as much screen time as possible. In regards to other comments about the value of the character Han Solo, also correct. That's why we are getting a standalone Han Solo film. Harrison Ford isn't going to spend the next 5 years making STAR WARS films in the UK but the character will live on in other projects.

As I posted earlier. It's worth pointing out that the first film in each trilogy has main, older, character die in the third act to send the younger characters on their Hero's Journey. Ben, Qui-gon.....

Last edited:
Geeze the non-spoiler thread gets some drips and drabs of spoilers for people asking about things that weren't a spoiler at first that should have just been directed to go to the spoiler thread, ceasing this spoiler free thread of existence.

Mesa outta here. Cya in December.

Did you see this?!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kets.TRS0&_nkw=force+awakens+tickets&_sacat=0

I should have gotten a couple more to offset the cost of mine!

This I have NEVER seen before for a movie.

Back when Return of the King came out, Cinerama here in Seattle had an all-day movie marathon of all three LOTR films that Saturday. Tickets sold out in about five minutes and then were showing up on eBay going for upwards of a thousand dollars. It was infuriating. Since that sort of thing is apparently part of why I wasn't able to get tickets to one of the first three showings of TFA at the PacSci IMAX theater, I want the cracking abilities to access eBay seller accounts, backtrack IP addresses, and spike hard drives.:angry I hate people sometimes...

--Jonah

I seriously hope they don't sell any of those tickets, but I am sure they will find someone desperate enough with money to burn.

There has to be a better system for selling tickets for events like this. Not just this premier, but other events as well.

It is very infuriating and unfair, but theaters, concert halls, Disney, movie companies etc... don't care because they can claim "sold out"

Whether they actually fill all the seats or not is a different story, but of course the scalpers only probably need to sell one over-inflated pair to cover their entire cost assuming they didn't get them from an employee friend or something

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back