Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Holy. Man did I tear up. JJ has been a favorite of mine since felicity, and was so stoked when he got this job. But as good as I thought he could make this film, he's going to make it so much better.

Having actually watched the panel now, I was impressed by how likable most of the new actors were. I will say Adam Driver's nervousness was palpable and he seemed a little bewildered by the whole thing. I am very curious to see how Kylo Ren is portrayed. Mark and Carrie were great (though Mark almost seemed a little uncharacteristically deflated) but I was particularly impressed by how genuinely gracious Harrison Ford seemed. I know he hates doing stuff like this and I know Solo was never one of his favorite roles so it was all nice to see.

I just hope they keep going this route. I am a little worried that once Abrams moves on everything is just going to go back to CGI. I hope not.

Surely they wouldnt be that stupid and would see how excited everyone is at the moment over the practical side of things.

Ben

So no Darth Plagues was confirmed in the panel. In the BTS video you do see RS-K2,, which is nice and some R5 domes in the background, Nien Nub and Admiral Akbar heads (assuming they are not other members of the same species), 3PO does have the red arm, what else has now become more "official"?

Just a few things I noticed that may or may not interest people:

The TIE concept art is by Andree Wallin

We see an animatronic head moving its mouth - if you look bottom right you can see this is being driven by a computer that's tracking the motion of a face via a kinect like camera. This movement capture is a technique used to animate digital characters but they chose to drive a practical animatronic instead... Maybe this is done a lot but is new to me!

Question for any fellow dissectors here - at 1:21 we see a huge explosion with presumably Finn and Rey (or their doubles) in the foreground. Thing is, neither is in costume. Any idea why that would be? Seems weird to rehearse with camera and the effect with actors in shot but out of costume.

Not really speculation about the movie, I'm just curious about the process.

Dammit, why'd i watch that? Not i'm all juiced up and december seems like years away.... pfft!

As for that shot with the explosion, it could be getting timing down and that the real thing is a bigger explosion. I'd imagine they don't usually want the real actors that close to a real blast so they're working it out for safety's sake before shooting. Could be the real deal has something actually exploding they can only destroy once and they want the actors to have their bit down pat before doing it..

Wondered about that too! My only real attempt at a conclusion was that this was a run through for the focus/framing/exposure etc. with standins/stunts. On one hand it seems a bit weird to repeatedly do explosions like that but on the other it's not the sort of thing you want to only have one shot at and get wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 0:55 we see a stormtrooper taking a prisoner somwhere. Did anyone notice that the prisoner has the same jacket that Finn wears on Jakku and the Millennium Falcon? So this stormtrooper is probably Finn...

I think there is such a good feeling all around this new franchise that I'm certain it's going to do remarkably well. It has the original cast passing the torch and some really good things being said by even Harrison Ford, who has always been aloof towards the Star Wars mythos. There has been such a transparency with fans feeling over the years that the folks bringing this new saga to life want to do homage to legend as well as tell a great story and it shows in what they're doing.

With the PT being a disappointment for not all, but the majority of fans, I'm completely confident that this new era of Star Wars will finally see our childhoods return!

At 0:55 we see a stormtrooper taking a prisoner somwhere. Did anyone notice that the prisoner has the same jacket that Finn wears on Jakku and the Millennium Falcon? So this stormtrooper is probably Finn...

I think the prisoner is Poe. Interesting, I hadn't considered it might be literally the same jacket. I assumed it was a Rebellion-issue jacket they both have.

So no Darth Plagues was confirmed in the panel. In the BTS video you do see RS-K2,, which is nice and some R5 domes in the background, Nien Nub and Admiral Akbar heads (assuming they are not other members of the same species), 3PO does have the red arm, what else has now become more "official"?

are you referring to the pink droid? that's R2-KT I'll be curious to see if she makes a cameo. can't imagine why she would be on set otherwise.. and not sure if it is a new build or if it is the original droid owned by 501st founder Albin Johnson.

The Behind the Scenes and the one hour panel were amazing and SDCC blew away Celebration Anaheim in my opinion!

here is a better panel video (some quick commercial breaks interrupt but the video will resume)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back