Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Harrison Ford is a talented actor, but he shouldn't bite the hand that's fed him. Star Wars and Indiana Jones put him on his path to stardom, all thanks to George Lucas. He can try and distance himself from that connection all he likes, but he can't hide from it.

I don't think he tries to distance himself much.. he did do Indy 4 after all and the cameo on the Young Indy tv series...
ford.jpg

and he recently did a couple of GL/Star Wars appearances /dinners

He really love the character of Indian Jones, it's Han Solo he has been publicly critical of.

I am too. :lol great character in SW. Pretty darn cool in ESB... kinda silly in RotJ... but then RotJ was all around pretty silly anyway. I think the Prequels lacked a character like that.

Yeah, but even so, I don't see him as trying to distance himself from it, per se, as much as not really being interested in pursuing it.

Ultimately, the need for the Skywalker/Solo clan to appear in this film will depend heavily on where the focus is. If it's their kids, ok, yeah, they'd need to appear or be mentioned or something. If it's a new generation of characters who simply happen to exist in a New Republic universe, then it'd make sense to maybe have some cameos, but not be focused on trying to mix the old characters in with the new.

Absent any kind of familial relationship between the old and new characters, I see no real reason to have them appear for more than about 5-10 min of screen time. Maybe another awards ceremony at the end or something.

I think if they wrote in Han Solo into this new film and asked he would reprise the roll. He may be a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to STAR WARS but his loyalty to GL would likely carry the day.

I hope that we get some of the original ships to make up for the prequel crap that was designed. I want to see the Falcon again and Luke's Xwing

I hope that we get some of the original ships to make up for the prequel crap that was designed. I want to see the Falcon again and Luke's Xwing

that's one thing that, for me, the prequels didn't disappoint... they continued to come up with really great ship and hardware designs. I even liked the Naboo fighters.

I don't think he tries to distance himself much.. he did do Indy 4 after all and the cameo on the Young Indy tv series...
ford.jpg

and he recently did a couple of GL/Star Wars appearances /dinners

He really love the character of Indian Jones, it's Han Solo he has been publicly critical of.

Perhaps I should have left any reference to Indy out of the equation since, yes, he doesn't seem to have shied away from that connection. But it was indeed Han Solo prior to Indy that put him on the map. What his differences are with that character, other than he felt Han should have been killed off, I don't really know, and can otherwise not really see. I know that there are those actors who have shied away from sci-fi and cons and that sort of thing, seeing them as being too geeky or what have you. I just think there are far worse things Harrison Ford could do than reprise the role of Han Solo. And that's by no means me pining for his return as a character because honestly, I didn't really even like Han Solo in either of the original three. I thought he was the consummate *******! :p

Perhaps I should have left any reference to Indy out of the equation since, yes, he doesn't seem to have shied away from that connection. But it was indeed Han Solo prior to Indy that put him on the map. What his differences are with that character, other than he felt Han should have been killed off, I don't really know, and can otherwise not really see. I know that there are those actors who have shied away from sci-fi and cons and that sort of thing, seeing them as being too geeky or what have you. I just think there are far worse things Harrison Ford could do than reprise the role of Han Solo. And that's by no means me pining for his return as a character because honestly, I didn't really even like Han Solo in either of the original three. I thought he was the consummate *******! :p
It could be a matter of "been there, done that" or something along those lines. The story beyond ESB didn't really bring much growth to the character. Though I like his more humorous take on the role in RotJ, it certainly is quite different than the other two.

As explained in interviews, he just couldn't see any further point to the character in the narrative and thought he would have worked better as a diving force for the other characters, by having died early on in the battle.

Maybe he'll get that kind of death in the new one... maybe not. Will be interesting to see what the stories will actually be.

And they shouldn't do a girl, just because it's "IN" these days... however... if it works for the story, then by all means, let the main character be a heroine.

And they shouldn't do a girl, just because it's "IN" these days... however... if it works for the story, then by all means, let the main character be a heroine.

True but they still need to consider the marketing of the film as well and Ahsoka has proven there can be young girl STAR WARS fans. That's GOLD for Disney. And including a character like that I don't think is a story compromise, I think it can make the story more accessible.

Maybe he'll get that kind of death in the new one... maybe not. Will be interesting to see what the stories will actually be.

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that the sequels cannot be any worse than the prequels...! And I've been waiting for about thirty years to see how it all turns out...

Perhaps I should have left any reference to Indy out of the equation since, yes, he doesn't seem to have shied away from that connection. But it was indeed Han Solo prior to Indy that put him on the map. What his differences are with that character, other than he felt Han should have been killed off, I don't really know, and can otherwise not really see.

It's easy to find in the interviews he's done over the years. In fact when the PT was announced he said "I'm surprised George said that because he knows I've got no interest in playing that character again.". He felt the character had no progression, and nothing he could really latch onto in terms of keeping himself interested, which, if you don't need the cash, should be a per-requisite for an actor. Haven't we had enough bored Harrison over the past decade to last us a lifetime? Doing work like that is what turned him into a bit of a punchline. Anyways, he's been nothing but courteous and appreciative about the role and the fans interest. That doesn't mean that saying "Gee, no thanks guys." if the offer comes is 'biting the hand that feeds him'. He did his three, obviously has no problem with Lucas, has taken questions, has done publicity, appreciates what it did for him, but just doesn't feel a need to do that job again.:unsure

For all of those reasons I think you should not have shied away from bringing Indy into the equation. It's clearly illustrative of the difference; Indy's interesting, and has something akin to a three dimensional personality. He's therefore interesting to play, and interesting to explore as he gets older and wiser. Han is one-(FABULOUS)-note, and as an acting challenge just isn't something interesting to explore.

Anyhoo...I wonder if the fact that the next Lucas/Kennedy interview segment is slated for the 31st of December has any portent. They need to get this thing off the ground like, yesterday, to meet a 2015 opening. Stands to reason that there' GOT to be an announcement very, very soon on director at least.

It's easy to find in the interviews he's done over the years. In fact when the PT was announced he said "I'm surprised George said that because he knows I've got no interest in playing that character again.". He felt the character had no progression, and nothing he could really latch onto in terms of keeping himself interested, which, if you don't need the cash, should be a per-requisite for an actor. Haven't we had enough bored Harrison over the past decade to last us a lifetime? Doing work like that is what turned him into a bit of a punchline. Anyways, he's been nothing but courteous and appreciative about the role and the fans interest. That doesn't mean that saying "Gee, no thanks guys." if the offer comes is 'biting the hand that feeds him'. He did his three, obviously has no problem with Lucas, has taken questions, has done publicity, appreciates what it did for him, but just doesn't feel a need to do that job again.:unsure

For all of those reasons I think you should not have shied away from bringing Indy into the equation. It's clearly illustrative of the difference; Indy's interesting, and has something akin to a three dimensional personality. He's therefore interesting to play, and interesting to explore as he gets older and wiser. Han is one-(FABULOUS)-note, and as an acting challenge just isn't something interesting to explore.

Anyhoo...I wonder if the fact that the next Lucas/Kennedy interview segment is slated for the 31st of December has any portent. They need to get this thing off the ground like, yesterday, to meet a 2015 opening. Stands to reason that there' GOT to be an announcement very, very soon on director at least.

Yes. Or not!

come on of course ford will be back. disney will just throw money at him. he will probably get more than the main character actor for doing a cameo.

What is definitely needed is a main villain and constant threat that spans all three movies. The PT had Sidious, but, he was mainly in the shadows so weren't really felt... and the main antagonists where about 1 pr movie - basically the new villain pr. episode trick. Never really giving off that all-powerful, continuous threat - in fact... they were rather beefed up cannon fodder.

What is definitely needed is a main villain and constant threat that spans all three movies. The PT had Sidious, but, he was mainly in the shadows so weren't really felt... and the main antagonists where about 1 pr movie - basically the new villain pr. episode trick. Never really giving off that all-powerful, continuous threat - in fact... they were rather beefed up cannon fodder.

I hated that Darth Maul died in episode one. Would have been great to have him around. I hate that "only two, a master and an apprentice" crap.

I hated that Darth Maul died in episode one. Would have been great to have him around. I hate that "only two, a master and an apprentice" crap.

That was stretched a bit in the PT with Count Dooku, although it was never said outright but it would be logical to believe that he was also an apprentice at the same time as Darth Maul was. I really don't think that the all of a sudden turned to the Dark Side in Ep. 2 or was it 3? In the Clone Wars they show Dooku taking on apprentices of his own which makes it 2 + 1, the master, the apprentice, and the apprentice's apprentice.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back