Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Well...

I would be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that there will not be a new Star Wars film without the droids...Especially R2...Won't happen. I can kinda see a world without 3po...sorta...but R2 will be there, guaranteed.

Like you, I don't need a complete reunion in order for this to work for me. But if Luke is there, you can bet R2 will be too...Just more dented and dirty than we remember him from before.

And you are assuming that it will be a "passing the torch" film. At this point, we don't have a clue if that is what they have in store for us...

Jason

I can remember back in the very early years of the OT, George Lucas was quoted in some article or other as saying essentially the story of Star Wars is told through the eyes of R2 and 3PO. That was back when Star Wars was to be nine episodes. Since that's the premise I was grounded with, that's how I've always played it out in my own mind.

And you are assuming that it will be a "passing the torch" film. At this point, we don't have a clue if that is what they have in store for us...

Not assuming, just stating what I'm hoping for. :)

I too believe that they'll be there. And have heard that it's supposed to be through their eyes thing. That's fine, just not what I'm personally looking for in new Star Wars films. :thumbsup

one must also consider that Disney owns the rights to licensing and toys and everyone loves R2 so to even sell more action figures and plush artoo pillows etc, there will most likely be R2D2, C3P0 in the next films because they don't get old looking like Harry and Carrie and Billy Dee and Marky... etc. :D

I"m all for new characters AND droids though.

No love for the droids?:lol

Threepio and R2 are the Star Wars torchbearers; it wouldn't be the same without them...!

Seriously, I'm all for moving forward as well. I would, however, like to see something grounding.

R2 and 3PO felt very forced and wedged into the prequels. They might as well have went around singing "It's a small world after all!"

Luke needs a major part in the next movies. He should train a new Jedi, and probably die just like Ben, so the new hero is forced to grow up.
I suppose he might still be in possession of the droids. Everyone else from the original trilogy should be lited to cameos, this is the beginning of a new story featuring someone else, not a "where are they now" segment. At least that is my vision.

R2 and 3PO felt very forced and wedged into the prequels. They might as well have went around singing "It's a small world after all!"

I couldn't agree more. But that's the fault of the writer/director, not a problem with the concept of the droids themselves. There were far too little redeeming qualities with the prequels but that horse is dessicated and lying out in the desert somewhere.

It might be funny if Luke called Han and old fossil, lol.

I could go for that!

I couldn't agree more. But that's the fault of the writer/director, not a problem with the concept of the droids themselves. There were far too little redeeming qualities with the prequels but that horse is dessicated and lying out in the desert somewhere.

Well, R2 is Georges muse so his inclusion in the prequels should come as no surprise. What you call "fault" I call a creative choice and one that I was fine with.

the droids served a very important purpose in New Hope... if they could be used for a vital purpose that moves the story forward in an interesting way then their presence will be fine. Just don't include a gleeming gold droid in the woods while everyone else is in camouflage! :D

Well, R2 is Georges muse so his inclusion in the prequels should come as no surprise. What you call "fault" I call a creative choice and one that I was fine with.

I wasn't questioning the inclusion of either droid; I was happy to see both. But they were over-the-top, and as for threepio, his comedic lines didn't come across as funny to me in the prequels as much as the OT. It was almost as if Anthony Daniels was someone else trying to play Anthony Daniels. Whether that was a result of GL's "faster and more intense" approach to the prequels or Anthony himself I can't exactly say, but the effect, to me, didn't work.

Whether that was a result of GL's "faster and more intense" approach to the prequels or Anthony himself I can't exactly say, but the effect, to me, didn't work.
That was the main directive for the OT... there's nothing in the PT that suggests that was even brought up.

I wasn't questioning the inclusion of either droid; I was happy to see both. But they were over-the-top, and as for threepio, his comedic lines didn't come across as funny to me in the prequels as much as the OT. It was almost as if Anthony Daniels was someone else trying to play Anthony Daniels. Whether that was a result of GL's "faster and more intense" approach to the prequels or Anthony himself I can't exactly say, but the effect, to me, didn't work.

I see, that's a fair criticism.

I blame Lucas' clunky dialogue for that. It was blatantly obvious that some of Threepio's lines served no purpose other than an attempt at being humorous, and as a result they felt like they'd been added to the script with a crowbar. I think Daniels simply did the best he could.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back