Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

Jeyl, when the movie comes out, if the female viewers disagree with her role as the "hero" or as you seem to assume, lack there of, they can voice their own concerns.

It seems to me you've assumed they need a spokesman to decide whether or not the female lead was portrayed correctly for them... If you have any actual female friends, run that across them.. they may not appreciate it as much as you think.

You've nailed one of the problems Sluis. A female character who starts out as tough, kickbutt hero from the beginning does not automatically make them great characters. Look at characters like Wyldstyle from the Lego Movie, Trinity from The Matrix and Astrid from How To Train Your Dragon. Both characters are depicted as strong, capable and determined characters, but when the inexperienced guy comes into the picture, their roles are given a massive downgrade where they are left on the side lines where our newly christened hero does all the heavy lifting. But hey, at least those female characters got to hook up with the 'real' hero of the story.

And looking at what this movie has to offer, Rei certainly looks to fit that category. Compare the descriptions to both Finn and Rei's description.
FINN: A trained warrior desperate to escape his past, Finn is plunged into adventure as his conscience drives him down a heroic, but dangerous path.

REY: Rey is a resiliant survivor, a scavanger toughened by a lifetime of dealing with cutthroats of a harsh desert world of Jakku.​

Who sounds like the real hero? A former stormtrooper who's seeking redemption, or a tough scavenger? Cripes, her description sounds more interested in describing the planet Jakku than her actual role in the story. So the kind of female hero you don't like is likely the one you'll be getting in this movie. You want to know what I think would make a good female role? Maybe one who commands the story instead of just playing a supporting role? One who is actually worth talking about? If I knew the answer, you'd better believe I'd be writing stories about them day in and day out.

So... why can't they both be heroes? I don't get the problem.

It seems to me you've assumed they need a spokesman to decide whether or not the female lead was portrayed correctly for them... If you have any actual female friends, run that across them.. they may not appreciate it as much as you think.

I'm no spokesperson. My opinions are my own as are the female viewers. If they prefer male protagonists in the movies they see, that's fine. If they're happy with the way female representation is, that's ok too. If some agree with me, than I'm not alone. If some flat out disagree with me, well, what should I have expected? I'm not going into this believing that women everywhere are going to appreciate me or thank me for having these views, nor should I expect them to conform on how I view the system. If they have something to say, let them say it.

Let me re-iterate. I'm no spokesperson. I'm just a viewer with an opinion. (tysf)

So... why can't they both be heroes? I don't get the problem.

Some heroes go on a journey where they discover that they can be more than what they thought they were, overcome incredible obstacles, manage to get that one in a million shot that changes everything and become the only hope for a war torn galaxy. Other heroes need rescuing in every movie they're featured in, watch a display while everyone else fights, give out medals, get immortalized in skimpy outfits, be told that they're not the best hope for the galaxy, talked into staying behind and be happy knowing that the guys saved the galaxy. +20 years later, we got Padme. I find Star Wars as it is now to be problematic and what we get in The Force Awakens will undoubtably set the stage for how it's going to move forward. So far we've had two major steps in the right direction with this specific issue being addressed and Rogue One actually starring a woman. While these details are important, the execution is going to be even more vital. Felicity Jones could be completely overshadowed by the rather incredible cast of male actors that everyone is more interested in and Rey may turn out to be a completely forgettable character. Will that happen? I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.

Some heroes go on a journey where they discover that they can be more than what they thought they were, overcome incredible obstacles, manage to get that one in a million shot that changes everything and become the only hope for a war torn galaxy. Other heroes need rescuing in every movie they're featured in, watch a display while everyone else fights, give out medals, get immortalized in skimpy outfits, be told that they're not the best hope for the galaxy, talked into staying behind and be happy knowing that the guys saved the galaxy. +20 years later, we got Padme. I find Star Wars as it is now to be problematic and what we get in The Force Awakens will undoubtably set the stage for how it's going to move forward. So far we've had two major steps in the right direction with this specific issue being addressed and Rogue One actually starring a woman. While these details are important, the execution is going to be even more vital. Felicity Jones could be completely overshadowed by the rather incredible cast of male actors that everyone is more interested in and Rey may turn out to be a completely forgettable character. Will that happen? I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.

You are so astoundingly disengeneous. You have jumped into both this thread and Rogue One with completely baseless claims and your evidence is either a poster or a cast photo, both of which prominately feature female leads. Every spoiler and story synopsis in this thread, which at this point are likely more then 90% correct, completely disavow your none sense claims. Yet you plough ahead in desperation trying to prove your specious claims. So now you acknowledge the positive female leads and now just try and say we need to see the product. When that product is released, I await your apology with great enthusiasm.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no spokesperson. My opinions are my own as are the female viewers. If they prefer male protagonists in the movies they see, that's fine. If they're happy with the way female representation is, that's ok too. If some agree with me, than I'm not alone. If some flat out disagree with me, well, what should I have expected? I'm not going into this believing that women everywhere are going to appreciate me or thank me for having these views, nor should I expect them to conform on how I view the system. If they have something to say, let them say it.

Let me re-iterate. I'm no spokesperson. I'm just a viewer with an opinion. (tysf)

Wow, that was surprisingly arrogant and sexist at the same time. Clearly actual women are not capable of forming informed opinions, thankfully you step up to that roll. You have attempted to derail this thread to point this out, that makes you a troll.

Rossible spoiler with Chewie and maybe Han

ozMPpYk.jpg

Oh,......Chewie looks like Chewie,....they've got it right this time,......& the Falcon looks like the Falcon again,....no more of this 32" gibberish

I can't wait to see what kits are on the horizon

J

It would really suck after 30 years to bring back Han , only to kill him off in the first movie. At least get him to the third one. I hope that's not going to be the case.

It would really suck after 30 years to bring back Han , only to kill him off in the first movie. At least get him to the third one. I hope that's not going to be the case.

ford wanted to be killed off in ESB. but Lucas forced him to stay... I can see them off'ing han now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we know this scene. End of film, Han is dead, Rey and Chewie fly off to find Luke. More proof as to the infilm import of Rey to this story. It ends with her, not Finn, handing Luke his lightsaber and potentially beginning her own journey to becoming a Jedi.

Unless you read the TFA script, or have been at the filming next to JJ and his crew, or at least have genuine inside info, what you think you know might not be 100%. We'll see when watching the movie.

Exactly. We know Ford wanted Solo dead before and he also avoided SW like a plague. And here he is back again on the SW ride. And old actor, making BIG money, and you can even say renewing his career.

Han's sacrifice in the film is going to be an incredible moment, especially considering he is going to be killed by possibly his own son. That's how they got Ford back, his character has a very key role in this film and sacrifices himself to save others. Ford doesn't need the $ and I doubt he has interest in doing Saw films for the next 5 years. He's going out in the terms he always envisioned for the character. He also is somewhat down on his luck a bit it seems, estranged from Leia, not part of the bigger Rebellion. Compelling stuff. He and Leia seem to have a moment of some reconciliation before he leaves with Finn and Rey to try and find the mystery of where Luke is and to try and stop the First Order. Kylo Ren is likely his son and Kylo kills him.

Do you have the script in hand or something? That seems like pretty specific information that had never been mentioned online.

It's in this thread in the story synopsis! Is no one reading the spoilers? This entire thread is predicated on discovering spoilers about the film and yet some of you posting recently seem completely ignorant of the spoilers which begs the question if you don't believe them why read this thread?

Last edited:
There is another prerelease thread that doesn't include the "spoilers."

If you don't believe the spoilers are accurate and would only like to discuss what is confirmed, I'd kindly suggest moving to the other thread, instead of spending the time telling us how "wrong" the spoilers are.

You really can't say any of this stuff is spoilers until to movie comes out to prove or disprove them. Everything reported here are potential spoilers.

As far as Han/HF goes, yes Harrison wanted Solo to die after ESB because he felt the character had nowhere else to go. But that's precisely why I don't think Solo will die in TFA...because given HF's past oral history about the character, it would be far too predictable to kill him off now, at least in the first movie. I'm predicting that he will live through TFA to fight another day and be killed off in ep 8.

We'll find out either way in almost exactly 4 months. I can't believe it's almost here after all this waiting, but I can't wait either.

I know I keep harping on the lost opportunities of what were originally going to be twelve films, but this is one of those points. By the time ROTJ actually got made, Han was first a maguffin, then a sidekick. He did have no real point to be there. If it had been expanded out, he would have been rescued in the third "OT" film. Then, with the new Imperial threat... well... threatening, it would have been his shady past that helped them track down people in the next film who knew what was going on and where. Smugglers, crime lords, the black market, the people the government tends to ignore who tend to know all the dirty laundry and secret comings and goings. And the film after would have been, like ESB, intercutting between the space battle and the sabotage mission. So for Harrison to go from anticipation of those thumbnails George had dropped in conversation over the last several years to the truncated and diminished role he ended up with... Yeah, I don't blame him in the least for saying Han should have died in the carbonite by the time they got to him.

When he came out on stage at SDCC, what he said right away got him back was a really good script. If he feels he's being well-used, live or die, he'll want to do it.

--Jonah

When he came out on stage at SDCC, what he said right away got him back was a really good script. If he feels he's being well-used, live or die, he'll want to do it.

--Jonah

Yes, a good script and a script where his character as the most impact to make it work doing again. Nothing more pyoinenient then a sacrifice for the greater good that has meaning. Han is going to die, Luke will not be seen until the final scene on the film beyond a brief flashback and then will become more pivotal in Ep. VIII.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back