Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

JJ Abrams admits he ripped off A New Hope.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/j-j-abrams-responds-complaints-force-awakens-complete-163214721.html

What a talentless hack. What a wasted opportunity.

The Wook

I mean...was it ever a question that doing so was deliberate and part of the design of the film? It was pretty obviously always intended as a "bridge" film, and to do that, it had to have one foot solidly in the past.

I get that you don't like the film, but I don't think you've, like, blown the lid off of a conspiracy. If it's a conspiracy it's one of the most obvious, poorly disguised conspiracies ever. :lol

I guess what I don't get is this: you don't like the film, ok, but the thing you keep pointing to (e.g. "It's a rip off of the original!") hasn't been denied by...um...anyone. Most people just...don't care. So, why continue to say "But it's a ripoff!! Don't you see?! Look, he even admits it here!" We know it's a ripoff. Many of us aren't that bothered by this fact.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=liberge.htm

I don't think it'll catch Avatar, but does it really have to? There's a lot of great info in that link.

- TFA has been open for just about 4 weeks. Avatar was in theaters for 34 weeks.
- 70+% of Avatar and Titanic's worldwide box office came from the foreign market... TFA foreign take is just over 50% of it's total box office.

It's hard to tell what type of legs the movie will have after only 4 weeks. I'll bet that TFA gets a theatrical re-release sometime before Rogue One comes out(both Avatar and Titanic did this as well which boosted their overall totals) as well.

Exactly. I mean, this basically gets back to the notion that box office takings somehow equate to the objective quality of a film. *****, the Transformers movies make money hand over fist and they are AWFUL films. They are, however, successful films, and I don't think anyone could deny that.

So saying something like "It'll never beat Avatar..." well, so what if it won't? TFA has been a complete success. At this point, the only question is just how astronomical a success it ends up being.

Speaking of Rey being lwft in Unkar Plutts care. I cannot imagine what this may have done to her emotionaally wise. Maybe far worse than what happened to Luke and especially Anakin.
Perhaps we are going to see a reversal in the force teachings once she is reunited with her parents?

Yeah, I'm really, really curious to see how Plutt factors into the story again later. Whether they take this apparently loathsome figure and somehow turn him into a sympathetic character. That'd throw a lot of people for a loop, I think.

Is there anywhere that breaks down 3d vs 2d sales? I finally saw TFA in 3d IMAX yesterday. I usually don't see movies in 3d as it bugs my eyes.

BTW - I love TFA and have never seen Avatar.

Is there anywhere that breaks down 3d vs 2d sales? I finally saw TFA in 3d IMAX yesterday. I usually don't see movies in 3d as it bugs my eyes.

Avatar is only worth seeing (in my opinion) to look at how they did the 3D stuff. Provided you also have a bottle of ibuprofen handy, of course. Otherwise, I'd just skip it. There's some cool mechs and ships, but it's ultimately a pretty doofy film in terms of story.

The young boy from tatooine flying a starfighter for the first time and blowing up the main reactor of the droid control ship. The one that was clearly made to look like the death star.

I'd say that was a pretty big nod to ANH

Okay. THAT nod was so damn big that I did not see it during the past 16 years. Honestly. That totally went over my head ... Holy crud, I am shaking in my boots. No kidding. I am shocked that I did not get that or read that in a review or critique or anywhere else. And I ususally think I pick up that kind of stuff quite easily. But then again, I never liked being spoon fed. There´s good mirroring of events in a story and then there is ... the prequels? :p

As stated above Avatar is only worth watching as an IMAX 3D experience. It did bring on a resurgence in 3D done to a new standard. The 3D element is dated by now so, unless you can watch in IMAX 3D, there's really no point to watching it at all.

The story is simple and weak - which seems to make it culturally palatable for foreign markets. The acting is forgettable - especially for the caliber of talent involved.

If you're a James Cameron fan you will be just as perplexed as disappointed. His films in the past have been multilayered stories with care done for the human element while being conceptually engaging and technologically groundbreaking at the same time.
Avatar has the tech and the concepts but lacks nuance. It lacks heart. The film treatment could have been written by a well motivated 15 year old student.

Last edited:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/j-j-abrams-responds-complaints-force-awakens-complete-163214721.html

What a talentless hack. What a wasted opportunity.

The Wook

Why are you even IN this thread? All that I have read from you over the past three weeks in here has been these sorts of terse, negative comments.

Like someone else said, it's fine if you don't like TFA...everyone is free to have their own opinion on that. But this thread is for people to DISCUSS THE FILM... not to take pot shots at it. If you want to actually meaningfully discuss something, then have at it. But just to pop in and tell everyone "It's a world wide bomb" "it's a riff off" JJ Admits he's a hack" blah blah blah. This ain't the place for that.

Start your own thread....you'll be happier there, because we won't be there pestering you.

Ad hominem attacks are not allowed on the RPF. Even passive-aggressive ones, in which you don't have the guts to call me by name.

The Wook

Really...? Ad Hominem attacks aren't allowed? Tell that to the myriad on here who do it daily. LOL

Maybe he didn't call you by name because he didn't think it was necessary to do so in order to drive the point home?

...seems he was right.

Okay. THAT nod was so damn big that I did not see it during the past 16 years. Honestly. That totally went over my head ... Holy crud, I am shaking in my boots. No kidding. I am shocked that I did not get that or read that in a review or critique or anywhere else. And I ususally think I pick up that kind of stuff quite easily. But then again, I never liked being spoon fed. There´s good mirroring of events in a story and then there is ... the prequels? :p

But you know what? The prequels still felt ambitious. Perhaps that's why you overlooked it. It felt like a new story. They may not have been entertaining but they were at least out of step with everything else going on in hollywood. TFA, does not.

But I remember that issue was one of the first thing that critics picked up on as the kool-aid was wearing off. So I have to keep stating that although JJ is defending his "echo" of ANH, George was heavily attacked whenever he did.

- - - Updated - - -

As stated above Avatar is only worth watching as an IMAX 3D experience. It did bring on a resurgence in 3D done to a new standard. The 3D element is dated by now so, unless you can watch in IMAX 3D, there's really no point to watching it at all.

The story is simple and weak - which seems to make it culturally palatable for foreign markets. The acting is forgettable - especially for the caliber of talent involved.

If you're a James Cameron fan you will be just as perplexed as disappointed. His films in the past have been multilayered stories with care done for the human element while being conceptually engaging and technologically groundbreaking at the same time.
Avatar has the tech and the concepts but lacks nuance. It lacks heart. The film treatment could have been written by a well motivated 15 year old student.

I don't know. Even though Avatar isn't very re-watchable, seeing it in the theatre on opening (while never actually seeing an ad for it) was one of the greatest theatre experiences I've ever had

JD, you say he "crafted things in new ways that worked". I can't think of anything of significance you might be referring to.
The easiest and best example would be Kylo "Anakin" Ren. While not a "rip off" of ANH - one could argue the similarity between the Kylo Ren and the (prequel trilogy) Anakin Skywalker characters. Yes, Anakin had Jedi training that I'm sure could reason helped keep his emotion in check - and while he had his struggles with emotion (the Padme relationship, the Tusken Raider massacre), I hope I'm not alone by saying I would've loved to have seen more emotional outbursts from him like we did from Ben Solo.

I think that's crafting something in a new way that worked. You might not think so.

Why are you even IN this thread? All that I have read from you over the past three weeks in here has been these sorts of terse, negative comments.

Start your own thread....you'll be happier there, because we won't be there pestering you.

NOOOOooooooooooo ... not another thread that needs to be integrated into this one :p Not another "I hate TFA and that is why ...". A lot of people will be less happy to see another TFA thread. With the entertainment forum started an era of "one thread per movie", and I think that is absolutely fine. We do not need to react to other´s posts, and that´s fine by me. I´ve known the Wook for quite a few years here on the RPF, so I personally am less aggravated by his posts and while I do not understand his sentiments and / or would subscribe to any of the arguments against TFA being a good film, he´s fine. Put him on ignore and you won´t see posts. Looks like the ignore feature is forgotten theses days. Maybe there was a map to it in one of those imperial data bases that got blown up with the first Death Star. Or the second one? I am losing track there ...

Abrams did not write the script himself. There was also Arndt and Kasdan.
Then there were all the members of Lucasfilm Story Group - including Kennedy and Hidalgo, that should have been aware of the issues and could have stopped it. Or maybe the idea came from them - we don't know yet. I think all of them could be worthy of the blame. Ultimately though, it would have been Kennedy's decision.

Regardless of who's idea or decision it was to mirror ANH (and ROTJ) so much, it is Abrams job to promote the movie in media, and that includes responding to complaints in a manner that is consistent with Lucasfilm's official standpoint.

(I think I wrote this already in the other thread, but if I'm wrong and repeating myself here then my apologies)

The easiest and best example would be Kylo "Anakin" Ren. While not a "rip off" of ANH - one could argue the similarity between the Kylo Ren and the (prequel trilogy) Anakin Skywalker characters. Yes, Anakin had Jedi training that I'm sure could reason helped keep his emotion in check - and while he had his struggles with emotion (the Padme relationship, the Tusken Raider massacre), I hope I'm not alone by saying I would've loved to have seen more emotional outbursts from him like we did from Ben Solo.

I think that's crafting something in a new way that worked. You might not think so.

I did like how Kylo came unhinged so easily, and would've liked to have seen more of that out of Anakin. When Kylo carved up that room and the Stormtroopers turned around and went the other way was one of TFA's few bright spots. But, while I like your example, it is completely overwhelmed but how much was wrong with the movie.

I mean...was it ever a question that doing so was deliberate and part of the design of the film? It was pretty obviously always intended as a "bridge" film, and to do that, it had to have one foot solidly in the past.

I get that you don't like the film, but I don't think you've, like, blown the lid off of a conspiracy. If it's a conspiracy it's one of the most obvious, poorly disguised conspiracies ever. :lol

I guess what I don't get is this: you don't like the film, ok, but the thing you keep pointing to (e.g. "It's a rip off of the original!") hasn't been denied by...um...anyone. Most people just...don't care. So, why continue to say "But it's a ripoff!! Don't you see?! Look, he even admits it here!" We know it's a ripoff. Many of us aren't that bothered by this fact.

Exactly. I mean, this basically gets back to the notion that box office takings somehow equate to the objective quality of a film. *****, the Transformers movies make money hand over fist and they are AWFUL films. They are, however, successful films, and I don't think anyone could deny that.

So saying something like "It'll never beat Avatar..." well, so what if it won't? TFA has been a complete success. At this point, the only question is just how astronomical a success it ends up being.

I didn't know TFA was gonna be a total ripoff of ANH before I saw the movie. Maybe you did. But I was spoiler-free when I walked into the theater on December 17th.

I agree, there is no correlation with a film's box office haul and its artistic quality. I was merely pointing out that it bombed in China, thereby dooming it to fall short of Avatar's worldwide record. That, plus the fact that it's faltering domestically, as well, nearly being toppled by The Revenant this past weekend.

Your characterization of TFA having one foot solidly in the past is a gross understatement. It is a lazy, uninspired, shameless, and cynical rip-off.

But it being a ripoff is not the only problem I've articulated in this thread. I have past posts buried somewhere in this monstrosity that point to other faults in the film, such as the out-of-character part they wrote for Chewie. The writing was awful, much of the acting was phoned in (Ford), the film was improperly lit, the soundtrack was dull to the point of being conspicuously absent, and the laws of physics were blatantly ignored like in so many other movies in the last decade or so.

However, the two most egregious faults in the film are that it is a blatant ripoff of ANH, and that the protagonist is a Mary Sue. I'm all for girl power, but the feminist movement is ill-served by studios creating heroines who know everything, who never struggle with their gifts, who never work at honing their gifts, and never make sacrifices along the way. Perhaps Rey will do that in Episode VIII, but it'll be too late. It should've happened in TFA. I love Daisy Ridley, and I posted on this thread previously that I think she did a fantastic job in the role--I just didn't like how her role was written to be so instantly all-powerful. I posted that I fell in love with Rey when she quipped to Finn, "That was lucky!". But my love for her was stunted time after time after time in the movie, by her absurd facility with the Force, just hours after learning of its existence.

I agree. Since J.J. is a part of the community here, I think you should edit your previous comment.

JJ's a celebrity, and a member here or not, is fair game for ad hominem attacks. He'd be the first one to tell you that. But, if you're telling the truth, then cool, what's his handle? I'll send him a PM with an apology, regardless--simply cuz I'm a nice guy.

The Wook

Last edited:
This is why I tried not to get too excited for this film.
I knew if my expectations were too high that I would end up disappointed.
My only hope going in was that it would be better than the prequels.
I think they succeeded.
I have some qualms with the film, too, and the recycled story is one of them.
(Another death star? Really?)
But it's a fun movie, and the strengths far outweigh it's weaknesses for me.
For every scene that made me roll my eyes or outright infuriated me,
there was a scene that completely blew me away and gave me everything I want from a Star Wars movie.

I frikkin' LOVE Rey. Mary Sue or not, I think she's the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Luke Skywalker, and I can't wait to see where her journey takes her.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back