STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

So far I've watched Episodes 1/2 (the pilot) and 3. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it! The whole thing has a very McQuarrie look to it, and I'm digging the characters working together as a crew. Actually it kinda reminds me of Firefly, to be honest, and that's a good thing.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where the show goes. I doubt it'll be consistently amazing, but as long as it stays "good enough," that's fine by me.

Very McQuarrie, to the point that in one episode there was a background character that looked exactly like one of the original Luke (or is it Han) concept drawings. I recognized that one immediately and thought that it was pretty cool.

One of the things that I'm enjoying, and hope to see more of, is that we get to see more of the Imperial fleet than just Star Destroyers; I liked that we got that see that little patrol craft that carries 4 TIEs. I'm hoping that as the show goes on we get to see at least a couple more different Imperial naval ships, maybe even an old Clone Wars era Star Destroyer on its last legs or something.

Why would it need to be rated PG13 to be a good Star Wars show?

First off, TV shows are not rated that way, it is strictly a theatrical release sort of rating. Second, with the exception of Revenge of the Sith, all Star Wars movies are rated PG.

It's not about the rating. When they were making the clone wars, they just made it. They had a bunch of stories and they didn't direct it toward any audience. Heck, they didn't even know who was gonna show it. In the end , it was rated pg-13 (In canada, anyway). So because of that, we were able to see the actual brutality of the clone wars. There was a level of threat going on. So far, the stormtroopers are less threatening than battle droids. (and not quite as funny)

There was also a level of sophistication going on. They could even add sympathy to the bad guys.
Did you see any of the darth maul series in the clone wars? Or mandalore? The night sisters? I actually have a hard time seeing that this will go as far as that.

For me, the real test of this show is one of disney. This is the first thing they've produced

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I expected a Disney show that I wouldn't get into... But I really love it.

I saw the mandalor stuff... TBH I'd rather have left that kind of stuff left up in the unknown.

Night sisters? No interest from what I've read.

Disney is giving us a firefly esque Star Wars OT adventure.

We just got started.

And the first CW movie and first few seasons were a bunch of re thrown together PT crap filled with "stinky" and "skyguy" "jokes"...

Garbage.

The rebels gives me the old school vibe. (TK's always missed and we're almost never comedic on purpose in the OT)

You are a bit younger than I messa thinks?

As has been pointed out, this show is just starting out, give it some time to for everybody involved to get a feel for what they're doing and where they want to take the show. At 3 full episodes and a 1 hour movie it's early yet for them to get their footing, Clone Wars didn't hit out of the park at the beginning either.

Speaking of Clone Wars, were you watching the same Clone Wars that I was because it was sure as hell aimed at a particular audience; kids. This is especially true in the earlier episodes where it was lighter in tone and definitely aimed more towards the kids than adults, it wasn't until about halfway into its run that it started getting a bit darker and more serious. Even then they had still had their lighter/sillier moments to keep the kids entertained, like pretty much any scene involving battle droids. Face the facts, anything that airs on Disney or the Disney X, Nickelodeon, most of Cartoon Network is not going to be aimed towards adults or even a general audience, they're going to be meant for kids and if adults happen to get into the shows then that's just fine and the cherry on top. That doesn't take away from the fact that their core audience that they're hoping to appeal to the kids and if they find that it's not then they'll cancel regardless of how popular it may to be to adults. This is basically why Nick put Korra online and streaming only, it wasn't appealing to the kids, same with Young Justice, not enough kids watching and buying the toys even though plenty of adults were watching, we just weren't their target audience.

While I can appreciate that it's a Disney Channel show, and it's target audience isn't adults, but that's no excuse for dumbing it down or making it too childish. I watched the Phineas and Ferb special, whose target audience is, what... 8-12? I found myself thinking "Whoa, that's a bit on the adult side!" a few times. You can aim a show at kids without talking down to them. It doesn't hurt to challenge them intellectually... Even with animated sci-fi fantasy. They may not get it right away, but they will, and be all the better for it.

While I can appreciate that it's a Disney Channel show, and it's target audience isn't adults, but that's no excuse for dumbing it down or making it too childish. I watched the Phineas and Ferb special, whose target audience is, what... 8-12? I found myself thinking "Whoa, that's a bit on the adult side!" a few times. You can aim a show at kids without talking down to them. It doesn't hurt to challenge them intellectually... Even with animated sci-fi fantasy. They may not get it right away, but they will, and be all the better for it.

Honestly, I don't think anything's been "dumbed down" yet. At least not based on what little I've seen so far. I think what folks may be reacting to is the animation style which is a bit more....hmm...exaggerated than Clone Wars was? The characters strike poses and have facial reactions that are more in keeping with traditional animation. Visually, that may act as a "cue" for "This is for kids." I think that the tone of the show is much more universal, similar to the original trilogy, mostly.

On the whole, I think the show is designed to appeal to kids as a primary market, but in a way that adults will be happy to watch the show with their kids, and which fans of the franchise can appreciate.

For those of you who've been watching the Clone Wars cartoon for years, seriously, go back and try rewatching the film and first season. In terms of the tone and "made for kids" vibe, the two shows are about the same, with Clone Wars maybe being even a bit more childish in its humor due to the Battle Droids, and some of the "skyguy" references. My point here is that Rome wasn't built in a day, Clone Wars didn't get as good as y'all think it is overnight, and Rebels will take a bit to warm up. I think the show has real potential, provided you accept that it's a cartoon on a network with kids as the target demographic. I expect we'll see a bit more complexity as time wears on, but this show isn't going to be "dark" or "serious" in tone. It'll be much more in the "universally appealing adventure" vibe of an old Flash Gordon serial or the first Star Wars movie.

It's Star Wars, so of course it is aimed at kids. Everything after the original is.

Um, so was the original…...

It's getting silly watching adults argue about a cartoon on Disney being targeted at a 6-15 year old demographic and trying to deny reality. Especially when those same adults fell in love with SW as children…because it was made for them. I was 9 when ANH was released, it was made for ME> And any forensic review of George Lucas and the making of ANH should be aware of this fact.

Still loving this show. I geeked out big time when I saw the troop transport, and the relationship between Aladdin and Lemmy from Motorhead is clearly going to be fun. I loved Clone Wars, but this is a breath of fresh air after sixteen years of rigid, joyless PT era entertainment. It's PLAYFUL. Hallelujah.

Still loving this show. I geeked out big time when I saw the troop transport, and the relationship between Aladdin and Lemmy from Motorhead is clearly going to be fun. I loved Clone Wars, but this is a breath of fresh air after sixteen years of rigid, joyless PT era entertainment. It's PLAYFUL. Hallelujah.

Best comment I have read online all day. :)

Because you and others in this thread GET IT. The only way for SW to remain relevant is doing what it has always done best: capture the imagination of a new generations of fans. That is what this show is. A show my n18 month old son will eventually watch, along with all the new animated and kid friendly content we are sure to see over the coming years. This idea of Clone Wars or Rebels catering to MY GENERATION is laughable. It's great if we can like it, but if not we have the films coming up regardless. So be critical of Rebels for the right reasons, not because it lacks sufficient angst. I'm not interested in my little boy watching a cartoon like that.

Um, so was the original…...

It's getting silly watching adults argue about a cartoon on Disney being targeted at a 6-15 year old demographic and trying to deny reality. Especially when those same adults fell in love with SW as children…because it was made for them. I was 9 when ANH was released, it was made for ME> And any forensic review of George Lucas and the making of ANH should be aware of this fact.
I'm just still angry about ewoks and Jar Jar.

To get back on topic, so far my only real complaint is still the wookies. But I have not seen episode three yet.

I'm just still angry about ewoks and Jar Jar.

To get back on topic, so far my only real complaint is still the wookies. But I have not seen episode three yet.

I was a freshman in high school when ROTJ came out and they didn't bother me in the slightest. You must let Go of your anger. :)

I think he was referring to the wookies in ep. 1 of Rebels, Spark of Rebellion.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

No I know I was just referring to the Ewoks. Even though Jar Jar was not winner for me as an adult, I was able to get beyond him and enjoy TPM. The animation style is a work in progress, but it's not photo realistic and it's not the CW and I think that is the correct instinct.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back