STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

What?!?! You didn't re-read through the 800 posts in this thread before you posted? For shame.

;)

too many soft drinks from aluminum cans... dementia in my future I'm afraid! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Has any date been announced for the roll out of all the associated toys (and a few others, perhaps)?

the show is scheduled for October so I would imagine things will start pretty soon... I bet we will see stuff on the shelf in September... just in time for the "get this for Xmas" promotions! :D

What?!?! You didn't re-read through the 800 posts in this thread before you posted? For shame.

;)

Ha! Alas, no... I left the rpf in August of last year for a breather until May of this year. I had posted in this thread once or twice but I haven't gone back to read anything between when I left and returned; I just picked back up at the end. Apparently I've missed out on some of the humor! :lol

I remember the Episode One guide stating that the person who designed Darth Maul's inquisitor also designed the Tie Fighter. Nice subtle continuity there.

I hated the "Sith infiltrator" for the IMO lame nod to the OT, and now I do really hate the "Advanced TIE" for the same reasons. It looks too much like they took PT and OT parts and just mashed them together. There is absolutely no transition going on. Where the X1´s design elements repeated themselves and hence made it a coherent design, this one simply looks "bleh", because the rather compact eyeball is only supported by small and fragile looking wings. It has nothing menacing to it like the X-1 gets from its agressive, almost brutal edges. It looks plump and pudgy. Like a fat hen rather than a TIE. In fact, it reminds me a lot of this :

header.jpg

when we always wanted this:
tie-fighter-hasbro_jpg.jpg

I hated the "Sith infiltrator" for the IMO lame nod to the OT, and now I do really hate the "Advanced TIE" for the same reasons. It looks too much like they took PT and OT parts and just mashed them together. There is absolutely no transition going on.

I actually didn't mind the Sith Infiltrator design, nor did I really see it as a deliberate nod to the tie-fighter design. There's still plenty of differences between both designs that you could easily classify the infiltrator as a design not inspired by anything. Tie-Fighters never had folding wings and they were never that large.

But there is certainly something wrong with this model of Tie Advance. This feels more like a lego set swap than an actual evolution of design mechanics. I also had the same feeling towards the Jedi Starfighters in Episode 3. That Tie-Fighter cockpit window was such a deliberate "in your face" call back to the Tie Fighter cockpit window that it felt forced. There was no practical reason reason to have it when the canopy itself is large enough to get a wide view of what's in front of you.

I agree, now it seems as if they are just doing the ol' mix and match. Just taking apart old ships and putting them back together differently.

I agree, now it seems as if they are just doing the ol' mix and match. Just taking apart old ships and putting them back together differently.

Yes, it´s a strange design decision, since IIRC Filoni himself said once that they are going to pull most of the Rebels designs from old McQ design studies and unused designs for better known vehicles.

Yes, it´s a strange design decision, since IIRC Filoni himself said once that they are going to pull most of the Rebels designs from old McQ design studies and unused designs for better known vehicles.

And they are doing that. For example, the squatty winged TIEs in Rebels are similar to McQ's TIE images. But they are going to need more designs for different vehicles than what McQ came up with.

I don't see what the big deal is. Vader had a TIE Advance x1, and this is its obvious predecessor. It has a wing design that has been very successful in previous fighter designs. The progression seems logical to me.

Also, why must a wing design be unique for ever new ship design. How many different makes of fighter jets exist in the past 50 years that have wing similar wing designs similar to one another? Answer: A lot.

That Tie-Fighter cockpit window was such a deliberate "in your face" call back to the Tie Fighter cockpit window that it felt forced. There was no practical reason reason to have it when the canopy itself is large enough to get a wide view of what's in front of you.

What's wrong with that? It's certainly preferable to a canopy where it's looking out of a soda straw and there's no such thing as having too much view in a fighter, why else do you think US fighters are designed with bubble canopies? There's a maxim that's actually taught at Top Gun, "Lose sight, lose the fight". Of course, none of the fighters seen in any Star Wars incarnation have really all that great of a canopy design, the TIE has an excellent forward view but you can't see behind you, vision to the side and top is greatly restricted. The X-Wing has a better all around view than the TIEs but has poor rearward visibility, the same goes for the Y wing, and the B-Wing has no rearward visibility at all. Then there's the A-Wing and the Naboo starfighter which both have visibility comparable to the average WW II fighter with good visibility to the front, side, and top, and only limited visibility to the rear.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back