Star Wars in 3D show off thread

I have added the fly thru movie I mentioned earlier. Just go to my website and follow the link under the animate dposter.

Alternatively just click here http://syndime.com/StarWars.html

This is a large (31mb) file, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the nice comments.
I have answered all of the emails and PMs I have received, but it's probably a good idea to post some of the answers here.

The poster is a full 3D conversion. I can do this conversion from any flat image whether it's a painting or drawing, photo or still from a movie. This is not the usual layered system you seen in breakfast cereal give-aways. Hopefully the new movie on the website shows that.

The largest I can do these in one piece is 6'x4'. I have done a few of these as one off items for exhibitions and a couple in large runs for bus shelter adverts. I have also done a two panel (8' wide, 6' tall) installation in a hotel. These things look awesome if you are able to backlight them!

If this one sells well there should be others. I'd vote to complete the original trilogy posters.

I see what you mean by layering now. What I was asking about was how many individual images were used the make the 3D effect? (i.e. stereo uses 2 images, the minimum for 3D) Then cut into strips for the lenses(digitally I assume). Of course, no matter how many you have you are only using two at a time :)

What I was asking about was how many individual images were used the make the 3D effect? (i.e. stereo uses 2 images, the minimum for 3D)

Gotcha. 20 images. I generally use 8 or 12 for lenticular and I normally use 40 for a stereogram and 80 for a hologram.

There are some more pictures on my website now so anybody with 3D glasses (red/green or red/blue) or anyone who can "free-view" 3D pictures, will be able to see the effect.

Awsome Kevin, That is going to be smooth.

I will have to check out your site for sure. I still own two 3D cameras, a Loreo and a Nimslo. Wish I had the ones we had at work though.

That's great! I'm confused as to how it was done without a 3D image to work from (such as one taken from a 3D camera). I mean, where does one get the angles to work from?

Either way, I wan't one.

Hi Darth,

It's tricky to explain, but here goes.
I developed a system that used a 3D game engine we wrote years ago. That engine would let me input multiple views of an object and tell the system what corners match up. Then it output a rough 3D object ready for me to refine and enhance. Old technology now.

The next step was to input a flat single image and tell the software what is missing myself. That's possible partly because there is other reference for things (eg. we all know what an x-wing looks like) and also because I'm an artists and can create these things from scratch with a pencil and paper.

I don't want to give away more than that because it's "my precious". ;)

Nice! Any chance you could post some other angles to give us an idea of the 3D?

I have small collection of theatrical release lenticular posters. I think I'll probably be adding this one!

Very nice!

I just wish it was a standard poster size, 27" x 40"...

Yes, so do I.
The expensive part of these is the lens. If you were to go up to that size it would cost more than twice as much to manufacture. This size means it's fairly large but it won't bankrupt you.

As soon as I know the price I'll post it here.

Wow, that's so cool I can hardly stand it.

Kevin, thanks for sharing this with all of us, and thanks for being willing to explain the process a bit. Very much looking forward to owning one of these too!!

Cool, cool, cool, cool times a million!

Thanks for all the generous praise!

If this one sells well, what other posters might be popular?
It doesn't have to be a movie poster, it could be a still from a scene.
Personally I'd like to do the poster for Raiders where he's wielding the whip. I'd also like to complete the Star Wars poster set.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the generous praise!

If this one sells well, what other posters might be popular?
It doesn't have to be a movie poster, it could be a still from a scene.
Personally I'd like to do the poster for Raiders where he's wielding the whip. I'd also like to complete the Star Wars poster set.

Any suggestions?
Well, the Star Wars circus poster would be a must, as would the Chaykin advance... :) both have lots of detail and potential depth of field...

That's most impressive work, Kevin!

I'm suddenly struck by a thought. Did you know that Daily Prophet newspapers feature 3D "living" photos? Why, I bet you didn't know that! :angel

Nice work Kevin. The closer I look at it the more work I see you've put in. Just need to look at Luke's E-11 for example, you have created areas that were never seen but blend seamlesly with the original poster! :wacko

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back