Star Wars: Battlefront

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...cial&****=29370&ts=1485904804066&sf52435048=1

According to this update, "no future Skirmish content is planned". So when the playing community either dies out or the servers are cut, the DLC will completely disappear... great...

And I pretty much only play the DLC exclusively since I find the original maps quite boring. Besides Hoth, I don't get much of a Star Wars experience from the Tatooine maps (which are just desert canyons, no Mos Eisley or anything), the Endor maps (which are just forests and a small base), or the Sullust maps (which are not even in the films).

Oh well, I hope the next game will have a better showing than this.

urge to kill: in Starfighter mode, you pick up some Y-Wings or whatever, and they immediately crash into the environment. Really?

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...cial&****=29370&ts=1485904804066&sf52435048=1

According to this update, "no future Skirmish content is planned". So when the playing community either dies out or the servers are cut, the DLC will completely disappear... great...

And I pretty much only play the DLC exclusively since I find the original maps quite boring. Besides Hoth, I don't get much of a Star Wars experience from the Tatooine maps (which are just desert canyons, no Mos Eisley or anything), the Endor maps (which are just forests and a small base), or the Sullust maps (which are not even in the films).

That's a bit disappointing, but not at all surprising. I mean, the fact that there's any kind of offline mode at all is no small miracle, considering how, say, BF3 or BFBC2 was designed. Those games were both online-only, other than the SP campaigns (which was great in BC2, and crap in BF3).

This is how EA/DICE operates, which is why you should never pay top dollar for an EA/DICE game.

swell.

According to me "no purchase is planned for the next great star wars game without offline mode for all content."

Paying well earned money for vapor ware, no thanks. So happy I skipped this :)

It won't. It's EA.
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"

Paying well earned money for vapor ware, no thanks. So happy I skipped this :)

To be fair, it's less vapor-ware, and more ware-that-can-evaporate.

And honestly, the game is pretty good, depending on what you pay for it. It's not worth the $60 price tag, but for $20-30 it's a solid buy. At least for the online play, which I've enjoyed since I bought it. Offline is kinda lame. But I also knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and while I was disappointed with the final product in terms of what it could have been, I have enjoyed myself playing the game. Not as much as I'd have hoped to, but it wasn't wasted money.

To be fair, it's less vapor-ware, and more ware-that-can-evaporate.

And honestly, the game is pretty good, depending on what you pay for it. It's not worth the $60 price tag, but for $20-30 it's a solid buy. At least for the online play, which I've enjoyed since I bought it. Offline is kinda lame. But I also knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and while I was disappointed with the final product in terms of what it could have been, I have enjoyed myself playing the game. Not as much as I'd have hoped to, but it wasn't wasted money.

So basically the "ultimate" edition is almost worth it, which costs around $30 and includes all of the DLC stuff

So basically the "ultimate" edition is almost worth it, which costs around $30 and includes all of the DLC stuff

In my opinion, yeah. The "Ultimate Edition" or GOTY or whatever, with all the DLC thrown in, is worth around $20-30. The base game maps are good, especially after having been tweaked over the last year or so. The first two DLC are solid. The second two have moments that are cool and added some neat stuff, but the maps are a very mixed bag. If you get, oh, 50 hours of enjoyment out of it, you'll get your money's worth.

I came across a claim that hacking is not possible on PS4, is that true? Because I had a guy in starfighter mode killing me repeatedly with two shots from a Tie Interceptor. Two friggin' hits. And it wasn't like one or both of those were missiles, Tie/Ins do not have missiles. And when I shot him it was like he had Hero resilience.

urge to kill: in Starfighter mode, you pick up some Y-Wings or whatever, and they immediately crash into the environment. Really?
Also: being put into a game less than a minute away from ending. Or less than 6 or 7, really. I want my 10 minutes.

I came across a claim that hacking is not possible on PS4, is that true? Because I had a guy in starfighter mode killing me repeatedly with two shots from a Tie Interceptor. Two friggin' hits. And it wasn't like one or both of those were missiles, Tie/Ins do not have missiles. And when I shot him it was like he had Hero resilience.

The T/I has 4 cannons, and its special attack is some burst mode thing where I think it dishes a ton of damage at once.

There are a few other things that may come into play here, too.

1. Flying slower makes your lasers more powerful. Someone who knows how to effectively throttle down when firing can dish more damage than other folks you might run into.

2. The game is notorious for showing you land hits on an enemy craft, but do no actual damage. If the hit indicator flashed, then you may have just been flying too fast and did less damage. Try playing with the throttle more to get used to flying at different speeds and the damage you dish out.

3. Lag is always a factor, given that we're thrown together with God knows who online, living God knows where. The matchmaking is supposed to give you the best connection available...but that could be good or crap, depending on what's available.

As for hacks, I have no idea if they are possible. It wouldn't surprise me, but I suspect it's rare.

Going slower makes your lasers more powerful? WTH? I really hope they make 2 closed to the originals crossed with Battlefield. Between that an AT-ATs with shields, I'm glad I skipped this one. The other day I was playing with my nephew and I was saying "That's stupid, AT-ATs don't have shields!" and he said "If you're going to complain can I go see if Alex can play?" :lol

I know the tactics with the throttle, etc....I haven't gotten to level 52 in a few weeks for nothin'. ;)
However, before I oversell myself....I... somehow.... inexplicably.... did not know of the laser barrage attack. I knew missiles had been removed but missed that this replaced them.
Reading up on it....yeah, that was probably it.

Dayum. Level 53 here I come.

Going slower makes your lasers more powerful? WTH? I really hope they make 2 closed to the originals crossed with Battlefield. Between that an AT-ATs with shields, I'm glad I skipped this one. The other day I was playing with my nephew and I was saying "That's stupid, AT-ATs don't have shields!" and he said "If you're going to complain can I go see if Alex can play?" :lol

It's just for gameplay purposes. And for what it's worth, early on, the walkers were a LOT harder to take down, and the Empire won basically every battle. Might be true to the films, but sure ain't fun to play. And the thing is, that mode is probably THE most fun mode to play. One of the top three, certainly.

The lasers thing was added later in the game's lifespan. It used to not matter how fast you flew. The lock-on feature in the game for ships also used to be unlimited. As long as you could hold the lock visually, you could pretty much "stay on target!" forever. They now made it so that locking on can overheat, which means the really good pilots can land eyeballed shots, and everyone else sprays and prays, or waits to get a decent visual and then locks on.

I know the tactics with the throttle, etc....I haven't gotten to level 52 in a few weeks for nothin'. ;)
However, before I oversell myself....I... somehow.... inexplicably.... did not know of the laser barrage attack. I knew missiles had been removed but missed that this replaced them.
Reading up on it....yeah, that was probably it.

Dayum. Level 53 here I come.

Yeah, laser barrage is apparently pretty powerful, but I haven't figured it out. I gather it's basically like a shotgun approach, and only really works at short range. I think in SWBF2, one of the ships had something like that, but it might've been in the Clone Wars era.

I hope if they include the AT-AT thing they do it more like Battlefront 2. The AT-AT was strong enough to survive, but if you put up a good attack with launchers and Snowspeeders you could win. It was a LOT more fun.

A little montage I put together for the fun of it:

And about my gamertag... yeah. It was just SARS, but then I got mono when it was time to renew my Gold, so yeah.

SB

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Ultimate edition on PS4 the other day, now that it only costs about 150 SEK/$16. Brilliant graphics. But I am glad I didn't pay more than I did.

Yeah, for me, I got my $40 out of the whole package. No question. But it definitely wasn't worth the roughly $80-100 they wanted at launch, and I probably got closer to $35, given how little I played Death Star and Scarif. I just didn't end up enjoying those modes, given how the maps were designed.

Yeah, for me, I got my $40 out of the whole package. No question. But it definitely wasn't worth the roughly $80-100 they wanted at launch, and I probably got closer to $35, given how little I played Death Star and Scarif. I just didn't end up enjoying those modes, given how the maps were designed.

It's always been fascinating to me how entertainment is valued- especially video games. (Note: this isn't directed at you Dan, it just got me thinking!) On the whole, people seem to value playing games less than many other types of fun, or commodities. You see people complaining like children on Steam over how they got screwed out of five dollars when they've spent several hours playing something that a bunch of people slaved over for a long time, but will not bat an eye on paying three times as much for fast-food that will be scarfed down in five minutes. (Or paying ten times that for a shot of very fine whiskey.)

A movie costs up to around $20 for an adult and that's roughly two hours of non-interactive entertainment. A game, on the other hand, involves you in ways movies do not. (That's not to say they are "better" of course, just different, and games today can engage people emotionally almost the same way that movies do, even if it's more rare.)

If someone is playing a game and having fun doing it, what amount of playing time needs to be met before the game has reached the same value as a film?

Around 1985, a Star Trek game that looked like this cost about $120 in a computer shop (I remember seeing it at a mall as a kid):
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9KL1EvNjAyMDU0L29yaWdpbmFsL1N0YXItVHJlay1UaGUtS29iYXlvc2hpLUFsdGVybmF0aXZlLmpwZw==

Compare that to what you get today for a lot less, Battlefront for example. (Naturally, things like potential sales numbers and team size play a big part in pricing.) I think this is especially interesting since I'm currently working on a "passion project" indie game. (It's called "Lone Star Pilot™... think the space exploration of 1980s game "Starflight", the slow submarine-in-space combat of "The Wrath of Khan" and the melee derelict-infiltration combat of "Aliens", as viewed from Gorman's perspective.) When it's done it'll have several man-years of work put into it by only 2-3 people, but it's not going to have triple-A production values. It'll have fairly primitive, if unique, graphics but hopefully give maybe 20-40 hours of gameplay that will be pure joy to a small core group of maybe a few thousad but utter boredom to most others. And I already wonder what kinds of discussions will be taking place, depending on what it ends up costing.

Sorry for the derail... but it's very interesting to see how games are valued.

It's always been fascinating to me how entertainment is valued- especially video games. (Note: this isn't directed at you Dan, it just got me thinking!) On the whole, people seem to value playing games less than many other types of fun, or commodities. You see people complaining like children on Steam over how they got screwed out of five dollars when they've spent several hours playing something that a bunch of people slaved over for a long time, but will not bat an eye on paying three times as much for fast-food that will be scarfed down in five minutes. (Or paying ten times that for a shot of very fine whiskey.)

A movie costs up to around $20 for an adult and that's roughly two hours of non-interactive entertainment. A game, on the other hand, involves you in ways movies do not. (That's not to say they are "better" of course, just different, and games today can engage people emotionally almost the same way that movies do, even if it's more rare.)

If someone is playing a game and having fun doing it, what amount of playing time needs to be met before the game has reached the same value as a film?

Around 1985, a Star Trek game that looked like this cost about $120 in a computer shop (I remember seeing it at a mall as a kid):
https://img.purch.com/rc/600x450/aH...lay1UaGUtS29iYXlvc2hpLUFsdGVybmF0aXZlLmpwZw==

Compare that to what you get today for a lot less, Battlefront for example. (Naturally, things like potential sales numbers and team size play a big part in pricing.) I think this is especially interesting since I'm currently working on a "passion project" indie game. (It's called "Lone Star Pilot™... think the space exploration of 1980s game "Starflight", the slow submarine-in-space combat of "The Wrath of Khan" and the melee derelict-infiltration combat of "Aliens", as viewed from Gorman's perspective.) When it's done it'll have several man-years of work put into it by only 2-3 people, but it's not going to have triple-A production values. It'll have fairly primitive, if unique, graphics but hopefully give maybe 20-40 hours of gameplay that will be pure joy to a small core group of maybe a few thousad but utter boredom to most others. And I already wonder what kinds of discussions will be taking place, depending on what it ends up costing.

Sorry for the derail... but it's very interesting to see how games are valued.

I think you're seeing a few factors at work.

1. Entertainment is not valued consistently by consumers. By that, I mean there isn't an absolute continuum on which all entertainment is valued by the consumer, such that it's really legitimate to compare the cost for a movie and the entertainment it provides against the cost of a game and the entertainment it provides. Consumers value these two commodities differently. Even though they're both "entertainment," I think consumers just think of them...differently, and therefore evaluate them differently, and therefore value the experiences they provide differently.

2. A big part of what you're seeing is driven by the economics of the industry itself. The price for a video game has generally remained stable for a long time. It's risen with inflation, but it's actually probably lagged behind inflation itself. So, a $30-40 PC game in 1992, adjusted for modern dollar values, probably cost more than the $50-60 game you get today. Still, games have basically hovered anywhere between $20 and $60 for a looooong time. Some publishers have tried to goose this by offering things like pre-order incentives, special limited editions, and, of course, pre-purchasing DLC through things like Season Passes. But the absolute cost to the customer still basically hovers at around $50-60 for a basic game, with around $20-40 for the "expansion packs"/season pass/whatever. Compare that to the cost of a movie ticket, which has steadily risen over time from $5 to anywhere from $10-15 nowadays (Depending on the theater).

3. I think the interactive nature of the game necessarily makes consumers more critical of them. The game is supposed to entertain you differently compared to a movie. Your interaction with it is the yardstick by which you measure it. There are tons of factors that contribute to the end-user experience in a PC or console game. The UI, ease of controls, smoothness of gameplay, innovative gameplay design, sound design, graphical design, network connectivity, etc., etc., etc., to say nothing of story. A film has to do some of that, but it's a completely different experience. What's more, again by virtue of the long history of game design, the expectation is that a game will provide anywhere from 15 to unlimited hours of entertainment. A movie just has to entertain you for 2-ish hours. What's more, I think that, because of that expectation, people will tend to keep trying to make a game entertain them, even if it doesn't initially. In some cases, they will indeed end up enjoying it more as they become more familiar with it, but in many many cases, I think people just become more frustrated because they kept trying to find something entertaining about the game, and it kept failing them. Whereas with a bad movie, your own investment can be much less significant, both in terms of time and in terms of emotional investment. For example, I thought Crouching Tiger was a dumb movie. Pretty visuals, otherwise garden variety Kung Fu Theater story, and a lame ending that didn't really satisfy me. But what I didn't do was keep watching, and watching, and watching, hoping to find enjoyment. With games, though, I've definitely struggled and struggled to try to make the game entertain me, and gotten increasingly frustrated with it when it didn't (I'm looking at you, Dark Souls...). That naturally influences the consumer's reaction to the game.

Also, your game sounds intriguing! Will the melee combat be turn-based or real-time?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back