Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

I agree with everything SSgt Burton said.
Although I actually enjoyed Enterprise for the first 3 seasons.
But yes, I'm sure the new Trek will make its money back, no doubt. Then the merchandising....

BRANDING.

"Star Trek" as a brand, is basically invincible. ...........

star_trek_helmet.jpg

JJ Trek is the equivalent of the "Space Fun Helmet".

Now, if you want to say that ("Nemesis") killed OLD Trek, that I'll grant you. But it didn't kill the brand.

This needs to be repeated because I'm betting it falls on a deaf ear.

Is "Trek" still around? Yes it is.

Is it the "same old" Trek "we" came to know and love... well pick your choice from- "No not really" to- "Not in the least."

It has adapted to the modern viewing audience, that's all.

If I want my "old" Trek, I'll fire up my Bluray and HDTV. 725 episodes to watch and (a handful) of good movies.

But I've decided to let go of all the huffing and puffing I've done over the way Trek has evolved.

The new movie will either entertain me or it won't. But if nothing else, I've let go of any notion going in that it will recapture "the good old days."

Kevin

Wise attitude. I've found it applies well to most franchises that see significant change from what a fan might have once known and loved. You can talk about it and dissect what happened, where it went wrong, etc., but you can't let it get you down.

Star Trek Nemesis.
Exactly. If that turkey couldn't put this franchise in its grave, nothing will.
Star Trek: Nemesis may not have killed the franchise, but it obviously made someone think, "Okay we need to star over." :lol

I didn't completely dislike J.J.'s Star Trek movie, but that's probably because I walked into the theater knowing it wouldn't be anything like any of the previous Trek incarnations, and for the most part I got what I expected--a lightweight action movie with a few trappings that were vaguely reminiscent of the Star Trek I grew up watching.

Okay, don't kill me, but I have actually come to like Insurrection and Nemesis.

I like JJ Trek for what it was, but it was not Star Trek for me. I will go see the new movie, but I'm not expecting to see anything that brings back the days of TOS.

And that's the right attitude to have, in my opinion. You'll be able to enjoy the film, without seething at its non-trekkiness. Of course, that may not save you from finding other things to be irritating (e.g. LENS FLARE), but at least you won't be muttering about how "This'd NEVER happen in REAL Trek..."

And that's the right attitude to have, in my opinion. You'll be able to enjoy the film, without seething at its non-trekkiness. Of course, that may not save you from finding other things to be irritating (e.g. LENS FLARE), but at least you won't be muttering about how "This'd NEVER happen in REAL Trek..."

For me it will always boil down to the fact that I didn't like any of the characters in Trek09, especially Kirk. Honestly, they let a cheating arrogant undergrad jerk have the Enterprise even though he back talks his superior officers in front of the whole crew, assaults on-duty officers and provokes officers into fights. And this idiot actually complains about how being left on a planet is a violation of Starfleet protocol. Hey, if you're going to talk about how Starfleet protocols should be taken seriously, you might want to set a better example a**hole.

For me it will always boil down to the fact that I didn't like any of the characters in Trek09, especially Kirk. Honestly, they let a cheating arrogant undergrad jerk have the Enterprise even though he back talks his superior officers in front of the whole crew, assaults on-duty officers and provokes officers into fights. And this idiot actually complains about how being left on a planet is a violation of Starfleet protocol. Hey, if you're going to talk about how Starfleet protocols should be taken seriously, you might want to set a better example a**hole.

You're right on most of these points except the fight bit, that was a deliberate act that was designed to provoke Spock and cause him to lose control over his emotions thus allowing him to take command. All of that was because old Spock told him to do that and that he needed to do that because only Jim Kirk in command of the Enterprise had what it took to save Earth, so it wasn't like he was just being insubordinate or rowdy.

My criticisms of JJ Trek are a bit more nitpicky like the design of Engineering. Holy crap that's one huge engineering section and it looks nothing like an engineering section of any modern sea going vessel or like any engineering that we've seen in previous incarnation of Trek. It looked just like the industrial manufacturing/processing plant that they apparently used as a set. It just showed a lack of imagination, in my opinion, instead of designing a proper engineering they just found some industrial plant with lots of pipes and conduits and called it a day.

The other problem I had with JJ's Trek was making Kirk the captain of the Enterprise at the end. That's just ridiculous, sure he save the Earth but he's still just a cadet who hasn't graduated and while he successfully commanded a starship in one engagement he would still have a lot to learn about being the captain of a starship. What's more, this rookie captain commands a ship that's manned almost entirely other cadets who also have not graduated from the Academy yet and, at best, have had no more than a cadet cruise worth of experience underneath their belts. Who, in their right mind, would actually think that's a good idea, especially when it's one of their newest and best ships out there. At best you allow Kirk to graduate early and assign him as the skipper of some small ship like a tug or tender, not the most glorious assignment but it rewards him with command while allowing him a chance to get more experience with being in command and all of the responsibilities that comes with being a starship captain. The movie could then end with Kirk being determined to work his way back to the center seat of the Enterprise and the sequel could, at the beginning, show him, some years later, having finally gotten command of the Enterprise and working on getting the band back together, so to speak. That, in my opinion, would both be interesting and dramatic as well as more realistic and, in a way, more keeping with the original canon while still being different.

For me it will always boil down to the fact that I didn't like any of the characters in Trek09, especially Kirk... assaults on-duty officers and provokes officers into fights.

attachment.php

"All right, you mutinous, disloyal, computerized half-breed! We'll see about you deserting my ship!

attachment.php

"Huh?"

attachment.php

"What can you expect from a simpering, devil-eared freak, whose father was a computer and his mother an encyclopedia?"

"Your father was a computer, like his son! An ambassador from a planet of traitors! The Vulcan never lived who had an ounce of integrity!"

attachment.php

"Please stop..."

attachment.php

"You're a traitor from a race of traitors! Disloyal to the core! Rotten...like the rest of your subhuman race! And you've got the gall to make love to that girl!"

"Does she know what she's getting, Spock? A carcass full of memory banks who should be squatting on a mushroom instead of passing himself off as a man! You belong in a circus, Spock, not a starship! Right next to the dog-faced boy!"

attachment.php

"What an a-hole..."

attachment.php

Yup... Kirk would never provoke someone into a fight as a means to an end. :rolleyes

Kevin

My criticisms of JJ Trek are a bit more nitpicky like the design of Engineering. Holy crap that's one huge engineering section and it looks nothing like an engineering section of any modern sea going vessel or like any engineering that we've seen in previous incarnation of Trek. It looked just like the industrial manufacturing/processing plant that they apparently used as a set. It just showed a lack of imagination, in my opinion, instead of designing a proper engineering they just found some industrial plant with lots of pipes and conduits and called it a day.

It was a beer brewery....

Yup... Kirk would never provoke someone into a fight as a means to an end. :rolleyes

That Spock was under the influence of a happy, care free inducing plant, NuSpock was not. Kirk's intention was that he NEEDED Spock in order to save the crew. NuKirk's intention was just to get just rid of NuSpock. NuKirk clearly didn't need Spock. And really, I would hardly call what NuSpock was going through as being 'emotionally compromised' since Kirk showed clear signs of that by shouting at Spock and insisting be "hunting nero down!" without so much as a plan of attack. But no. This film is telling us Spock is in the wrong even though he's actually doing the sensible thing in meeting up with the fleet. The only plan Kirk has is to simply catch up with Nero and... Well, that's it. No plan of attack. After all, the Narada easily destroyed 47 Klingon Warbirds (battlecruisers), so why does the film paint his suicidal decision to go after Nero as a good thing? Remember, they do not have the transporter equation that would enable them to sneak onto the Narada from a distance.

And why did it need to come to a fist fight anyways? NuSpock knew that there was no logical reason on how Kirk and Scotty got onto the Enterprise, so why not take advantage of that and say this is something we can use against Nero without going in guns blazing? NuSpock has demonstrated that he would listen to logic even from NuKirk, so why would he be against a plan to invade the Narada and save Earth in the process?

Speaking of emotional stability, what exactly was Kirk going to do if he did manage to take down those security guards? Grab their phasers and order everyone on the bridge around at gun point?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back