Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak!

I don't have a weight, but I got my first printed copy out of two reels of 1kg PLA. That was with a couple reprints when certain features failed or had to be redone, and supports on most pieces.

Hey guys I printed out the foam vs2 unfold and didn't change anything to the scale.

So far testing the cardstock on my face it looks like this.

Is it too large for me? the ear piece is where my ear is so that seems to line up properly. But the side piece looks to be closer to the front then it should...unless it's supposed to be like that? I'm 5'10 and my head size seems to be about 23" circumference.

I think that looks pretty good. I have a smaller sized head and scaled it down the basic 10% from the original file and mine fit very snug, and after I sanded a few spots (ear area, crown of head, nose and mouth piece) It was solid and I could do whatever I wanted with it. I did scratch build some of the helmet to accommodate my head/face size and to keep it clean and form fitting and less like a bobble head.

for foam, what do you do bout those little lines some of the pieces in the pdo file? do you still need to draw them in and cut on the foam?

I drew them on before I heat treated the foam, then traced over my lines very carefully with an x-acto. Go slow and easy, keep the blade at the same depth, angle, and make it in one pass. Once all your lines, holes, and any other detailing is done, get a heat gun and seal the foam. All of your cuts will open up as the foam naturally shrinks under the heat. The deeper you cut, the wider the lines, but any errors you make with the knife will also stand out much more. When you go to paint you'll have a template to follow and if you don't fill in the lines with your accent paint it'll give it that much more detail when you add the accent colors.

Hey, anyone else having trouble with the download? It keeps downloading as an EXE. when I click it it wants to know if I want something called ${sign_Cert_Descr_Newit} to make modifications to my computer.

I think so. The files are called, helagaks star lord helm foam v2, and helagak star lord mask 3d print in my download folder. =) I've never had good luck with 4shared though (or any torrent), so I very well may be doing something wrong.

I guess you can always use some foam for padding inside if it's a little too big?

Ya but I trying to make sure it fits perfectly to my head so it doesn't look weird having an big looking head.

Too big is better than too small - especially if you want to put any lights in it. Mine fits my head so closely that I don't have room for electronics! Also remember that you will lose a bit of inside space because the foam is thicker than the paper. I'd suggest finishing at least part of the front piece and seeing how much extra space you've got at that point.

Ya I printed the foam v2 which is missing a lot of the smaller pieces that is required to complete the front.

But I think I'll just go ahead and make his out of foam anyway since it's my first ever build (need the practice). If it comes out too big I'll just suck it up and do it again.

Does anyone have any pics showing how the helmet is lined up with their face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for the 3D printing team, what kind of glue are you using to attach the various parts?

Also, any links to wood filler as bondo tutorials?

Plastic weld, acetone+abs mix, apoxysculpt, bondo, wood filler, all that works. I recently learned about apoxysculpt and tried it out, I think it's now my preferred method!
Check out Ironmaniac's build here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=216088
He used acetone to bind the parts on the helmet i printed for him and it turned out good. That acetone wont work if it's printed in PLA just fyi, but you can use other things on PLA.

Question bout foam.

I'm at Canadian tire looking at the roll of foam here and it looks to be thinner than 6mm.

Would that work fine for a starlord helmet?

Question bout foam.

I'm at Canadian tire looking at the roll of foam here and it looks to be thinner than 6mm.

Would that work fine for a starlord helmet?

What kind of foam is it? Is it floor mat foam, or camping mat foam? The camping mat stuff is probably too squishy - you need something pretty firm. Given that, as long as it can support its own weight you should be fine. 2mm craft foam isn't strong enough for a full helmet build (though you can use it for detail work), but 4mm and up should​ be fine.

Hey Helagak,

I spent 4-5 hours restructuring parts of the model to fit my head better. Any objection if I release my modified files with obvious credits given? I'm reprinting my helmet now, but hopefully it'll fit a little more humanely than the default one did.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of foam is it? Is it floor mat foam, or camping mat foam? The camping mat stuff is probably too squishy - you need something pretty firm. Given that, as long as it can support its own weight you should be fine. 2mm craft foam isn't strong enough for a full helmet build (though you can use it for detail work), but 4mm and up should​ be fine.

It's best step anti-fatigue fun foam floor. Looks to be about 5-6mm so I think I'm good.
Thanks!

Foam template Question: I've been reading and watching videos on how you need to alter the pieces to make it work on foam (if u want a solid piece with little seams). But does this apply to halegaks v2 foam templates or were they already altered? It looks to be altered and all but there are still small gaps in some of the pieces.

Hey @Helagak,

I spent 4-5 hours restructuring parts of the model to fit my head better. Any objection if I release my modified files with obvious credits given? I'm reprinting my helmet now, but hopefully it'll fit a little more humanely than the default one did.

hey Ein, go right ahead. I have been busy with IRL stuff. so i havent messed with this much at all. post the files and i will link to them on the OP.

It's best step anti-fatigue fun foam floor. Looks to be about 5-6mm so I think I'm good.
Thanks!

Oh yes, that should work just fine! Just remember to accound for the foam's width when you're sizing the helmet. I sized mine to my head, but should have added a bit more space to make up for the fact that foam is thicker than paper. Mine turned out a bit snug.

Sorry if this has been asked an answered, but has anyone nailed how to do the eyes yet? I saw the posts about the eye loupe and the name tags, but has anyone actually adapted/executed on this particular helmet?

Hey guys, I managed to get up close to the original fbfx starlord helmet today. Got some good ref pics for you I think, when I'm back on my pc I'll upload them, maybe start a new thread though so that they're easy to find. Is there alot of refs out there already or are people struggling for certain angled shots?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back