GOTG: My own Star-Lord Build - New Boot Rockets - Post #201

IronManiac

Sr Member
I've been lurking and posting in other people's threads enough, it's time to start my own build thread! I'm putting together Peter Quill's costume for Dragon Con, and if I can finish early enough, for the movie premiere on August 1. I'm starting at the bottom and working my way up.

Shoes:
I started with this photo. I could tell the shoes were separate from the leggings (aka spats). So i went out to Academy looking for hiking boots or workboots that might fit the bill. Then i spotted a pair of Skechers on the wall. The sole looked similar to the photo i had saved on my phone. Same 3 diamonds on the sides, pebbly texture on the bottom. After some more digging I came across some Skechers that are pretty similar.

icm_fullxfull.41715618_n215iugze6o8s4cssgso.jpg

skecher diameter garzo.png

Amazon.com: Skechers Men's Diameter-Garzo Loafer: Shoes Skecher Diameter Garzos. They have the same sole, same toe detail, and same dark leather. I ordered a pair, and they're comfortable. I've been wearing them to work all this week.

Spats:
I've contacted a craftsperson on Etsy, they are going to make them out of leather for me. I'm no seamstress, and I don't want to blow money on leather i'm just going to ruin. I'll post pics when i get them.

Blasters:
Ordered a pair of these: Amazon.com: Marvel Guardians of The Galaxy Star-Lord Quad Blaster: Toys & Games

Here they are. I plan on painting them up with silver and black. They're the right size for an adult hand, they're pretty accurate to the movie, and I think they'll work.

1066.jpg

1071.jpg

Jacket: I've ordered from fjackets so now i'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Guardians of the Galaxy Chris Pratt Jacket as Peter Quill / Star-Lord

Pants and shirt:

I've found some pieces at department stores, but i'm not sold on them. I'll keep shopping. The pants are most likely custom. But I think they were inspired by pants that motorcycle riders wear. Unfortunately, the pants i've found that are kinda close are also REALLY expensive. I'm not blowing $300 on a pair of pants!

Boot Rockets:
This is where i've spent the majority of my time so far.

icm_fullxfull.41728813_fj0oc9p2qv40wo088g4g.jpg

I had alot of ideas on how to create the rockets. Originally i had planned on using a lathe to make the rocket out of wood, carving the details but I couldn't get a hold of a lathe. Next I spent some time at home depot, looking at pipe fittings and various pieces from the plumbing department. I cut up some pipe fittings to size, superglued them all together, and I ended up with this.

2.jpg

Rocket prototype A. It turned out OK. I was happy with the detailing and overall shape, but my cuts weren't super-straight, so as you spun the rocket around, it was crooked and wonky. My plan for this was to buy some casting materials and cast 4 rockets. But casting materials is hard to get, and pretty expensive. I realized I could probably just build out 4 rockets like this from spare parts and then just paint it all. So back to home depot. Prototype A was a little heavy, the metal washers i used to make up the details in the center added to the weight. I came home with these pieces.

3.jpg

I cut the pieces by hand with a hacksaw. If you have a band saw, i highly recommend that instead, the cuts are hard to make perfectly straight. I used a palm sander I had to try to get the cuts straight. Using super glue and washers between the pieces for stability, I ended up with this.

4.jpg

You can see the finish nails in front, I clipped the nail points with some wire cutters and then just super glued them in. The pipe fitting already had some lines embedded in, so i just spaced them in between each of those. I think it gives it some nice detail. Once i paint them, i'll dry brush some black in to the crevices to bring out that detail. I made these for about $30 including superglue.

Next, the center piece of the rockets. I thought about pepping them from foam, but the rockets were a little heavy, and foam wouldn't be strong enough. I decided that wood would probably be the easiest to work with. Home depot had 1 inch square dowels already. So i spent some time looking at detail photos and set to work sketching up the pieces. They had some bevels on the sides, the curved point at the top had bevels too. So after measuring the photos against the rockets i made, i started working on the bench sander.

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

For the first side bevels, i did one long piece, then cut it in half to make the two pieces i needed. I sketched out the nose of the piece on the wood, then went back to the sander and ground it down. They turned out pretty good i think.

19.jpg

For the detailing in the middle, i plan on cutting that from foam as it's easy to manipulate. They're coming together nicely.

22.jpg

I'll keep updating my progress here. Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:
Re: GOTG: My own Star-Lord Build

Great work on those rockets! Those should turn out nicely once painted and detailed :)

Thanks. I pulled a screenshot from the most recent GOTG trailer that shows off the jacket, shirt, pants and belt buckle in pretty good detail. I brightened it too.

peter-quill1.jpg

I thought the shirt was a grey, but it seems to be more of a slate-blue.

More on the rockets. I needed to figure out how to attach the rockets to the center. a round rocket and a square side can't be glued together. I can't put a screw through the wood into the pipe because it might not hold. So i looked at the pipe pieces i had left and luckily enough, one of them fit the rocket perfectly. So that gave me an idea.

24.jpg 25.jpg

They grey pipe will hold the rocket snug. So i took my hacksaw, cut the fitting in half, and now i have two brackets. I can put crazy glue into the grey pipe and fuse it to the rocket. I drilled a small hole and put a screw through the grey pipe, which i can then screw into the center stack. But then i realized a new problem.
The grey pipe no longer sits flush because the head of the screw gets in the way.

34.jpg 27.jpg

So i got out a bigger drill bit and made some room in the white pipe.

29.jpg 30.jpg

Ahh, snug fit. Now the pipe fits flush and I have a surface I can glue the rockets to. Next I screwed the rocket brackets to the center stack. I slipped a few washers in there to space out the rockets a bit.

32.jpg 35.jpg

The fittings hold the rockets snugly in place. I haven't glued everything together, i want to paint all the pieces separately and then glue them together last. I plan on wrapping the brackets i just made with foam to hide the screws and give the rockets a flush mounted look like the props. They're coming together nicely! Hopefully paint this weekend!

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 326
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 351

These pipe fittings turned out to be very useful for this project. The white lines are where i cut this pipe. The top and bottom parts are part oft the rockets, and the center is what I cut in half to make the brackets to hold them to the center stack. Lucky coincidence that they fit and I hadnt already thrown them away as scraps.

36.jpg

If you're going to spray paint your parts before putting them together, be aware that hot glue might not stick properly to the paint - I learned that when I almost lost the scope from my rifle at ComicCon - three of the four attachment points had come unstuck because the hot glue hadn't bonded to the spray paint. Luckily I was able to temporarily fix it with some zip ties, but I'm going to use pop rivets to permanently attach it before the next convention.

Thanks. Yeah, i remember that from my past pepping days. I'm going to bond them with superglue. It does a really good job of bonding metal to metal and metal to plastic. Also, I plan to use craft foam to cover the joint, so i will probably tape off the covered part and leave it unpainted so I get maximum adhesion.

I was planning on doing it properly, but I had surgery two weeks before the convention which messed up all my plans. The hot glue was done the night before because I needed it ready for the next morning, lol.

I really love the way your build is looking so far! I'm very eager to see it all finished.

IronManiac, what's the height of the wooden piece you've got there?

Great work... Starting my Star-Lord today... Gotta run to Office Depot and pick up the pep!

It's 5 inches long, 1x1 inch diameter. If you look at the pic with the sketch under it, you can see some of my measurements.

This build is amazing and will certainly help me with mine, I haven't build up the courage yet to do anything other than the mask anyway, good luck!

Thanks! I'm not a skilled fabricator and I don't have a full workshop of tools to use, so this build was about building something as simply as possible while still creating something that looked accurate.

Oh, and the mask will certainly be the most difficult part of this, so good luck!

Gah! DHL attempted delivery of my jacket from fjackets.com just a few minutes ago but I wasn't home yet! I'll have to wait until Monday.

Oh well, pics coming next week then!

This looks really great. Can't wait to see those rockets painted up.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks great, can't wait to see those rockets painted up.

Look what came today!

1132.jpg 1134.jpg 1135.jpg

Detail:

1138.jpg1137.jpg1139.jpg

Real leather, and it's got a nice lining, with wallet pockets on the inside too:

1140.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with how it looks. Its a nice fit, real soft leather, i think it's the right color too. I want to research how to distress the leather and add some grime/age to certain parts. I don't want to make it look nasty, but looking at the movie, the collar, the shoulders and the cuffs all have some darkening to them. And it got here really fast. I ordered it tuesday night and and it was at my door friday. I missed the delivery so it came today, but that's pretty fast for coming from halfway around the globe. Woot!

Attachments

• 1136.jpg
    1136.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 1135.jpg
    1135.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 1134.jpg
    1134.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 1133.jpg
    1133.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 280
  • 1132.jpg
    1132.jpg
    953 KB · Views: 295

I ordered a medium, which is what I usually wear. My suit coat size is a 40 or 41 short. The sleeves were a little long, but the cuffs are easily folded in and make for a perfect length. I'm also pretty short at 5'6", so I was worried it might be too long, but it comes just past my waist, which is just right.

If I built up my upper body and got some broader shoulders, this would be an absolute perfect fit. Right now it's very comfortable, not snug but hugs me well, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

More on the rockets. I needed to figure out how to attach the rockets to the center. a round rocket and a square side can't be glued together. I can't put a screw through the wood into the pipe because it might not hold. So i looked at the pipe pieces i had left and luckily enough, one of them fit the rocket perfectly. So that gave me an idea.

View attachment 340597 View attachment 340598

They grey pipe will hold the rocket snug. So i took my hacksaw, cut the fitting in half, and now i have two brackets. I can put crazy glue into the grey pipe and fuse it to the rocket. I drilled a small hole and put a screw through the grey pipe, which i can then screw into the center stack. But then i realized a new problem.
The grey pipe no longer sits flush because the head of the screw gets in the way.

View attachment 340601 View attachment 340603

So i got out a bigger drill bit and made some room in the white pipe.

View attachment 340604 View attachment 340606

Ahh, snug fit. Now the pipe fits flush and I have a surface I can glue the rockets to. Next I screwed the rocket brackets to the center stack. I slipped a few washers in there to space out the rockets a bit.

View attachment 340609 View attachment 340611

The fittings hold the rockets snugly in place. I haven't glued everything together, i want to paint all the pieces separately and then glue them together last. I plan on wrapping the brackets i just made with foam to hide the screws and give the rockets a flush mounted look like the props. They're coming together nicely! Hopefully paint this weekend!

did you ever end up finishing these rockets? I am currently making mine and was hoping to see a finished product. I bought some pvc pipe and was going to build mine this weekend. Thanks for any help or advice!

I bought spray paint last night, i'm going to try to give them a good sanding and spray them silver tonight (if it's not raining).

I'll post up progress pics and finished products as soon as their done!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back