ST:TMP Klingon costume pics and info...

LOL...I already sent him to Qidar (Suz) and told him to tell her Don sent him. Bwahahahaha. All of those pants on the Deathgrip webpage and 90% of the costumes are from Suz. I helped her refine her patterns back in the day. Shes pretty much the ONLY reliable costume source out there. She always delivers when she says she will and her work is VERY professional. She asks you for your measurements and then enters them in to her computer program which then drafts a pattern to those measurememnts. She cuts and sends you a fitting garment. You have a tailor make any adjustments and send the fitting garment back to her and she does the final piece. Doesnt get any more pro then that.

Gawd, I love that ol' gal!

She rocks!

-Sarge

There was also a pic in Starlog a long time ago... Or was it a cover? Anyone have that one?

I'm pretty sure I had that one back in the day, It was a close up, cover shot, but not any more informative than what we've already got.

-Sarge

I nabbed that reference CD and am awaiting it's arrival. Thanks Onigiri!

Regarding Starlog, there was also a good clear sideview pic showing the little hair curl in back... Anyone know what issue that was?

Oh! Here's something else I just remembered- Aglet chain, that "T" section thingy on the shoulder that has the chain leading down to the holster.

After STTMP, the style seemed to vary from character to character, to the point that any interesting chain could be considered accurate, but for STTMP, you want this-

LARGE_SCROLL2.jpg

http://providencechain.com/Other styles.htm

I'm not positive on the exact style number and size, but this is the general type you're looking for. You can probably ask them for samples of all their bigger "scroll chains", and decide from there.

We want to see pics soon! :p

-Sarge

Ok, I just got the Kerezman patterns and CD. Impressive overall, but I so wish the pics of the original costume he included were larger. They're tiny! I mean 2" or 3" by 4" or 5" on my monitor. :/

Re: Looking for ST:TMP Klingon pics...

Any luck retrieving these? It'd be a shame to lose them... ;)

Also, the uniform shown is much later then TMP or Trek 3 where they kind of cobbled stuff together. Obviously either way would work but I was fortunate back in 79 to get real up close and personal with an original TMP costume. I had a ton of pics on my old (deceased) laptop but may be able to retreive them. If I can Ill post them.

Well, hopefully John can retrieve those photos. They are from back before TMP opened and the costume was on display on a mannequin at teh Space Needle in Seattle. I watched for security while John went under the velvet rope and snapped pics :)
I seem to remember the TMP Disruptor being Vac Formed instead of resin like teh later incarnations but I could be mistaken.

I notice that the fan costumes in some of the previous links, while looking very good, appear very grey, instead of the blue-grey I see on the screen costumes. Is it just the lighting or was it a choice? Honestly I prefer a more grey color than the blue, but I want to be accurate.

Thoughts?

The original leather used was a bluish grey from McPhearson Leather here in LA.
Most of the costumers though use vinyl and Ive never seen the right color in a vinyl so they tend to go for more of a straight grey.
If you look at THIS link www.hotink.com/Deathgrip and go to events gallery and scroll down to Norwescon 25 pics you will see a pic I did with King county Sheriffs department (being faux arrested...one of the cops was actually a member of our group). THAT is teh correct leather.

Just some thoughts here... I'll likely go with leather instead of vinyl. I want to stay strictly with the TMP version, particularly the makeup design. But something that really bothers me about the costume are the boots. I think the high leather look and claw are cool, but I really don't like the platform sole look with the silver leather pieces, particularly on the inner foot. I was thinking of maybe slightly redesigning that part of the boot so it nods to the original design, but looks a little better. Or should I stay cannon? Any thoughts?

Ima bad person to ask on that one :) Its a pet peeve of mine when I see an accurate Klingon costume from the waist up and then 'pseudo boots'. I think the boots 'complete' the costume and its generally neglected as they are the hardest part to get 'right' IMHO.

Good point. I know what you mean. I'm the same way with the ANH Vader codpiece. I've seen some decent ones, but none that are really right.

Man, we ought to take this into at least Trek 3 territory- Hehe, then me and Don can spill everything we know, and get the thing archived! :D

-Sarge

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back