Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club MEGA UPDATE NOV 29 (PIC HEAVY!)

Things have been on the back burner here a little; partly due to work commitments, partly due to the festivities, and partly due to the fact that I have been having huge issues with certain aspects of my build. As you know, the spine has been of major concern. Not only to me but also to other members on here that have the valuable knowledge and experience that I lack. The issue has been in trying to get a solid, strong bond between wood and aluminium. I have been making up test joints using various adhesives but, ultimately, I have realised what I should have done in the first place and that was to listen to the advice that JoeB over on the ETF gave me some time ago . He suggested ages back that I should consider drilling, gluing and pinning every joint on the spine to resolve the problem.To my own utter shame, I didn't take that wise advice and as a result, I wasted a lot of time and effort. The reason was that I was scared that I would not be able to do it well enough so that it would remain straight and strong.
So, my apologies, JoeB. but I got there in the end. All the top cross sections are now drilled, glued, pinned and fitted.

SpinePinTest1.jpg

SpinePinTest2.jpg

It took a long time....so much so that I decided to test it before fitting the bottom pieces. If it held up, then I would continue; if not, i would use stronger pins and try again. So I placed a 6 lb cordless screwdriver on the centre of the spine and left it there for 24 hours.

SpinePinTest3.jpg

24 hours later and the spine was still straight and true once the screwdriver was removed.
SpinePinTest4.jpg

The lower cross pieces, measure 10.6 mm and that distance has not increased over the 24 hour test period. I feel confident now that the spine should easily be strong enough to support the weight of the Eagle which , I estimate, will be in the region of 6 lbs total. Maybe a little more...
Thank you a million times to JoeB! (y) Now I can hopefully push on and make some progress!

Hey guys! :)

My figures are slightly oversized for my eagle but they are not so oversized as to look "wrong" when insitu. your figures are 2" high approximately, and mine are 3.75". They should be nearer to 3.5"

I agree that it looks weird but it seems to be working nonetheless.:wacko

Hi Chaps.

WOW! Some great work on the Alphans there you lucky bugger!

Scale wise I expext there's a reasonable explaination. I've been looking at figures for my build. Selection is based on the door aperture I ended up with. I have played with the door size to assist in the overall fit of command module through to the end passage.

In this case 78mm tall. Which at the scale of 23.43 means the fullsize door would be 72"/6' So in theory I can use 24th, 25th or G scale figures.

Pictures -

The First is self explainatory. :behave

On Atlanthias comment about finding the internal space in the corridors -

The Red pillars show the position of the walls in the 'as per the plans' position. The green shows the walls in the 'up to the external frame' position. The blue shows a further extension which can be seen in the external view. At full size that would still only give you an internal distance (wall to door frame) of 30ish inches. With some careful greebling this should not be to apparent............possible.

F3n

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 03 January (PIC HEAVY!)

This is pretty much exactly what I have done and then I added the minimum sized door pocket as well to allow the door to open.

Bob, When you use that foam board sandwiched in thin styrene, what glue do you use to avoid melting the foam?

Last edited:

Really nice work on that spine , it has some back bone there :lol, nice and strong.

Cheers Ray! :)

Good to see your build progressing, too! Please feel free to post any updates here as well as on your thread, if you want to. If not, you are still mightily welcome to any info or help that might be of use to you etc..

Last edited:

I also managed to finally install the forward walkway/Command module airlock wall today, and build the cage extension around it. Again, this is all drilled, glued and pinned for maximum strength because the Command module nose cone will be hanging off of it. You can see that the right hand upright is removed to make room for the sliding door pocket but this shouldn't affect the overall strength as the door pocket itself is strongly bonded top and bottom to the cage. Also, on the top right hand diagonal, I have had to make a notch, again, to accomodate the sliding door pocket. It looks in the images as if the door pocket is in front of the wooden structure but it is absolutely flush, ready to be married to the back of the CM.

FrontWalkwayBulkhead1.jpg

FrontWalkwayBulkhead2.jpg

FrontWalkwayBulkhead3.jpg

Overall, I am really satisfied with the minimal effect this has had on the overall asthetic design. I have managed to stay within the cagework and, as a result, this will be almost entirely hidden once the Command module is connected. This is potentially a very objectionable design change, but I personally like it as it makes it all functionable. I would love to hear your own personal views. Is it acceptable/unacceptable to change an iconic design to this extent?

Last edited:

Thanks for the invite I'll be moving in soon Lol,:lol just waitng on some supplies to start on my spine but next I need to mold my module pattern to pull som resin copies so I can tool them with the detailing and windows.

Wow, it's getting full in here. Pretty soon we'll be violating fire codes! :lol

That makes me feel better about the figures, Darren: my first impulse was to assume that I made some fundamental error! But as long as it's working for us, then all is well. :)

Re: the foam board and glue question. For glue, I used the same stuff I sent you, Darren. Of course, the foam is layered on both sides with paper, so there was never really a melting issue.
Actually, the glue and foam work pretty well together. I forgot what I was working on (I think it was my engine bell jig I cobbled together), and I found that the glue bonds almost instantaneously with the foam. But as to your specific question, I don't think you'll run into any problems. You'll be able to save your headaches for the spine! :) If you need more glue, though, let me know if it's an issue finding it. I'll send ya off some.

The spine I can offer no advice on. I haven't even started mine yet, so that makes me the least qualified here to advise! From an observer's point of view, it looks like you've got it under control!

IThis is potentially a very objectionable design change, but I personally like it as it makes it all functionable. I would love to hear your own personal views. Is it acceptable/unacceptable to change an iconic design to this extent?

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, look what JJ Abrams did to the Enterprise! :confused :lol

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, look what JJ Abrams did to the Enterprise! :confused :lol

:lol that's a very good point, Mate!

I'm not so much bothered, as far as my own build goes, because I know what I have set out to achieve, and to meet those aims, the changes I am making are a necessary and satisfying part of the process. I was just wondering what other peoples' opinions were is all. :)

As much as I have also been avoiding it, I think I am going to scrap my cockpit and start again. I will try to salvage the back wall, the seats and the floor, but all the orange part, side consoles and front console and for the trash. I will be doing as you have done and printing them out at the appropriate size, and gluing them in place. It is much neater and so much less labour intensive. No more cutting raggedy buttons for me!:wacko

Hi Chaps

I'm in the It's Iconic Jim. But not as we know it, camp. You/we are just trying to make the design actually work.

I'm now watching season 2 space 1999. Other than for nostalgia, and the warm glow it gives, mainly to look at the esgles for reference. Concerning the problems with the design it's almost like a 'naive' issue. It's like the external design and the internal designs were done to facilitate the story telling as the prime concern. So each scene was viewed as being in that part of the eagle rather than happening in the eagle as a whole. No thought was given to the overall design because I guess it was a way of thinking issue.

These days, mostly, attention is paid to such areas because as visual consumers we are much more intelectually observant (I just made that line up because there is a single word I can't remember that would cover it!) and of course the people who design now are also of the same mind.

Atlanthia please do the figure modding guide. I'd love to see how you did it!

Scrap the cockpit! A brave move to be applauded my man.

F3n

Last edited:

Hey, Fen,

Gladly, mate if you think it could be of use to you. I will see what pictures I have regarding the modifications I made and if I have enough to make the 'tutorial' of value, I will post it up soon. :)

Regarding season 2 eagle interiors: apart from console layout etc, I wouldn't bother too much, as they ruined the sets by removing the walkways completely so that the actors stepped out of the cockpit and directly entered the passenger pod. This was due in main part to space restrictions after relocating, post season 1.

Well, F3, even if there weren't Eagles for reference in season 2, there's always Catherine Schell! :popcorn

I share your admiration for Atlanthia. As humans, it is always sooo easy to give up. I always admire those who forge ahead.

I think you're right about designers then/now. As long as the story worked, it didn't really matter whether the interiors matched the exterior models. 1999 also had this "problem" with the Main Mission tower and the exterior windows, relative to the live-action set. But I have to admit they must've been doing something right: whenever I watch the show, these discrepancies never even cross my mind. Heck, I think even the travel tube had problems like this. If we're talking about the Eagle docking tube, though, that one is another matter altogether!

In an unrelated (yet related) matter, I've wondered for years if some of the set of The Waltons (the living room, at least) was a re-dress of the set from The Andy Griffith Show. If you happen to see these shows on, check out the porch/front door and stairway to upstairs in the living room. I'm willing to bet that they are one and the same.

Now I'm wondering if any 1999 stuff was ever re-used by Pinewood Studios! :confused

HELLO BOYS! Its Spine Time! LOL :lol well next week after one build commission I need to knock out I will sit down and have many hours of cussing and frustration ahead of me. I was trying to get in touch with this guy Daniel something and Chris Trice who made some nice detailed Eagle blueprints, emailed them a couple of times but no response maybe they went out of business so I'll have to work with a set of less detailed prints I bought off of Ebay and wing the rest so here's my tubing stash for now :lol.

Oh yes. Missing corridors! Koenig stretchered in the command module which is airlifted whilst he lays half out the module door, Docking tubes that mysteriously extend from...........who knows where?

Moonbase windows that suddenly have a handle and can be lowered with no apparent locks being disengaged (useful due to the time the atmosphere was engineered) The list is endless. But as a program of it's time it was fantastic and look at us now! :love

Welcome Ray22. Your cell........... workspace is over there on the right. :confused

F3

Well I'm officially unpacked and moved in Lol :lol, I want to thank Darren 'Atlanthia' for his help yesterday on getting some better plans to work with and his assistance on helping me on the computer stuff I'm no wiz when it comes to computers when I was in school we had Typewriters enough said Lol, you have some really good dudes here. Well I started on the spines lower section, I framed it up first and added the cross sections, then I started thinking how would I mold this and studied past kits made of the Eagle and noticed they were made without the cross members which makes sense because you would never be able to pull that out of a mold it would get locked in. So I will make a second spine since it looks like I have enough material to make one without the 12 bottom cross members that would be easier to mold they would be able to be added on later. When I build stuff I,m always tinking how would I mold this part or that one. Excuse the low quality pics taken with my phone.
Ray

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back