Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 15/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

I down loaded it via real player about a year ago and send it to EVERYONE!!!

Speak soon !!!!

I drew out the actual shape and size of the back wall, and printed out a stencil to do the final double-checking of my dimensions against the actual model. Satisfied, I'm beginning to cut out and detail the styrene pieces which will adorn the interior, using my little blueprint as a guide to sizes and proportions.
View attachment 87664View attachment 87665View attachment 87666View attachment 87667View attachment 87668
Problem is, I now have to make a new door frame. The foam core one I made is just too lumpy and imprecise, and considering I need to make more of them for the rest of the ship, I don't want each one coming out completely different. It's also proving to be far too delicate for extensive handling, which is a necessity considering I can't build it without touching it! So, back to the styrene plastic!
View attachment 87669View attachment 87670View attachment 87671
I should have listened to myself earlier, when I was thinking that the door frame I was making seemed far more labor-intensive than necessary!

Last edited:

Bob.....I HATE you.....I hate your talent, and your exactness, and ....and.....I hate your ability to craft and create....:)
Your build is AWE-INSPIRING!!!!
I wish I had a 100th of your talent!!!

P.s. love you...

It's funny you put it that way, my friend: considering it;s your own work I saw here that motivated me to try and get things right, instead of settling for a half-arse job like I would have had I not seen your work! So while I wasn't exactly thinking I "hated" you for it...I was nevertheless intimidated by it! See what would happen if we were both slackers? We'd each just get worse!:wacko

Oh my GOODNESS!!! When I said, "I hate you", I totally meant it as a compliment!!!
Your skill, wisdom and craftsmanship astound me!!!! My "hatred" was simply a vehicle to portray my total admiration for your ability to turn 2D shapes into 3D reality....
I beg you.....take no offence , please!

Oh, nooo..no offense taken! I, too, used the word as a vehicle of expression!
I like having someone who challenges me to be better, even if just by example. I think a big part of that is the mistakes we make along the way. That's one reason I never liked those home-improvement type shows. They fix up an old house, or re-do a kitchen or add a bedroom and in the end it all looks very nice...but what do you learn along the way? There seems to be nearly zero emphasis on things that go wrong. For example, what happens if you order new windows, the truck delivers them, and lo and behold they sent the wrong ones? What happens if a crack forms in a new foundation? It's one thing to "ooh and aah" at beautiful new cabinets, but I want to see what happened to get them there, good and bad. That's what would make it worth watching to me!
Besides, you and me are buds, and that's just the way it is!

Those cockpits are both looking awesome! You know, the detail, it's just, wow!

Hey, move your photos to a Facebook album and you don't have to worry about it getting deleted. Just link from your FB album.

Well, a nice relaxing day today allowed me to make this little pilot's chair. Still have to make another one but I am happy with this first one. The seat is made entirely out of 1mm thick card, whereas the seat belts are just cut from two lengths of masking tape stuck, sticky sides together and trimmed to width/length and painted yellow. The little buckles are just cut from a cereal box. Damned fiddly work, though...
20120318_204641.jpg

20120318_204625.jpg

I had an hour sitting in the garden today in the sunshine. I used the opportunity to dremmel the CM apart and start the fitting of the cockpit. It was about 8mm too wide at the bottom of the back wall, so I just temporarily removed the floor, and trimmed 4mm off of each side. Then I will pull the side walls in to meet the new floor edges. I have also temporarily taped some lights into position for test lighting.

20120318_204454.jpg

20120318_204444.jpg

20120318_204433.jpg

20120318_204405.jpg

20120318_204354.jpg

20120318_204333.jpg

Here, you can see that I have drawn and cut out the front console. and temporarily placed it at the front of the cockpit. You can just make out the two holes in the console - these are the TV screens and I shall put a little square of clear plastic behind each hole and mount the Eagle 1 screen behind that. I will then install an LED directly behind each TV screen to illuminate them. I have decided to modify the back section of the CM to make it more like the Roberto Baldassari design,(see immediately below).
fed999df.jpg

This will allow me to make a real sliding door on the cockpit and will also permit the cockpit interior to be viewed from the doorway. I know that this is not the authentic way to go about it, but I feel that this is how the Eagle should/ would have been designed if it was a real functioning craft. I just need to add the little "bump" to the outer shell to accomodate the top corner of the door when open. I will have to still fit out the rest of the front cockpit wall, but that will surely happen now that the worst is behind me.
20120318_204507.jpg

20120318_204420.jpg

Damn! I love this "taking it easy" as, I get loads done!
Hope you enjoyed this update! :)

Last edited:

With the door frame basically okay, I trimmed the outer edges of the lower half to accommodate the set design. Then I placed it on the blueprint and began carving out panels for the rest of the back wall detailing.
View attachment 87731View attachment 87732View attachment 87733View attachment 87734
Little by little, piece by piece (literally!) the back wall is slowly starting to resemble something. A few more small pieces must be cut out before I can begin cementing them together and painting them.
View attachment 87735View attachment 87736View attachment 87737View attachment 87738
Darren, you are amazing. How you can so calmly cut open your command module is beyond me! And the fact that it's only 4mm off is amazing! I love the pictures looking in the windows ! I see you've got the forward controls proportioned out, too. You are light-years ahead of me...and a pilot chair, no less! It's looking really good, and I'm glad you had some nice weather to convalesce in, too! :)

you are way too modest, Bob... your level of craftsmanship is astounding!!! Everything is so clean and crisp! that is going to be one beautiful Eagle!

Blame my older brother for that. About five years ago he asked me how long I'd still be able to build small stuff like that. I swear, the minute he said that, I suddenly noticed my eyes didn't seem as sharp as they had been! So since he put the whammy on me by mentioning my eyesight, I became determined to still do it, not wanting to accommodate his expectations! :cool
Thank you, Darren...but I think and hope we both have beautiful Eagles on the way!:)

I forgot to mention I like your little seatbelt buckes!:)
Prism windows...led lights...moving doors...you certainly are ambitious! I'm surprised you don't add a functioning laser to the front end! :lol Mine will be as interesting as concrete by the time you install all your special features! But at least I hope it looks nice!

:lol :lol :lol

I am scrapping the periscope idea, but only because there just isnt the physical space to accommodate it. The door will just run between two walls with a top and bottom glued on to keep the inner and outer walls in place. I will also remember to put a stop so that the door never gets stuck at the fully open position...The lights....well they came already to use and just require three AA batteries. I may split the loom though as I won't need all those lights in the CM alone.. I also have the advantage that mine is bigger so, there is more room to fit these things in.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back