Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Tracing the stencil onto the styrene, I drilled pilot holes from where to begin trimming out the centers. Finally getting it to look fairly symmetrical, I sanded the rough cut carved edges to something reasonably smooth.
View attachment 87152View attachment 87153View attachment 87154View attachment 87155
The door was then cut out of the sheet, and the inner edges were beveled a bit with light sandpaper and the corners were rounded.
View attachment 87156
It didn't look too bad, until I compared it with the stencil. The inner bars are going to need a bit of thinning down. That will be next.
View attachment 87157View attachment 87158
I hate to bring it up again, but my sliced finger is begging for mercy about now, so I'm going to hold off on cutting out the other doors for now.

He meant he knew he was about to get banned. Sockpuppet, I think.

Helluva build, D!

Thanks, M! good to see you about the old place :)

Tracing the stencil onto the styrene, I drilled pilot holes from where to begin trimming out the centers. Finally getting it to look fairly symmetrical, I sanded the rough cut carved edges to something reasonably smooth.
View attachment 87152View attachment 87153View attachment 87154View attachment 87155
The door was then cut out of the sheet, and the inner edges were beveled a bit with light sandpaper and the corners were rounded.
View attachment 87156
It didn't look too bad, until I compared it with the stencil. The inner bars are going to need a bit of thinning down. That will be next.
I hate to bring it up again, but my sliced finger is begging for mercy about now, so I'm going to hold off on cutting out the other doors for now.
Those doors are truly a thing of beauty! I just hope that yoU added on a little height and width all the way around the outside edges.... So that they are slightly bigger than then appertures they fill. Wouldn't want them to slide into the closed position and then land on the back of the pilots head, would we....? Lol! But you wouldn't forget to do THAT would you mate..........would you?.......oh SHAG!
You forgot, didn't you:cry

It should be okay, A. Since the doors won't actually open, they will stay up without falling down and banging the pilots. You are correct, though: they would need to be bigger if they opened. Mine will be glued into place, and the red trim will be built up around it and glued into place itself
You scared me for a minute, though!:confused

If I'm wrong, we will know soon enough. I'm going to be working on that today! Cross your fingers!

Soz, Bob! No scaries intended!!! :$

I look forward to seeing the results later!

Last edited:

Hi im new to the RPF (well been lurking for a while) and just found this post. Its amazing im going to read this with great intrest.. An egale is one of by boy hood memories. Never had one, but did have the airfix Hawk arr those wer the days.
I think one of these will be on my to build list

View attachment 87156

I am loving this project so far. Nice job.

I don't have to hate cutting stuff out like that by hand anymore since I've discovered the wonderful world of laser cutting.

If you ever need anything laser cut, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out. Were in the same state! :thumbsup

Hi im new to the RPF (well been lurking for a while) and just found this post. Its amazing im going to read this with great intrest.. An egale is one of by boy hood memories. Never had one, but did have the airfix Hawk arr those wer the days.
I think one of these will be on my to build list

Glad to have you, TONYT! It's amazing how many kids fell in love with the Eagle. And for so many years I assumed it had been a forgotten obscurity. Glad to know I was wrong!

I am loving this project so far. Nice job.

I don't have to hate cutting stuff out like that by hand anymore since I've discovered the wonderful world of laser cutting.

If you ever need anything laser cut, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out. Were in the same state! :thumbsup

Say, that's right, Knight: you're the one who made that awesome Munsters' house, right?
I can only imagine the laser-cut world is an awesome one. I'd be afraid, though, that if I learned that it'd be like back when I got my driver's license, and my bicycle became a forgotten, rusty relic! lol

Still, let me know if your place is ever hiring! lol

And thank you for your kind comments!

Just popping in to say I'm following these builds, and am frankly amazed by your attention to detail!!!:eek:love

I traced the door onto a piece of foam core so I can cut out a piece from which to make the red and black door frame. I test-fitted the door, and it seemed to be okay.
View attachment 87305View attachment 87306
Then I proceeded to glue a layer of paper onto the inner foam edge to provide a surface onto which I can glue and paint the final pieces. After trimming off the outside edge of the door frame, that received a layer of paper as well.
View attachment 87307View attachment 87308View attachment 87309View attachment 87310
I glued the door to a thin later of styrene which will provide the back side of the door. I gave the plastic door a couple layers of paint... not much to explain about that!
View attachment 87311View attachment 87312View attachment 87313
When the paint and glue were dry, I once again test-fitted the parts. Now I can proceed to making raised pieces for the door frame and prepare the surfaces for painting!:)
View attachment 87314View attachment 87315

:lol :lol :lol
At the very least,I just would like to tidy mine up a bit...The side wall control panels are dog rough on mine. I want to replace them with the printed ones like I sent to you, and you used. They look great! Your cockpit feels "sterile" because you have no seats in it yet. I felt the same way about mine; there was all this clean empty space and it felt cold. the seats changed that feel completely for me. Hopefully, these two pics will show you exactly what I was feeling at the time.
I felt that I had the proportions right but without the seats, it all just felt....empty....not real. Does that make any sense?? :wacko
294e25e9.jpg

20120315_000558.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, Darren...that's looking incredible! And I can't believe how quickly it's coming together! Meanwhile, I've been slogging away at just the door...:unsure
Based on your little Captain Kirk chair, I expect you'll do exemplary work on these seats, too!
I'd better git a move on, here..! lol:eek

I find it utterly incredible, that we are using completely different materials, completely different build methods and working in completely different scales and yet the results look so very much alike! Superb workmanship, Bob! I love what you're doing and I am learning a whole new raft of methods....:)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club DOUBLE UPDATE 14/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

That cockpit is awesome! Nice work.

The comparisons are pretty amazing, Darren!
I was wondering about your yellow wall panels, they didn't seem to be plain paper...now I know they aren't! Good idea, frosting the back side like that, maintaining the interior gloss! I'm still puzzling over how I'm going to do those.
Thus far, your build is really capturing the "mood" of the cockpit, too. I always did wonder about that: being that Alpha was a rather colorless place in a way, yet inside the Eagle was bursting with color!
I hope you finished the Shredded Wheat before you cut up the box!:lol

That cockpit is awesome! Nice work.

Thanks Rob! You have great taste!

The comparisons are pretty amazing, Darren!
I was wondering about your yellow wall panels, they didn't seem to be plain paper...now I know they aren't! Good idea, frosting the back side like that, maintaining the interior gloss! I'm still puzzling over how I'm going to do those.
Thus far, your build is really capturing the "mood" of the cockpit, too. I always did wonder about that: being that Alpha was a rather colorless place in a way, yet inside the Eagle was bursting with color!
I hope you finished the Shredded Wheat before you cut up the box!:lol

Well there is nothing stopping us using each others ideas and build methods, if it suits to do so. :)

I am sure you can find an orange or yellow carrier bag from somewhere.....

Something will leap out at me, I'm sure. It's always funny how when doing a build, so many everyday items suddenly are seen at a different scale, and for all new purposes!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back