Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

well not much of a update today, but it is what it is...
I managed to finish and paint the back wall of the CM cockpit.
GEDC0859.jpg

GEDC0858.jpg

Last edited:

Looking good! Are you going to paint the inner edges of the door frame? If so, have you thought maybe to use a slightly darker red, for more of an illusion of depth? Just a thought.
I'm going to start on my doors today. I'm possibly going to use styrene, that might be easier for me to duplicate (I figure) five times. One-sided doors, that'd be four up front, and one for the back...would that be right?

I believe so...Tw where the CM and the first walkway meet and two more at each end of the pod,where it also connects with the two walkways - fore and aft.

Cautionary tale:
Be careful with your blades! Don't let this happen to you::facepalm
View attachment 87120
A nice, healthy slice into this finger is not going to help the build, and this is the finger that I use the most!:cry

Great work on both builds! I'm gonna enjoy watching both of these come together.

Plastruct makes several sheet materials to represent tile and glass block, in many sizes. Something like this may help with the cockpit.
TowerHobbies.com | 91666 Plastruct Ridge Clay Tile (2) 1/48 O
I think the glass block is best, the squares are rounded like the Eagle tiles.

Thanks for the show of interest, robn1!:)

Atlanthia: it occurs to me that the cockpit would've worked out beautifully, space-wise, if the pilots were the ones up on ramps instead! Oh, well!

The center ramp in the cockpit. What if, instead of that, the pilots were on a raised platform instead? Not that I'm suggesting building it that way, but it would have solved the space problem!

Oh, yes I remember now! Why don't you do that? Its certainly no worse that gluing to Gemini astronaut figures the the back wall and Hacking their legs off just above the knee! Do what feels good for you, Mate...

That's true, re: the Gemini guys! lol
After I build my seats (not too far in the future), I'll make up a cardboard template of raised floor panels and place them with the seats into the cockpit to show you and get your input.
Funny thing: I am beginning to believe in fate. I was considering using some of my styrene plastic that I have stored away from about ten years ago to make my doors, but I then realized I had no proper adhesive to do it. So, taking a little break, I was emptying some books out of boxes that were in storage and putting them on a new bookshelf. What do I find rattling around in the bottom of the box? a small, unopened tube of adhesive!:eek
So, off to work on them I go!:cool

it will be nice to see how things are progressing at your side of the pond. Can't wait!

I printed out a door image, and taped it to a styrene sheet. I'm going to use the styrene (once I trace the image onto it) as a template to trace out five identical doors.
View attachment 87136View attachment 87137
With the x-acto knife, I etched the outlines onto the plastic. With the lines scribed, I rubbed some ash into the lines, to make them more visible.
View attachment 87138View attachment 87139View attachment 87140
One by one, I cut out the holes. Next, I'm going to sand smooth the edges and corners to smooth everything out. Then I will be able to trace the patterns on to the doors with a fine point Sharpie pen.
View attachment 87141View attachment 87142View attachment 87143
Interestingly, making five of something for the Eagle seems odd: thus far, everything has been either two, four or eight! Seems to be tied into the design!

That looks great, Bob! I guess you are leaving out the second door between the \cm and the forward walkway, like they did in the second series, due to cramped studio space. \\\they just took the second door and frame out and joined the other bits back together.

EDIT: In actual fact, this is not at ALL what they did, and I was in error to say such a thing. In season two, due to cramped studio conditions, having moved locations, the forward walkway was removed from the set, bringing the passenger pod right up to the CM. This is why, in season two, there is a double door where the CM joins the pod. Season 1 was accurate in set layout but inaccurate regarding the number of doors between sections.

Last edited:

No, no, no...I wasn't planning on leaving it out. Does that mean I counted wrong, and I actually need to make seven?

Looking good! Are you going to paint the inner edges of the door frame? If so, have you thought maybe to use a slightly darker red, for more of an illusion of depth? Just a thought.
I'm going to start on my doors today. I'm possibly going to use styrene, that might be easier for me to duplicate (I figure) five times. One-sided doors, that'd be four up front, and one for the back...would that be right?

I believe so...Tw where the CM and the first walkway meet and two more at each end of the pod,where it also connects with the two walkways - fore and aft.

here you go, Mate. :)

My mistake, Mate I meant to say that I believe there are SIX doors. Two where the CM and the first walkway meet and two more at each end of the pod,where it also connects with the two walkways - fore and aft. That makes six. sorry Bud'

Hmmmm...maybe I should just go ahead and make eight, just so I'm plenty prepared for when I get to the other areas! :confused lol

Okay, so if I've got this right (and that is not yet certain lol), there are five door surfaces to build, as each door side will be constructed separately. Yes, I know there are double doors at each one, but only two surfaces will be visible, the "south" side of one and the "north" side of the other. Hence, when closed they will appear as a single door.
View attachment 87148
Hmm, now that I think about it, I wonder if one "set" of doors should be built in the "open" position, to represent that double door feature?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back