Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Here are my calculations

The original Eagle is 76 feet long.

Schwarz's Eagle

76 x 12 = 912
912 / 39 = 23.38 or 1/23rd scale approx

Reverse the calculation:
39 x 23.38 = 912 (As near as dammit) 912 / 12 = 76

My Eagle

76 x 12 = 912
912 / 52 = 17.538 (rounded up to 1/18th scale)

Reverse the calculation:
52 x 17.539 = 912(Plus the wood shavings!) 912 / 12 = 76

I was really careful to say about 1/23rd scale and about 1/18th scale. These things are never a precise science when you are working to guesses and styrofoam! :lol

I totally get it, your math is correct, like I said, I was nodding off when I typed it. My wife and I are the same in that aspect, at the end of a long day, we just don't do numbers. I woke up this morning and realized where I had screwed up and took into account your previous posting. Friends don't let friends post half asleep. Doh!

I can't think of what scale I'd like to do. I'm thinking of both the physical size of the ship and the resulting model as well as some sort of standard NASA / Aeronautic scale and what I want to do, so.... I've got what I need, I just need to figure out which I would prefer.

... These things are never a precise science when you are working to guesses and styrofoam! :lol

Do you mock me, Sir?:behave lol
You failed to take into account that I'm using 1/23rd scale foam!:lol

Well, the tedium is finished. That is to say, it's done 'till the next wave of tedium begins!:eek Before I use light sandpaper to smooth the contours to a smooth eagle egg contour, I'm going to start on the insides. No sense sanding it to smoothness now when I'm likely to drop or ding the surface while working on the insides.
View attachment 86962View attachment 86963View attachment 86964View attachment 86965View attachment 86966
Now I'll begin laying in the inner walls of the cockpit. Then I'll be able to establish dimensions within which I can start building and inserting finished, detailed pieces. After that, I can finish off the 3/4 outer shell, since this is going to be a permanent cutaway. Hopefully!:eek

Brillaint, I love the framing. I leanr something every time I see someone do a build, everyone has their own way of doing this and there is no "Correct" way, so there's always something interesting in every scratch build, at least for me.

Do you mock me, Sir?:behave lol
You failed to take into account that I'm using 1/23rd scale foam!:lol

Well, the tedium is finished. That is to say, it's done 'till the next wave of tedium begins!:eek Before I use light sandpaper to smooth the contours to a smooth eagle egg contour, I'm going to start on the insides. No sense sanding it to smoothness now when I'm likely to drop or ding the surface while working on the insides.
View attachment 86962View attachment 86963View attachment 86964View attachment 86965View attachment 86966
Now I'll begin laying in the inner walls of the cockpit. Then I'll be able to establish dimensions within which I can start building and inserting finished, detailed pieces. After that, I can finish off the 3/4 outer shell, since this is going to be a permanent cutaway. Hopefully!:eek

Thanks, U.D. ! We're both learning new things with this one! As I was winding this up, I was wondering why I didn't run structure north/south like the first two pieces, instead of east/west like I ended up doing. It might have gone a bit quicker. But then I remembered I was afraid that could potentially distort the front point too much.
It's going to be really interesting to see this develop. I have a few "how the **** am I going to do that?" moments coming, so we can all enjoy the fruits watered by my perspiration!:sick Stay tuned!

Dude, we all have those moments. I'll bet even the pros have moments like that, it's all in the doing and not in the talking. You can talk a thing to death and think about it until hell freezes over and get nothing done. It's the guys that get past their fears and jump out and take a chance that ever really learn how to do anything.

Thanks, U.D. ! We're both learning new things with this one! As I was winding this up, I was wondering why I didn't run structure north/south like the first two pieces, instead of east/west like I ended up doing. It might have gone a bit quicker. But then I remembered I was afraid that could potentially distort the front point too much.
It's going to be really interesting to see this develop. I have a few "how the **** am I going to do that?" moments coming, so we can all enjoy the fruits watered by my perspiration!:sick Stay tuned!

Dude, we all have those moments. I'll bet even the pros have moments like that, it's all in the doing and not in the talking. You can talk a thing to death and think about it until hell freezes over and get nothing done. It's the guys that get past their fears and jump out and take a chance that ever really learn how to do anything.

Of course we do! I just talk and do at the same time. If I didn't go past my fears, I'd just watch the show and crunch on Doritos or something. It's the "how the **** am I" moments I live for, I just like to share the thought process! If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun!:)

Speaking o' which:
I cut out the floor panel, and glued it to the frame. I'm using a relatively thin cardboard, because the foam board is too thick and I'm going to need every millimeter in height I can get.
View attachment 86998
I printed out a contour of the back end to test how it will integrate with the rear of the frame and the floor. Aha! Just as I suspected, the corners extend beyond the outer edge, so I'll trim those down accordingly.
View attachment 86999View attachment 87000View attachment 87001
I used Atlanthia's image he drew and squashed it into the rear ellipse I made. It's somewhat out of proportion, but it's just to give me an idea about what to tackle next. This is starting to feel like it's going somewhere now!
View attachment 87002View attachment 87003

Last edited:

Dude!!! I cannot believe that silly pic I did of the back wall worked out SO WELL!!! I am really pleased because that means it will slot straight into mine, too!
How much room do you have UNDER the card floor? I am just interested because I would like to still put the walkway in mine and seat the pilots at the correct level. But as I said, you have the advantage over me in that you already have access to the interior. I have started the construction of the back wall today. Every shiny beige tile and all those orange and black bits around the door have been cut out individually, rounded out and glued into place. Suffice to say it looks KILLER! I will post tomorrow!

It's amazing that I do a drawing yesterday in Cornwall, UK, and today it is installed in an Eagle Transporter Command Module in Connecticut, USA!!! How awesome is THAT?

Last edited:

Really awesome, is how awesome! :coolTwenty years ago, we could have lived a few streets apart, and never known about each others' project. A shrinking world does have some advantages, it seems!
I'm making a more proportional version of the back wall now (mainly, a narrower door as opposed to the stretched-out one used in that printout. I had to do that when I widened it a tad). Next, I've got to count how many of those doors there are, and make them all in one batch. So, I'll be laying down mini-tile myself, soon!
Oh: the space under the floor is...not very much. At the back side of the wall, it touches the edge of the foam board, which brings it about 1/4 inch from the exterior side, if that. It's basically as low as I could make it go.
I've decided that the Eagle cockpit is the Kobiashi Maru for modelers! And not unlike Kirk, I'm going to cheat to make it work. If you figure it out, Darren, you are far smarter than I!:unsure

Well I wouldn't say that, but I am going to give it a damned good go! :lol

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I just took a picture of the back end for you...
View attachment 87027
I could have dropped the wall a bit lower, but I wanted to maintain a believable hull thickness.

Last edited:

Neat build, I was a little kid when Space:1999 was on TV, my brother and I had the playsets and Eagle toys, were you could take the CM off make the Hawk, the dog fights we had...

I have read on other boards that people making interiors of TV ships run into scale issues, the Galileo interior set was actually larger than the model dimentions, I would bet that is what is the case here the interior is a larger set than the model...

even here with the Eagle if there was enough room to put a full size hatch why make the pilots sit so low, that is a lot of wasted space above them...

Sorry to veer off like that but very cool work and I look forward to updates...

Glad to have you aboard, Enon! No, that is exactly the kind of thing we've been discussing here, as it is directly relevant to the build. And it's fun (at least I think so!) to try and resolve that which cannot be resolved, in reality. S:1999 had quite a few discrepancies between models and sets, and I can't help but wonder just how much reference either the set builders or model makers had of each others' work. Not that either would have/should have followed stringent plans, as dramatic tv has its own requirements, but even as it is we're probably lucky that they came even as close as they did!

Over on Drexfiles, Doug Drexler has talked about how they worked very hard to make sure that as TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT went along they kept the scales close, since many in the art dept were model builders as kids and hated that the interiors didn't match up.

I think the appeal of the Eagles in S:1999 was that as a kid I knew that one day I would see 1999 and that they could possible be the kind of ships we would have.

WOW!! I step away from the board for a while and this is what I come back to?? Top notch work from both of you. As it happens, I to am building my own Eagle. Sadly, I do not have the room for a 44" incher, let alone 50! :) I had to suffice with a 23" inch version, the smaller of the two studio scales. It will be nearly identical in size to the old PE kit.
As a base for reference, I used an article written by David Sisson for a post on the web site of James Small or Smallartworks.ca.

Eagle Restoration, Page 1

Its a complete tear-down and restoration of one of the original studio scale 44" models. Lots of great reference pics to be had.
Ill definitely keep watch on this as I am eager to see how you tackle some of the rest of the ship. For me, I drew some of the pieces in Sketchup and exported them out to an STL file. I then had them 3D printed. The pieces are light, very durable and not likely to break.
Here are two pics. More can be found on my original post.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/w-i-p-23-eagle-transporter-space-1999-a-64632/

Excellent work, unfortunately I already have a full plate, still, I'd like to work on something like this.

Of course we do! I just talk and do at the same time. If I didn't go past my fears, I'd just watch the show and crunch on Doritos or something. It's the "how the **** am I" moments I live for, I just like to share the thought process! If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun!:)

Speaking o' which:
I cut out the floor panel, and glued it to the frame. I'm using a relatively thin cardboard, because the foam board is too thick and I'm going to need every millimeter in height I can get.
View attachment 86998
I printed out a contour of the back end to test how it will integrate with the rear of the frame and the floor. Aha! Just as I suspected, the corners extend beyond the outer edge, so I'll trim those down accordingly.
View attachment 86999View attachment 87000View attachment 87001
I used Atlanthia's image he drew and squashed it into the rear ellipse I made. It's somewhat out of proportion, but it's just to give me an idea about what to tackle next. This is starting to feel like it's going somewhere now!
View attachment 87002View attachment 87003

Over on Drexfiles, Doug Drexler has talked about how they worked very hard to make sure that as TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT went along they kept the scales close, since many in the art dept were model builders as kids and hated that the interiors didn't match up.

Really? Is that why when you do research none of the scales match up with the other? Do a little search on say.... The Akira, tell me how mant sizes you come up with on one ship. LOL! Or, maybe look into the Enterprise E, or the TOS... There's always someone with a different size.

Excellent work, unfortunately I already have a full plate, still, I'd like to work on something like this.

Well, whenever a time should come, hop on board: I have a feeling we're going to be here for quite a while!:)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back