Soooooooo...this new Hasbro 6" scale snowspeeder

This is a small bottle of brush paint. Will it work in an airbrush as is or does it need to be thinned?

I don't know much about working with an airbrush or airbrush paints. I have a good airbrush that I could not wait to get and it's been sitting in a box for several years.

Tamiya paints are actually better as airbrush paints than brush paints. I thin my with the Tamiya thinner (I think it is x-20A)

Mix thinner directly into the bottle of XF-19 until it is the around the consistency of skim milk (usually about 20% thinner to paint I think?)

I would do one coat with XF-19 and then mix in a little white for some highlights

Thank you so much. That helps a great deal.

When you say Highlights I think of my wife getting them at the Salon.

What exactly do you mean by highlights?

Thanks again.

In this case, what I am referring to is doing a second pass over the base coat, but only hitting certain parts of the model from a certain angle. that leaves the darker coat in the recesses and panel lines for example and give a little surface variation

I might suggest doing a practice run on something first to to test the color and technique

In this case, what I am referring to is doing a second pass over the base coat, but only hitting certain parts of the model from a certain angle. that leaves the darker coat in the recesses and panel lines for example and give a little surface variation

I might suggest doing a practice run on something first to to test the color and technique

Got it. Thanks so much. I will do that.

I happen to have a bottle of XF-19 and boy does it look too dark so that helps.

Thanks again.

I also happen to have the X-20A thinner along with flat white so I am set for that. I believe I got these with the other colors for my Deago Falcon which is still sitting unfinished.

One last bonehead question. Is the Thinner also used for cleaning the airbrush? I ask because I am seeing Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner/Thinner online?

Thanks. I really appreciate it. Now to go practice and finally learn how to use this thing.

The Tamiya thinner from what I understand is mostly alcohol based with some kind of retarder to prevent drying. It is meant for acrylics (the XF-19 paint is acrylic)

Laquer thinner is usually used for other type of paints.

The Tamiya thinner can be used to clean the airbrush since it dissolves Tamiya paint if left sitting in it. You can also just clean with 95% or better isoprophyl alcohol

IIRC I mixed up a Tamiya deck tan color and white - until it looked right. For the record why the call it deck tan I don't know - its decidedly a medium light gray...

Jedi Dade

Brush paint can usually be used in an airbrush if thinned properly. you want to thin it to the viscosity of milk give or take. For acrylics you can use the brand name or IPA, for enamels you need to use thinner for that type of paint. if you're using automotive paint (I do on occassion) you need thinner that works with the brand you bought - ask the autobody supply folks what works best.

Jedi Dade

Love that instagram account, some very cool stuff.

Just by way of an update, I've nearly finished (hopefully) the 3D model for the front part of the canopy (as in, excluding the rear portion that doesn't hinge up). I'm currently greebling the individual sections before I stick it all together. When it's in a semi-fit state I'll stick it on thingiverse and link to it on here. I think it's going to be just too big to print in one piece on my printer, so will have to work out how best to separate it into sections. Then I just need to work out how to colour match it with the rest of the speeder, as I reeeeeally don't want to repaint the whole thing.

Hey all, I have been having some problems putting all the bits together for the canopy. Basically it looks like the program I'm using doesn't allow for fine enough manipulation of the individual parts to allow them to fit together as a single 3D model. I don't know whether to keep trying to get the 3D model to work or just print out the individual parts (2 x sides, a top part and a front part). If they're printed as one piece I think they'd need some sanding/finishing anyway so I'm thinking individual pieces may be the best option.

Cut out most of the windows....look ok from about 3 feet. But what a huge improvement.

ZztRfrDl.jpg

Here ya go. Try to pull off/pry the engine section as you pry the entire speeder from the front. I included a pic of a piece, two actually, that popped off when it came apart. Took me a while to figure out where it went and how it went in there.

Obviously more work is needed on the windows.

View attachment 1333316
G'day Jamesfett, just wondering what you're using to mount your speeder on. Is that a Panavise mount and if so what size is it? Do you have any other pics of it disassembled at all? Cheers

I have 2 of these at the moment and have another 4 on pre-order. Has anyone replaced the hollow main cannons with something like resin or tubular at all?

I'm also thinking of having this repainted. If there was a single colour that could be used what colour would it be and what colour is best used for the orange markings?

Thanks

I have 2 of these at the moment and have another 4 on pre-order. Has anyone replaced the hollow main cannons with something like resin or tubular at all?

I'm also thinking of having this repainted. If there was a single colour that could be used what colour would it be and what colour is best used for the orange markings?

Thanks

Tamiya XF-19 (maybe add a wee bit of white for some highlighting) or Archive-X (not sure which color)

G'day Jamesfett, just wondering what you're using to mount your speeder on. Is that a Panavise mount and if so what size is it? Do you have any other pics of it disassembled at all? Cheers

Sorry, no I don't have any other pics.

Yes, It's a Panavise. 9" Last I checked the 6" were more expensive but I have several of those as well. I just love the Panavise holders. They are awesome.

Thanks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back