So how many times have you bought Star Wars?

JediMichael

Master Member
I was thinking, with now so many different versions of the Star Wars movies out on different media formats, how many times have you actually paid for it.

As for me, my parents first bought the old VHS copies because I wanted them so bad. Then the Special Editions on VHS. The 2004 DVDs, and then the bluray editions.
So technically 4 times for me.
As for the Prequels, DVD and then bluray.

I bought the trilogy in:

SUPER 8 FILM
Only Star Wars though.

BETA
P&S Hi-Fi Stereo
P&S Surround Sound

VHS
P&S Surround Sound
P&S THX
Special Letterbox Collectors Edition
The Widescreen Edition
Special Edition

DVD
Special Edition (ended up returning them, after finding the original versions, on the bonus disc, were from the laserdiscs)

Didn't bother the prequels.

OT:
VHS box set (wish still had that)
Special edition VHS in P&S and WS (didn't know how nice WS is until that time frame)
DVD (cough...burned)
Bluray
Despecialized put on Bluray

Prequels only on BR

I got the boxed trilogy in the mid 90's when that came out.

The SE trilogy was a Christmas gift in 97.

Then the SE DVD set that came with the "bonus" original OT movies (which are the ones I watch).
Also, I did have ESB and ROTJ recorded off of NBC in the late 80s....so I guess only twice lol.

Probably five or six, I've lost count. That's the OT only. The only prequel I own is the first one and I regret buying it. Then again, I bought Army of Darkness 5 times too, so...

This is an old photo and doesn't have the Blu-ray box set and the OT Steel-box set that I've also bought.

DVD004-vi.jpg

How many times have you bought (insert favorite old movie here)?

I have several copies of JAWS, Terminator 2, Alien, etc.

We've been on 3 different home video formats during the last 20 years.

hmmm i remember in the early 90s i think it was 93 or 94 i asked for the VHS set for my birthday. we got it from block buster video, it was 45 dollars back then. that was a lot of money at the time for us, i treasured it...

then i got the special edition when that was released. was that december of 97? i forget

then when i got my own job i bought a dvd player. we didnt have star wars yet on dvd but bought a bootleg laser disk copy from china.

then the silver box DVD set came out shortly after and i bought that

then the prequels i bought all their first releases

i then skipped every other release until i got a bluray player last year. i went for broke and bought the OT

i also just got hooked up with Harmys de specialize edition on bluray.

i am not really one to buy dvd's or blurays for the next extra footage. if you give it a month after the release you usually find the bonus footage on youtube. i bought TFA from target to get the bonus behind the armory footage. what a pain in the ass setting it up to try and view it... after struggling with iTunes and accounts and all that sign in crap.. i gave up.. 2 or 3 days later it was all over youtube...

target looks to have scored the big bonus footage again for rogue one... heres hoping its easier to view then the armory...

I think the only one I had was the special editions in the mid 90s, at least that's the only set I remember and my folks bought the prequels. I refuse to buy anything Star Wars until I see Disney put out an unaltered original trilogy.

This is an old photo and doesn't have the Blu-ray box set and the OT Steel-box set that I've also bought.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wbdbbqtg...ggsbxwwkfkbqww/9/976173/4001324/DVD004-vi.jpg

That looks about right!

I was just thinking about this the other day too. Not counting my Uncle's sneak-a-camcorder-into-theater copy of Jedi, we've had:

Star Wars on super 8
Original OT on Beta til that player went dead
Original OT on VHS
Widescreen OT hologram set VHS
Definitive Collection laserdiscs
Widescreen VHS of the SE
SE DVD set
Bought the DVD pack in of the unaltered OT off eBay for my kids' first viewing
After upgrading from my 2004 tv to a 60" HDTV, I needed better quality, so I added Harmy's to the list. I'm quite happy with that, except I can't skip around on my tv.

So... 10 of the OT... damn.

As for others,
Ep I on VHS
Ep I was the first DVD I ever bought after I got a player for xmas
II & III as released on DVD
VII blu ray

Prior to getting married, my wife also had the OT trilogy with the different color boxes & pan/scan SE VHS.

Last edited:
I have the following.

OT;
Original VHS of Star Wars, long before it was called Episode IV.
THX Widescreen Box Set.
SE P&S and WS.
DVD Widescreen set.

PT;
DVD Widescreen set.

Electronic version of Episode VII.

I have not bought anything since the DVD's came out as I still don't have a Blu Ray player and don't plan on getting one for the time being.

OOT: All three films twice on VHS (pan and scan and widescreen box set) (2)
SE: All three films at least two times on VHS, twice on DVD (had to get the OT "special features"). (4)

PT: TPM on VHS and DVD, AOTC and ROTS DVD only (call it 1.5)

ST: TFA on Blu-Ray (1)

I think that's it. Needless to say, if I ever pick up a Harmy bootleg I won't loose sleep over the moral implications. I'm happy to buy the OOT on BR if it ever comes out. Probably won't upgrade my PT until then, in case that miraculous, mythic event of the OOT comes in a huge box set or something.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back