SNW - Communicator Prop Replica

MachinaExUmbra

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just finished putting together a Star Trek Strange New Worlds communicator, for a buddy or mine. It was a bit of a rush job, but I think it came off as passible.
This was printed on a Photo Mono X 6k using the amazing model from LimeyBuilds. I also thew together a case similar to the ones BlackSeaProps was distributing. Sadly I missed out on his metal parts kit, I may look at revisiting this build if I were to get a hold of one.

AVM05937.png
AVM05938.png
AVM05939.png
AVM05952.png
AVM05955.png

I'm in the middle of a build right now, but I am stumped on a few things.

Which size display did you use? What did you do for the switch and the switch location?

I'm in the middle of a build right now, but I am stumped on a few things.

Which size display did you use? What did you do for the switch and the switch location?
This seems to be top secret information for some reason. There are a number of people building these but I can't find anyone talking about what they used for the guts. (Maybe I just suck at searching.)

I tried a couple devices out, but the one I found that works the best is the 2.4" landscape video business card. I got mine from Red Paper Plane as a demo unit, It cost about $30 shipped. The screen is not the greatest, I'm sure there are better clones out there, but this got the job done. If you tear it apart carefully, you can salvage everything you need. You'll probably want to clean up the wires shortening and resoldering them. I ended up swapping the speaker from a larger 3" video business card as it sounded and fit a little better. (Sadly as nice as the 3" screen was with color and contrast, it just wouldn't fit in the model with out more modification than I had time for.)

1694538923651.png

There's a magnetic reed switch that comes with this unit I used that and (poorly) integrated a magnet to the lip of the "antenna" section, it's the out of place half-moon shape. The switch is mounted between the grill and the dials on the model. I thought the speaker (which is mounted behind the grill) would interfere with the reed switch, but it doesn't look like the magnet is strong enough.

1694540351552.png

All of the electronic components are super professionally... hot glued into place. To hide those crimes I covered the hot glue and circuit mess with fabric gaff tape. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the guts before they were dressed. (To be clear the wire on top is the charging / data mini USB cable, the reed switch is hidden below the tape.)
1694540083207.png

The other hurdle is the moiré video. There are lots of good videos out there, but I had to reformat mine to fit the screen properly. I also had a very frustrating time getting the video on my device. It seems that this particular size (and this may be just this unit) is VERY picky about what formats it uses. When I say it's picky, know that I say this as someone who has access to nearly every video editing suite available, and had working source content that I could clone the size and bitrate of.

1694541538474.png

There's one (also top secret) piece of software that Red Paper Plane is using to upload video to these units. It looks like it's from the early 2000's and is probably full of viruses (RIP my computer). It installed as "Media Player Utilities 4.46" specifically the "AMV&AVI Video Converter" in this suite is what you're going to use. There's no real setting changes you need to make, it just magically pops out a converted video that works with this media player.

Things that I wish were better:
1. The video unit take about 3 seconds to boot, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I would prefer more of an instant on.

2. The screen of my display is kind of washed out, I had to over saturated the colors on my moiré video to get them looking serviceable.

3. I need to pay more attention to the project runs so I can snatch up gorgeous machined metal parts. :)

This seems to be top secret information for some reason. There are a number of people building these but I can't find anyone talking about what they used for the guts. (Maybe I just suck at searching.)

I tried a couple devices out, but the one I found that works the best is the 2.4" landscape video business card. I got mine from Red Paper Plane as a demo unit, It cost about $30 shipped. The screen is not the greatest, I'm sure there are better clones out there, but this got the job done. If you tear it apart carefully, you can salvage everything you need. You'll probably want to clean up the wires shortening and resoldering them. I ended up swapping the speaker from a larger 3" video business card as it sounded and fit a little better. (Sadly as nice as the 3" screen was with color and contrast, it just wouldn't fit in the model with out more modification than I had time for.)

View attachment 1738907

There's a magnetic reed switch that comes with this unit I used that and (poorly) integrated a magnet to the lip of the "antenna" section, it's the out of place half-moon shape. The switch is mounted between the grill and the dials on the model. I thought the speaker (which is mounted behind the grill) would interfere with the reed switch, but it doesn't look like the magnet is strong enough.

View attachment 1738919
All of the electronic components are super professionally... hot glued into place. To hide those crimes I covered the hot glue and circuit mess with fabric gaff tape. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the guts before they were dressed. (To be clear the wire on top is the charging / data mini USB cable, the reed switch is hidden below the tape.)
View attachment 1738917
The other hurdle is the moiré video. There are lots of good videos out there, but I had to reformat mine to fit the screen properly. I also had a very frustrating time getting the video on my device. It seems that this particular size (and this may be just this unit) is VERY picky about what formats it uses. When I say it's picky, know that I say this as someone who has access to nearly every video editing suite available, and had working source content that I could clone the size and bitrate of.

View attachment 1738929

There's one (also top secret) piece of software that Red Paper Plane is using to upload video to these units. It looks like it's from the early 2000's and is probably full of viruses (RIP my computer). It installed as "Media Player Utilities 4.46" specifically the "AMV&AVI Video Converter" in this suite is what you're going to use. There's no real setting changes you need to make, it just magically pops out a converted video that works with this media player.

Things that I wish were better:
1. The video unit take about 3 seconds to boot, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I would prefer more of an instant on.

2. The screen of my display is kind of washed out, I had to over saturated the colors on my moiré video to get them looking serviceable.

3. I need to pay more attention to the project runs so I can snatch up gorgeous machined metal parts. :)

so your switch is mounted roughly here?
1694549592427.png

for my speaker i was going to drill out the "vents" on the back of the body, i might change that and get an actual grill so i dont have to destroy the prop to charge it

Yep, that's where it's at. Glued flat to the body.
The switch is a 10mm PCB, to it's not to hard to find a spot for it.

1694552700462.png

In the nice metal kits there is a magnet embedded into the side of metal antenna piece. If you're holding out for a second run of those you might wan to do some rearranging.

1694553669441.png

(These are unbelievably gorgeous)

I had trouble printing the grill section, but I used my failed prints of that piece for structure instead. I punched holes through it, then used it as a mount for the speaker and a friction lock for the stainless mesh. I used "Stainless Steel Woven Wire 200 Mesh" in retrospect it's a little too fine. I probably should have gone with something in the 120 or 80 range. (Honestly I have no idea what that number means, microns maybe?) I'm sure someone with a keener eye than I has nailed down the exact screen accurate mesh, but this covered the speaker and still allowed me to hear it well. All that being said, while it's great for the speaker, I think there's supposed to be some sort of notification light that shows up there in some scenes, so depending on how detailed you want to get, you may want to mill out the back and put the speaker there to allow for that light.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back