Slave1 V.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers chaps, Oh yes forgot I have to build em yet but think there must be a few nocking around by now what with all the time theres been so hopefully can get some pointers to help me with any luck? It'll interesting to see how the pulls from each set of bucks come out, the uber hi tech mathematical calculated thermal versions and the logically but slightly more Lo tech version, I'm sure each are going to look stunning when built though, no matter of the nuances !

There are a ton of things that make sense and won't make sense re the bucks, The scribe lines is an unknown re what will happen till we pull em but they can also be filled if they fail, a few hidden lines isn't as bad as say MDF grain marks all over the inside so its a win either way. They also serve as a position marker for using the buck as a sanding tool especially round the wing wells and nose. With the options of an injection molded canopy looming it will help with creating a master pattern for the canopy also (fingers crossed)

The armature is marked out on the skirt and none of it will ever be visible on the final build in theory, I guess a lot of this is theory till tried though but has to be worth it if it can save time and guess work. having a 5 axis machine helped quite a bit

One thing I do know is for those that wanted this and have had discussions with me, we are that much closer and no ransoms which is nice eh? Its all up to me to make this work so it can be enjoyed by a small group of decent folk....at last

Cant wait to display these at Celebration Europe in a few weeks :)

Also with the asymmetry of the wing well positioning I decided to even it out re buck scribing, the wells are so different re position on the original model but this way I have the option of making them symmetrical and asymmetrical, Adding the wonkiness in this area can be refined to taste but the tail and skirt are staying true to the ILM model.

Both chicken and egg hopefully land this week, which will come first !!

Hull Buck has been fine sanded and polished to a very high gloss for the canopy pulls and vac formers are booked for Tuesday, seing as no ones sharing RandD from there own pulls re how they turned out then it's trial and error time but thsts the fun part getting it right so you don't chase your tail later

It's kind of cool that the Bucks and armature will land the same week, slight karma and a sign of positive things a head

Looking forward to some posts from others that have pulls already or even a build

Some brain farting on common problems are always welcome ?

Having been introduced to renshape for the first time I'm hooked and have plenty more f scrap for B wing Bucks thanks to another very kind man

Lots of love for Slave at the moment

feeling very upbeat re this build...first set of test pulls are done, all generic in thickness as its not meant to be the build just learning how best to use the trim lines that are on the pulls.

Good news is unlike the last one these cling to the buck before and after trimming so no need to force anything or have a misshapen skirt, its kind of important to have the right shape or the armature is useless to a degree, and all this with a buck and vac former...no magical mathematical programs to make it work....just simple vac forming :) and weirdly they don't reduce to less than the thickness of a human hair....either..

So seems its looking like it may just work then...

Also it seems the trim lines are an absolute massive time savour, with less than an hours work and all parts just very quickly and roughly trimmed, mostly with sharp scissors the fit is really good, the hard work and dedication seem to be paying off, the RnD, never ends though so now I have to decide on material and thickness, one thing I won't do again is HIPS as the old pull from the V2 has a gazzilion fine cracks in it now so would have been a disaster to have used it in the end. I'm thinking and more liking the idea of ABS now as have been told time and time again its the best choice .... seems like it could be true

This is like i said just roughly cut and quickly taped to see shape and learn how to best use the trim lines

0153584426256603_9029596301009023000_n_zpsept9xiei.jpg

0153584426241603_2845946222133724327_n_zpst9cno2g6.jpg

0153584426336603_1835866695196590077_n_zpszmxfckl5.jpg

Last edited:
it is that :), i have taken out slightly the huge difference in the well positions but that can be added back in if desired but its beauty is still there even if it is a bit more symmetrical than the ilm bird

one is around 8-10 mm further back than the other on the original, this will be around 3-4mm

The contours and tail are still very bumpy and twisty though it wouldn't be right without a twisted tail :cool

That's looking awesome guy !

Regarding the cracks on the old skirt, I think it's because it was cheap HIPS. Ive been vacforming HIPS for more than a decade now and never get those cracks on my parts. Vacformed Vacformed HIPS is used everywhere in all kind of industry. Crack may happen with low grade HIPS or or HIPS that was stocked under sunlight. Cracks can also appear on the shiny side when you apply some stress on it, it probably means the styrene was not hot enough when your first skirt was vacformed.

ABS is much stronger though !

ITs a weird one for sure, you can see below how bad it is, just thank the stars I never used it and will do all I can to get a good styrene in the Uk or its ABS O'clock

Can you imagine having built this and painted to see these appear later down the line....Ive never seen this before though so don't know if its common

IMG_1658_zpsqyhqz8ob.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back