Silly Spider-man question…

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’ve been a Spider-man fan for over 45 years, starting with mountains of comics, to anything animated or live action. I’d like to think that I know more than the average joe on our web-slinger. However, SOMEHOW this has gotten by me over the years.

My question is, how does he climb up walls? I get that he has tiny barbs on his fingertips that go through the fabric of his gloved hands. Great. But what about his feet? Surely he has some kind of padding on the bottom of his boots. I assume he has similar barbs on his feet the assist his legs in the climb. How do those tiny barbs get through the padding in the soles of his boots?

I’ve been a Spider-man fan for over 45 years, starting with mountains of comics, to anything animated or live action. I’d like to think that I know more than the average joe on our web-slinger. However, SOMEHOW this has gotten by me over the years.

My question is, how does he climb up walls? I get that he has tiny barbs on his fingertips that go through the fabric of his gloved hands. Great. But what about his feet? Surely he has some kind of padding on the bottom of his boots. I assume he has similar barbs on his feet the assist his legs in the climb. How do those tiny barbs get through the padding in the soles of his boots?
At that point I would mention Gekko design for the sole:lol: Who said that the soles of his feet aren't made with the same material as his gloves?
Hence, the ability of climbing walls with his feet also;)

Well, I thought of that. He does walk, and climb. I would just assume if he had no padding, just fabric, he would have to replace his boots at least once a week. Fabric and asphalt don’t work well together. In just a few days his fabric boots would have holes in them.
Besides, in the films you can see that his boots have soles.

Honest to god he’s been my favorite forever, I’ve read many books max stopped reading in 2004, and honestly I can’t think of his feet ever being explained.. it’s just one of those things you can ask

I could be entirely making this up.. but I don’t know if this is from “ultimate” spiderman or what.. but I think I remember him talking about how he had to make special boots for the costume.. but don’t quote me on that I could be making it all up in my head

Some people are suggesting on other sites that his feet don’t stick. Just his hands. That‘s a pretty bad assessment as we see him holding on by his feet only in the films and in print.

Some people are suggesting on other sites that his feet don’t stick. Just his hands. That‘s a pretty bad assessment as we see him holding on by his feet only in the films and in print.
Yeah I’ve seen multiple occasions where he’s standing upside down with his feet on the ceiling

C63E4955-A08E-4010-B774-6375E59708DB.jpeg

I use this comment on a daily basis!! I love him!! “If you want to climb on the ceiling feel free” or something like that when he was talking to peter in the school

Love his character lol

As much as I love "No Way Home" I only watch the teacher and students parts of "Far From Home"... Skip the fight stuff. ha.

And yeah, he's one of my faves.

But the flights so good! “I’m gonna pop a ambien”

FIGHTS! heh... the boring Mysterio fights.

Anything Mysterio...

I didn't buy the glasses bit... that Peter would give em away... the whole exposition scene after of "the plan"

SKIP!

Just give me the school stuff. Happy Stuff. Happy throwing shields... hitting on May... dealing with kids...

"You work for Spiderman?!"

"I work WITH Spiderman!" *explosion*

Anything Mysterio...

I didn't buy the glasses bit... that Peter would give em away... the whole exposition scene after of "the plan"

SKIP!

Just give me the school stuff. Happy Stuff. Happy throwing shields... hitting on May... dealing with kids...

Lol yes!!!

Even older, in a splash page at the end of the early 60's Lee/Ditko stuff (I think a special), they give a run down how his suit and powers worked at the time. Lee writes that it instead of barbs like spiders have, Peter's clinging ability worked like "static electricity" which even then was bit of an "...Okay:rolleyes:" moment.

One of the things I always loved was also in that page was an explanation of how his lenses worked, and that Lee/Ditko envisioned them as two-way glass. A detail I wish the live-action iterations took. Alex Ross incorporates them into his paintings and I think they look stellar.

EDIT: I guess I'm remember two different things, it was in the first Spider-Man annual that gave a breakdown on his suit and an overview on his past and abilities. I do recall reading the "static cling" in an issue though. I remember specifically Lee comparing it to how socks are out of a dryer.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading somewhere, not sure where, maybe the old Marvel Universe comics, that his wall crawling ability had something to do with being able to do some kind of molecular bonding to surfaces.

I don't think the 'hair barbs' were ever mentioned until the Raimi movie.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, not sure where, maybe the old Marvel Universe comics, that his wall crawling ability had something to do with being able to do some kind of molecular bonding to surfaces.

I don't think the 'hair barbs' were ever mentioned until the Raimi movie.
Intriguing…

Anything Mysterio...

SKIP!

“ how does cap do that???” One of my favorites from that movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back