Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

I know that this thread is relatively old, so I'm sorry if I shouldn't be bumping it, but if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly i need to do in order to take the stapler apart. I have a black 646 stapler, some decals, some red paint and primer, and i want to prep it for painting. If anyone could elaborate a little more, and slowly for me because I'm a little slow sometimes, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Re: Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

I know that this thread is relatively old, so I'm sorry if I shouldn't be bumping it, but if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly i need to do in order to take the stapler apart. I have a black 646 stapler, some decals, some red paint and primer, and i want to prep it for painting. If anyone could elaborate a little more, and slowly for me because I'm a little slow sometimes, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, open the top cover to reveal where you put the staples in. At the back where it hinges, the cover is just pressure fit over the side pins of the hinge. You can pull on the sides just a bit and pop the cover off.

Then, use a rubber mallet or something that won't damage the pin and tap it through to release the staple arm. Set it aside.

For the metal plate at the front, I'd recommend just pushing on the spring underneath to lift it up and wrap masking tape around it so you don't get paint on it. This is much easier than trying to remove this part.

Let us know how it goes!

Edit: Here's a better description back on page 1
http://www.therpf.com/f9/show-me-your-red-swingline-stapler-21362/#post372865

I know this is a very old thread...but I'm really hoping some of the posters are still hanging around!

To those of you who have successfully created the red 646 and obviously possess the skill and know-how that I lack: would any of you still have access to the parts required and be willing to make one for me? I would, of course, be glad to pay for all parts plus whatever fee you require.

Please PM me if you would be willing to help a geek out!

Here's a pic of the actual screen used burnt Swingline. My friend is good friends with Mike Judge. The (bad quality camera phone) photo was taken on Friday at Mike's house.

27977f78.jpg

I'd like to take a stab at the white/chrome lettering controversy.

I believe the props department used a white vinyl with a silver adhesive backing. Once heat was applied to the hero Swingline, the white vinyl facing quickly melted away. Because the silver backing has a slightly higher melting point (and is the only layer actually adhered to the stapler), the letters remained and appeared then to be chrome. The discoloration you see on the first half of the label is ash and grime sticking to the adhesive.

Also, it looks like some people have been applying the logo even with the bottom edge of the upper frame of the stapler. If you look at the prop, the Swingline logo is applied to the stapler horizontally even and parallel to the surface it would sit on (the bottom frame of the stapler). Therefore it's higher on the sloped end of the prop on each side respectively.

Just my .02

But what do I know. I just came here to find out how to make my own. You guys are great.

These are excellent points I believe and after having just gone through some HD frames of the film I concur. I believe the props department's decision to move the Swingline logo to the side wasn't at all arbitrary - the stapler is more instantly recognizable as a stapler in a side view rather than a top view, and this is how it, and its Swingline identity, were shot when it was the topic of conversation. So it made sense that the logo be visible from the side to reinforce the story.

For the last few weeks or so, I received PMs about the Swingline decals.

Yes, I do have a few in stock - ready for shipment.

I also have a few staplers on hand and can make a finished set.

Thanks

For the last few weeks or so, I received PMs about the Swingline decals.

Yes, I do have a few in stock - ready for shipment.

I also have a few staplers on hand and can make a finished set.

Thanks

Hello Everyone!
Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, Does anyone know where I can source the swingline decals? I have a few 646 staplers that I would love to convert.

OK, so I ordered my 646, only issue I'm having now is finding the correct red paint here in the UK. None of the brands mentioned so far are available over here and it costs a fortune to ship them over. In the pics people are putting up the colour looks quite an orangey red, is that right?

I might have to watch the movie carefully again and take a guess. As soon as I'm in the store I'm lost in a sea of red and have no clue which is closest.

ssdesigner, sent you a PM about the possibility of obtaining some decals from you. I hope you still have some! I have a couple of 646's all ready to be transformed!

If ssdesigner doesn't have any left I may still have a set left from when I did them.

I still get asked for the Swingline decals, and I do still have them. PM me or email me for info.

OK, so I ordered my 646, only issue I'm having now is finding the correct red paint here in the UK. None of the brands mentioned so far are available over here and it costs a fortune to ship them over. In the pics people are putting up the colour looks quite an orangey red, is that right?

I just found the couple 646 Swinglines I'd saved for finishing as proper Office Space staplers. One of the things that stalled work was this same question - trying to find the right red, and a paint that works well on both the plastic and metal. I suppose I'll have to clear it at any rate. Its amazing how many subtle shades of red are available, and pics and the various copies of the movie I have all seem to differ slightly.

Any suggestions on good match of red paint that's both a good color match and works on the plastic and metal parts?

Last edited:

Finally!

nAotbtU.jpg

Had to order this from Canada as no office supplies here stocked this model. But now it's been painted and decalled!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back