ShaunDark80's Iron Man MKVII - Previously know as Roomiest Iron Man

Re: Roomiest Iron Man

I learned Blender in December and then Fusion 360 more recently. Blender works pretty well for shaping polygon meshes, but it's really easy to end up with a corrupt model that just doesn't print right at all. The boolean operations will often fail and parts will vanish when you try then.

Fusion360 is parametric, so if you design your model well, you'll be able to tweak some key size parameters and change the dimensions of your model really effortlessly. It's pretty easy to have something like a hollow part wall thickness as a parameter, so that if you discover a problem when printing, you can fix it in a few seconds without having to remodel the whole thing. The only time I ended up with a model that didn't print right was when I accidentally duplicated some geometry. Deleting the overlapping parts fixed that model, so I can't really blame Fusion360.

Both programs can be extremely frustrating at times. Neither one feels like a standard desktop user interface.

For scuplting or crafting polygon meshes, I guess Blender is quite good. Fusion360 is vastly better if you are actually trying to engineer something and you couldn't care less about the polygons. There are quite a few things that Blender can do that Fusion360 simply isn't capable of, but features like bending or warping models in Blender can be quite tricky to use.

One issue that I had with Blender was that in order to make an STL for a 3D print, I have to combine all my parts into a single mesh. If you need to change something, you often have to go back to the parts again and then re-build the combined object.

Blender is 100% free with no strings attached. Fusion360 (and other "free for hobby use" commercial software) leave you at the mercy of the publisher: they could decide to change their business model and then you end either having to pay or you could lose access to the software and your original models (you can of course keep any STL exports etc).

Added some detail bits.

Chest100316.jpg

Well I'm done with the side panels!

ChestDetail130316.jpg

I could spend far too much time on this, so I'm moving on before I get too carried away. I'll pull the part back into the chest tomorrow, add the final couple of small details to the neck area, and then get this ready to print!

You'll have to print it in a few pieces :). Probably 4. Depending on the bed size.

How does your model work? Is the left closed and the right opened?

I'll probably break it into a few more pieces to minimise the impact of a failed print - I'm very new to 3D printing, and expect many failures.

It's the same model, just showing the flaps removed on the right to show the thruster details pieces.

First failure of the day;

WP_20160318_12_40_54_Pro_LI.jpg

This was technically just a test print at low detail (0.25mm layer height), but I was hoping that it would be useable. However the support material filled the gap behind the valve doohickey, and refuses to come out. I've rotated the model 90 degrees, and will try printing with no support...........

Well it took a bit longer than planned, as I've been ill, but the first part is printed!

IMAG0109.jpg

Needs a bit of sanding but I'm pretty happy with it.

Now to just print the other 32 pieces of the chest :)

I have never left. I visit the forum every day... watching, learning, getting inspired. :)
Theres no build at the time (everything has found a new pride owner)
.. but...
I have bought a house.. i wil get the key 4th of april. That means i have my private working space.. no neighbours complaining.

I am thinking about making a large scale(aprox.1:2) Iron man Statue. Maybe MK43 or MK46. (and maybe i will make a limited project run out of it)
We'll SEE!

Nice to see you back - Any news on your build?

I have never left. I visit the forum every day... watching, learning, getting inspired. :)
Theres no build at the time (everything has found a new pride owner)
.. but...
I have bought a house.. i wil get the key 4th of april. That means i have my private working space.. no neighbours complaining.

I am thinking about making a large scale(aprox.1:2) Iron man Statue. Maybe MK43 or MK46. (and maybe i will make a limited project run out of it)
We'll SEE!

I look forward to seeing your awesome work again!

Another three parts of the chest printed. Decided to start welding the pieces together.

image.jpeg

Alignment is ok so far. There are a few small issues, but nothing a little filler won't hide..........

I'm hoping to start designing the back this week.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back