ShaunDark80's Iron Man MKVII - Previously know as Roomiest Iron Man

ShaunDark80

Hi all

my next build will be a fibre glass Iron Man. I was going to do the MK42, but I'd like to add active cooling, many servos, lighting, and a sound system capable of blasting out some ACDC loud enough to scare people :)

So which suit has the most room inside?

Thanks

Shaun

Update - I've changed the thread title, as the thread morphed into my build log. I am currently in the process of drawing and 3D printing the majority of the suit again.

Last edited:
Re: Roomiest Iron Man

Hi all

my next build will be a fibre glass Iron Man. I was going to do the MK42, but I'd like to add active cooling, many servos, lighting, and a sound system capable of blasting out some ACDC loud enough to scare people :)

So which suit has the most room inside?

Thanks

Shaun

It really depends on what you're looking to achieve, do you still want the streamline look of our beloved Iron Man MK3, MK42, etc. or would you be okay with going with something like Hulkbuster or Igor? MK3 and the likes of those suits won't be very room without making them look obnoxiously bulky and not very "iron man-esque".

War machine (Iron Man but not quite) has built out with the most room for me.

It's a tough one. I love the look of the Iron Man suits, but you're all right - they're mostly all streamlined. I don't want to go super bulky like the Igor, and I'd prefer to stick with IM rather than War Machine. The Heartbreaker looks like it could be similar in size to the WM in the chest area.

Whatever I build is going to look a bit odd. I'm not tall, and thanks to Insanity, I'm filling my Batsuit quite nicely, which I think is going to cause some weird scaling issues with whatever suit I go for. I also spent most of my youth on my bike, so I've got leg room to worry about too.

If you want to put it into a suit and still make it on model I'd say that the Igor would be a good build.

Here's a size comparison between the Heartbreaker and the Igor.
Iron-Man-3-Heartbreaker-and-Igor-armor.jpg

You could fit a lot more stuff into the Igor and as an added bonus the interlocking mechanisms in the spine and legs could not only be built to be functional, it's a feature that a lot of people are familiar with from the movies.

I'm no expert on this costume and the techniques used in creating it, I'm just looking at it from a practical standpoint.

Plus it's very recognizable among the designs, which otherwise blend together somewhat. You're going to stand out in a crowd, even a crows made from Ironman armors.

As an added note; since a lot of people are interested in the Ironman builds, wouldn't it be cool if it was organized and the whole Iron Legion was put together?

EDIT: Saw that you didn't want to go the Igor path.

You could always look up the armors of the iron legion. Here's one that has still got the classical crimson and gold paintwork, has more room without being super blocky like the Igor, cool moving stuff on the upper body (my guess, but it looks like it has moving parts on the outside) and it looks like you don't have to starve yourself to fit into it.

Red_Snapper.jpg

Scale comparison

936223_10151371418812344_986198405_n.jpg

The arms could be an issue though, they look kind of short, but if you add stilts to gain height it could work very well with that particular one, as it seems to have elongated legs. Its legs also seem to be thicker, which could help you with your leg room. If you used stilts it would also make your arms seem shorter by comparison which would allow you to have working animatronic arms that extend, which would be absolutely nuts.

Last edited:

There are shoulder ports on the back of the Mk 7 that fit a set of speakers perfectly, and I hide my MP3 player if the forearms.

It has begun. Just printed DarkSide501st's helmet, and cut it out in no time on my new Silhouette Cameo. Am looking forward to an evening with some PVA glue :)

It has begun. Just printed DarkSide501st's helmet, and cut it out in no time on my new Silhouette Cameo. Am looking forward to an evening with some PVA glue :)

You're not using PVA to attach foam, are you? Gotta use hot glue!

Oh, by the way, watch your scaling on this build-I used the same files, and they are great, but the legs were quite short, and I made the mistake of going ahead and building without double-checking, and I ended up having to lengthen both the thighs and the shins.

Depends on how skinny you are, your height, and how you scale it.

But I'd say the mark 3 has the most room.

Last edited:

Pep done (Will do ears in mdf)

2013-11-05 23.49.03.jpg

Time for resin and fibre glass. Should I glass the whole thing together and cut the faceplate out later, or try to keep them separate?

Same question with the chin. I assume it's separate so that I can get my head inside?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back