Scott D's Custom CanonSaber (Model Y Conversion/Pics)

Going off topic for a moment, but I gotta say that the finish Roy's D-Rings are beautiful. I just placed an order with him last month, and all of the parts that I purchased are top-notch.

Thanks for the amazing compliment!
It looks great on your beautiful looking custom Canon Saber; really vintage SW. I'm happy to see my parts being used in amazing builds like this.

Roy

The grips are pieces of stainless steel from an Ingersoll-Rand valve kit. They're like a guide for a reed valve and they come in various lengths. I've had a bunch of them in my greeblie stash for years and and many were used on 12 custom Lightsabers that I built in 2015. (Pics of those projects are in the "Show Your Custom Lightsabers" thread) Between that and giving several sets of them to my fellow RPF members recently, my supply is starting to dry up.

Thank you very much for telling me what those grips are...........And so the hunt begins :D

Last edited by a moderator:
so having been inspired by your grips i went to work on Tuesday and salvaged/scavanged these pieces os stainless steel (which should clean up nicely) they will appear in a future build

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    921 KB · Views: 117
Thanks for the amazing compliment!
It looks great on your beautiful looking custom Canon Saber; really vintage SW. I'm happy to see my parts being used in amazing builds like this.

Roy

Roy, I'm just saying what everyone on the RPF says. And it's true!

You provide an valuable service to custom and OT saber builders. The respect/compliments that you receive from us is genuine.

so having been inspired by your grips i went to work on Tuesday and salvaged/scavanged these pieces os stainless steel (which should clean up nicely) they will appear in a future build

This is what I like to see. :thumbsup Found items can be discovered in the scrap bin at work, inside an old computer that you're about to throw away, or in my case, I picked up a greeblie in a parking lot today.

Other builders might have access to better equipment/tools and have an easier time working with metal, but it's a chore to me. Especially working with stainless steel.

Cutting the grips to length isn't so bad. I have a die grinder for that, but when it comes to drilling the holes, it can be a struggle.

I use an old cheap/borrowed drill press with a wobbly chuck and I tend to buy new bits on every other set of grips made. Not very good at sharpening them, either.

I like the look of 8 grips, so it's 16 pilot holes and another 16 passes with a larger bit to make the holes big enough for the 6/32 allen head screws.

I made a jig, so to speak, using some more grips to hold the one I'm drilling in place.

The bits get plenty of oil on them to help cool them down and assist with the drilling. When the job is done, there's usually a big mess to clean up and I'm kinda OCD. :facepalm

Edit: I did a "completed auctions" search and saw what the two recent model Y's sold for.

I'm sorry. :angel

Yeah I haven't been on eBay for about 8 - 10 years, but canons and Sols were hard to find back then, I know that I have seen more Hielands (however you spell it) at swap meets lately and I usually get them for $30 or less, the last graflex I saw at a swap meet was $150 I didn't have the money, plus the seller said they make light sabers out of them, I said I needed it for my graflex camera, he said yeah right. Anyway found parts are great, my wife use to get mad at me because I'd bring home old computers and such for circuit boards etc, anyway if it works for the jawas it'll work for me

If one were so inclined, they could find a Canon Y on a popular auction site for under $20 right now. It's there under a very generic title. :thumbsup

Hey Scott, i just got my hands on a model x and was thinking of doing this emitter design.
can you elaborate a bit more on the details?

for example, which part exactly is the "sync wheel" in your description? Lol

Scott is a metal alchemist.

He means the wheel/dial on the back-- but I think you got an X which doesn't have one. I also think yours didn't have a right angle flash head did it?

The emitter he used was the bulb housing on the right angle flash. The weird thing about Canon;s is minor differences in the clearances on the top. Of the three I had, one of them had the bulb housing slip right out when I took out the screws, the other I ended up more or less destroying trying to get out. It just wasn't going to come free.

No way to know until you take it apart. The reports have been scattered by everyone who's had a Y or X. Some are singular pieces that come out, some, like Scott's, had to be cut out. Some fit right inside the end to be an emitter, others are too big.

I'm sure there is some logic to it-- like minor differences in the line over a couple years.

Thanks for covering for me, Seth. :thumbsup

DS, it looks like you have the right parts for a CanonSaber emitter. I didn't get that version my my Model X, so I won't be going that route on my next CanonSaber project.

I assuming now i have to take the guts out if the flashgun and remove the plastic lip?

That's what I did - If you remove the black plastic lip you can slide the beveled section (with the long vertical hole) in there
DSCN3547.jpgDSCN3549.jpg

I also used the spring piece and the cup to make an emitter (along with a model car wheel). I think I stuck something underneath the cup so it would sit higher, because the cup is the exact width of the socket.
DSCN3455.jpgDSCN3551.jpg

That's what I did - If you remove the black plastic lip you can slide the beveled section (with the long vertical hole) in there
View attachment 615655View attachment 615659

I also used the spring piece and the cup to make an emitter (along with a model car wheel). I think I stuck something underneath the cup so it would sit higher, because the cup is the exact width of the socket.
View attachment 615660View attachment 615661

the beveled emitter has a lip around one end that wont fit inside the flash tube.
did you cut that lip off?

That's what I was talking about-- some fit, some don't. Scott had to cut his, I didn't have to cut mine. My second Y and the X didn't fit so I used them on other sabers. You mean the Graflex-ish curved shroud right? With the numbers on the back?

By emitter I was talking about the bulb socket with the spring around it. One popped right out and fits inside-- the other I destroyed trying to remove-- and that's what Scott had to cut out as well.

Thanks guys, i think i got it down.
looks like the hard part is over.

i made a small change. Instead of cutting the lip off the shroud i grinded along the edge of the lip until it fit nicely in the flash tube.
another downside is the hope for the thumbsrew is now one of the holes for the smaller screws.
im going to have to make the thimbscrew hole bigger and figure out the the right thread count so i can tap it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back