Sandpaper advice needed

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,
Im getting back into modeling again after a 25 year break. I'm starting with a Robby the Robot build and the PL TOS Enterprise. Can anyone offer any advise on what is the best brand of sandpaper these days for modelers?
thanks!

The brand doesn't matter, you just want to get fine grits. I used Flexigrit and Testors back in the day but they are ridiculously expensive. You can get fine grit papers in hardware stores, Wal-Mart and auto parts stores. For plastic kits I'd use 320, 400, 600, and 1000 grits.

Personally I stopped using sandpaper years ago and now solely use wet 'n' dry papers from people like 3M. It has the advantage of lasting longer than sandpaper and you can use it wet to keep the dust down. 3M has a variety pack of different grades from 1000 up Walmart is usually the cheapest place to get it.

Agree on the 3M paper. At the local Walmart the 3M variety pack for automotive finishing is ridiculously cheap, and has a few sheets of each of "step" of the finishing process.

Agree with robn1, it's more about the grit, I use 600 on plastic models, just happens that the brand in the local hardware store is 3M but it is good and I'll more than likely get it again.

I use sanding blocks from 99p stores, each side has a different grit, from about 50 to 100. From 100 upwards I use sanding sponge pads (the really flat ones) and then from 600 upwards I use wet and dry paper from Homebase (usually 3M)

Thanks all. I bought a bunch of the 3M wet dry from 200-1000. The 600 is a nice finisher. Thanks all! Can't wait to post my first build.

I use sanding blocks from 99p stores, each side has a different grit, from about 50 to 100. From 100 upwards I use sanding sponge pads (the really flat ones) and then from 600 upwards I use wet and dry paper from Homebase (usually 3M)

Those sanding blocks rocks, they tear excess material off.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back