Saberz.com Definitive Project Hilts: Which should be next?

I’m pretty sure the AOTC hero is basically a resin copy of TPM metal hero. The AOTC version is smaller because of shrinkage during the resin process. The AOTC should be slightly shorter and slimmer. If you check the past discussions on the two sabers, you’ll see that’s the general consensus. So, an aotc OWK replica would essentially be the TPM metal hero with shrunken dimensions.
Except that the examples of the TPM and AOTC you included show that the AOTC is longer. 1.5" longer than the TPM hilt. If it was just a resin copy of the TPM hilt it wouldn't be longer, and wouldn't feature the different details that Eruonen pointed out.

Sorry, Eruonen for basically appropriating your post in order to respond to Rexermus. ;)

And some slightly different details. Firstly I think the hero in AOTC is shinier if not actually chromed compared to TPM. The LED bezels are just flat and chromed, there are no holes in the pommel cubes, (to me the pommel as a whole has a slightly different shape), the choke area doesn’t have a step down, it’s a continuous angle, no black in the choke either, and the metal shroud on the backside of the main grip is wider. Weird small differences all over.

Edit: Spelling

Edit edit: Forgot to mention the drastically reduced detail on the secondary (gold) button. No purple screw, different knurling.

1. Firstly I think the hero in AOTC is shinier if not actually chromed compared to TPM.
There are both silver painted and chromed versions of the AOTC sabers, although I've haven't seen a chrome one yet.
I generally believe there wasn't a metal hero in AOTC. However, I like Anakin Starkiller's theory in a separate thread indicating that the metal salt-n-peppa shaker saber (without the salt-n-pepper emitter extension) might have been used as the hero saber in AOTC. Note that the salt-n-pepper shaker saber has observably more girth than the TPM hero saber. So, if referring to this s&p saber, it's certainly not thinner than the TPM hero.

2. The LED bezels are just flat and chromed, there are no holes in the pommel cubes, (to me the pommel as a whole has a slightly different shape),
Actually, with respect to the TPM and AOTC sabers sold on heroprop, please see the illustrations below.

Bezels: AOTC saber does not have a flat bezel face.

AOTC bezels.png
TPM version A - bezels.png

Pommel Cubes: There are remnants of cube holes on the AOTC saber. On the front of the TPM sabers, no remnants of cube holes exist.
AOTC pommel cubes.png
TPM pommel cubes.png
TPM version B (3).png

Pommels: Could you point out the differences between the AOTC & TPM pommels? Depending on the angle, even two different TPM pommels appear to be different. e.g., TPM ver. B appears to have a rounder shape, unlike TPM ver. A, but similar to that of the AOTC saber. Actually, it's just the angles these sabers were photographed at.
Pommels .png

3. the choke area doesn’t have a step down, it’s a continuous angle, no black in the choke either, and
Could you point to where the difference in step downs are? The AOTC even has the same faint and flat line after the last step down. Maybe you're pointing to the fact that the AOTC has paint worn off on the initial step down making it appear different from the TPM ones?

stepdowns.png

4. the metal shroud on the backside of the main grip is wider.
Sorry, I don't see similar enough backside photos from heroprop. We can check propstore or other sites, but do you have any other photos illustrating how the metal shroud is wider? And which metal shroud has a wider backside: the TPM or the AOTC saber ? (Insert joke made in poor taste here.)

Attachments

• TPM version A.png
    TPM version A.png
    528 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Except that the examples of the TPM and AOTC you included show that the AOTC is longer. 1.5" longer than the TPM hilt. If it was just a resin copy of the TPM hilt it wouldn't be longer, and wouldn't feature the different details that Eruonen pointed out.
Please see my response to Eruonen's post, including regarding the salt-n-pepper shaker saber theory in response to your dimensions point. Btw, I believe you misconstrued my earlier post. I was trying to (perhaps, poorly) joke that the heroprop folks left an ambiguous note re the length of the TPM (version B) saber. It's unclear whether the 12" refers to the saber hilt itself, or the acrylic mount which is longer than the saber hilt.
Regardless of that point, the AOTC saber is smaller overall than the TPM, because it's a casting of the TPM, and hence suffered some loss in size.

TPM version A dimensions.png

el toro no worries at all!

I am a little confused though, as I was under the impression that those stunt sabers were just left over from TPM and used for the bladed scenes (and thus would obviously bare all associated details) and there was a hero made that is used for the belt hanger and later the visual dictionary and such. So I don’t see using the stunt sabers as evidence for the final details of the AOTC hero as definitive unless we can prove that one of those resin TPM hilts is actually what’s on Ewan’s belt.

I will try to find the info that I was referencing in my previous post, but it’s been several years since I came across that stuff.

Sorry to derail the thread so hard :lol:

I am a little confused though, as I was under the impression that those stunt sabers were just left over from TPM and used for the bladed scenes (and thus would obviously bare all associated details) and there was a hero made that is used for the belt hanger and later the visual dictionary and such. So I don’t see using the stunt sabers as evidence for the final details of the AOTC hero as definitive unless we can prove that one of those resin TPM hilts is actually what’s on Ewan’s belt.

I will try to find the info that I was referencing in my previous post, but it’s been several years since I came across that stuff.

Ok, so we agree on AOTC re-using or re-casting TPM sabers. What we don't agree on is whether a metal hero saber (other than the salt n pepper one) existed for AOTC.

Please see my note re the salt-n-pepper shaker theory. Also, could you provide photos or evidence that there was a new metal hilt (other than the salt-n-pepper saber) produced for AOTC? If it was the s&p shaker saber, then I agree there are many differences between that and TPM saber.

Also, please see lonepigeon's post: lonepigeon post #13. [EDIT. I noticed his post was from 2010, so I don't know if he's changed his stance or not,. Accordingly, I can't use it to back up my assertions.]

As far as I know there was no AOTC specific metal hero. They used the TPM hero saber and the chromed stunts. Most publicity photos show a chromed stunt.

Last edited:

Also, could you provide any photos of and details about the metal AOTC lightsaber? Are you talking about his shiny lightsaber in publicity photos? Was it maybe sold at an auction, so the details would be public, or in one of those props and costumes books, or maybe in a bts featurette, and also where it was used in the movie? Thanks!

I have these photos from the AOTC visual dictionary. The saber in the second photo (with Ewan posing like Mookie Betts at bat) looks like a chromed one (originating from a TPM saber casting) with the details painted on. I believe it's a chromed resin saber, because the bezel is simply chromed over, and accordingly not an actual separate LED bezel. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to chrome over an LED bezel with all of its cool details. The greeblies were painted on indicating that they were part of, and not separate from, the saber. For example, the red paint has been scraped off the thumbcap, while an actual one is anodized. Also notice how the pommel cubes are shaped wonky, and not defined with straight lines. This after effect is probably a result of the casting process. All of these details indicate that this is a chromed resin saber, one of which could have been used as the "hero(s)." The variant AOTC saber you mentioned was chromed over the LED bezel. That's a sign of a resin saber and not a metal one. Btw, this saber in the photo is probably the one that Master Replicas examined for their AOTC replica.

The saber on the left is more difficult to discern. It looks like it could possibly be a metal saber or a chrome resin one. If it's the former, then I believe it resembles the metal salt-n-pepper saber (without the three hole emitter), which has glossy grips and other black parts, which is fairly unique compared to the other screen-used or promotional OWK's out there. See third photo below, courtesy of Anakin Starkiller for the gloss effect on the salt & pepper. Note that other AOTC resin sabers have matte black parts. So, then the question is whether there are other photos of the metal saber from AOTC, other than the salt & pepper one.

So, then the question is whether the example you saw was actually a chromed metal lightsaber with separate non-chromed greeblies: LED bezels, red thumbscrew, and gold bike valve. If you have some photos of that saber, then that's a solid case for what you and Rexermus have been arguing. Although, even in that case, it could have been a chromed resin TPM saber with the separate greeblies inserted after chroming.

So, at least based on the photos above, the "hero" AOTC saber may be: a chromed resin one or the metal salt & pepper shaker one. The latter is wider than and has different greeblies from TPM metal hero, and certainly is not slimmer than the TPM hero saber. However, the chrome AOTC saber would be both slimmer and slightly shorter than the TPM hero saber.

visual dictionary AOTC 1.JPG
visual dictionary AOTC 2.JPG

received_282137449391815-1.jpg

Last edited:
Please see my response to Eruonen's post, including regarding the salt-n-pepper shaker saber theory in response to your dimensions point. Btw, I believe you misconstrued my earlier post. I was trying to (perhaps, poorly) joke that the heroprop folks left an ambiguous note re the length of the TPM (version B) saber. It's unclear whether the 12" refers to the saber hilt itself, or the acrylic mount which is longer than the saber hilt.
Regardless of that point, the AOTC saber is smaller overall than the TPM, because it's a casting of the TPM, and hence suffered some loss in size.

View attachment 1618379
The 12" length includes the threaded rod. That's why it's longer than a non bladed saber.

That AOTC Visual Dictionary Saber does not have holes in the pom cubes. If you have the Star Wars Chronicles The Prequels book, you can see more pics of it.

That AOTC Visual Dictionary Saber does not have holes in the pom cubes. If you have the Star Wars Chronicles The Prequels book, you can see more pics of it.
Interesting. So there is/are an AOTC saber(s) with clear pommel cube holes?

I missed that image in the chronicles book.
Is it on a different page than this one?

F3707DBC-CED7-4854-8D0D-1F22553E2ADA.jpeg

Also, could you provide any photos of and details about the metal AOTC lightsaber? Are you talking about his shiny lightsaber in publicity photos? Was it maybe sold at an auction, so the details would be public, or in one of those props and costumes books, or maybe in a bts featurette, and also where it was used in the movie? Thanks!

I have these photos from the AOTC visual dictionary. The saber in the second photo (with Ewan posing like Mookie Betts at bat) looks like a chromed one (originating from a TPM saber casting) with the details painted on. I believe it's a chromed resin saber, because the bezel is simply chromed over, and accordingly not an actual separate LED bezel. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to chrome over an LED bezel with all of its cool details. The greeblies were painted on indicating that they were part of, and not separate from, the saber. For example, the red paint has been scraped off the thumbcap, while an actual one is anodized. Also notice how the pommel cubes are shaped wonky, and not defined with straight lines. This after effect is probably a result of the casting process. All of these details indicate that this is a chromed resin saber, one of which could have been used as the "hero(s)." The variant AOTC saber you mentioned was chromed over the LED bezel. That's a sign of a resin saber and not a metal one. Btw, this saber in the photo is probably the one that Master Replicas examined for their AOTC replica.

The saber on the left is more difficult to discern. It looks like it could possibly be a metal saber or a chrome resin one. If it's the former, then I believe it resembles the metal salt-n-pepper saber (without the three hole emitter), which has glossy grips and other black parts, which is fairly unique compared to the other screen-used or promotional OWK's out there. See third photo below, courtesy of Anakin Starkiller for the gloss effect on the salt & pepper. Note that other AOTC resin sabers have matte black parts. So, then the question is whether there are other photos of the metal saber from AOTC, other than the salt & pepper one.

So, then the question is whether the example you saw was actually a chromed metal lightsaber with separate non-chromed greeblies: LED bezels, red thumbscrew, and gold bike valve. If you have some photos of that saber, then that's a solid case for what you and Rexermus have been arguing. Although, even in that case, it could have been a chromed resin TPM saber with the separate greeblies inserted after chroming.

So, at least based on the photos above, the "hero" AOTC saber may be: a chromed resin one or the metal salt & pepper shaker one. The latter is wider than and has different greeblies from TPM metal hero, and certainly is not slimmer than the TPM hero saber. However, the chrome AOTC saber would be both slimmer and slightly shorter than the TPM hero saber.

View attachment 1618385 View attachment 1618386

View attachment 1618387
Yeah so what I was remembering is what you are referring to as the chromed stunt saber.

I can’t for the life of me remember where I saw a comparison between TPM and AOTC hilts, but I remember that the AOTC was fatter and you could see the back of the grip shroud peaking out in either side whereas the TPM you couldn’t. If I ever find that image I’ll post it. Until then I shall just say that all of my information on this seems to be incorrect. Besides the chroming and lack of LEDs :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back