Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

in the future I am still considering an attempt to wax my coat in order to regain some more coating, but I would like to do it with Otter wax, both because it has natural components, but above all because it is also specific for non-waxed fabrics (and the fact that my now former laminate still has some spandex between the fibres, it doesn't change much), furthermore it is possible to do it with bars without applying it too hot, and from my experience, it should darken less than Barbour wax (I certainly wouldn't want to have done all this and then make it as dark as it was at the beginning).

For now I'm waiting since the purchase of that wax is excessively expensive, but it would be appreciated if ever there was a friend here listening who had a link to report or appropriate indications for Europe at a good price, I'm under 30 euros for one classic pint of fabric dressing (expensive, and you need at least two), I haven't found anything, I almost don't use the coat anymore because here the weather is already spring even in the rain, so I'll do some research, but if someone had seen something better, I'd buy it immediately, for do the work out of season and let the wax smell dissipate calmly. Thank you

You're right about the fur. That I need to change out and I'll use whats been instructed here for that (ty guys!).

The color.... Oh boy, you're probably right. Not sure how I wouldn't wreck the jacket. I did try to find some items that I was thinking about trying, but as you said chances are slim that it would work. Hopefully it's okay to post links here:

For color maybe: Amazon.com

It's the green it currently is looks pretty awful. So I'm hoping I can maybe try something to fix it.

And then I found this for the wax. Which I think might actually work well: Amazon.com
get Barbour wax.. i finally got a second tin.. you're gonna need two of em.. don't use a heat gun.. use a blow dryer.. don't overdo it though.. otherwise it will seep into the canvas too much and it won't look shiny.. just make sure the wax is basically liquid with heat and apply it ... it will make the whole coat darker.. two birds.. one wax.. or two.. hah

Hi All,

I was planning on exchanging the WSL coat I've received as it had a few issues, but I was curious on your thoughts (and so sorry for the absolute horrible picture I took). Are all WSL coats like this? Where the the mid section of the coat is so pulled in that the bottom of the coat tapers out? Kinda looks like a dress? Wondering if this was mistake or not. If they are all like this I may just return it and get something else. Would love your opinion. Maybe I'm just not looking at the coat in the film correctly.
View attachment 1798923
omg... wtf is that fur.. get a Big Effect Props coat and be done with it.. lol.. that fur is insulting to ppl who buy.., im sorry they did this to you.. i know they weren't always like that.. what a bs fur replacement smh.. they should be ashamed.. atleast the BEP coat is a decent fur type.. you just have to dye it.. which was really easy to do..

Last edited:
in the future I am still considering an attempt to wax my coat in order to regain some more coating, but I would like to do it with Otter wax, both because it has natural components, but above all because it is also specific for non-waxed fabrics (and the fact that my now former laminate still has some spandex between the fibres, it doesn't change much), furthermore it is possible to do it with bars without applying it too hot, and from my experience, it should darken less than Barbour wax (I certainly wouldn't want to have done all this and then make it as dark as it was at the beginning).

For now I'm waiting since the purchase of that wax is excessively expensive, but it would be appreciated if ever there was a friend here listening who had a link to report or appropriate indications for Europe at a good price, I'm under 30 euros for one classic pint of fabric dressing (expensive, and you need at least two), I haven't found anything, I almost don't use the coat anymore because here the weather is already spring even in the rain, so I'll do some research, but if someone had seen something better, I'd buy it immediately, for do the work out of season and let the wax smell dissipate calmly. Thank you
you're gonna hate the smell of that Otter Wax.. im telling ya.. the Barbour doesn't have any unpleasant smell like the Otter and it works better too.. much more shine

you're gonna hate the smell of that Otter Wax.. im telling ya.. the Barbour doesn't have any unpleasant smell like the Otter and it works better too.. much more shine
yes probably I will let it as it is, because the shine lost is the last of my problems anyway...collar was already a bit too tight from the beginning and after my last intervention with the new fur that is a bit thicker and solid, now it's impossible to keep the proper closure for longtime if you just move a bit more dinamically, so I probably will try to sell it to someone with a shorter nose.

I won't hide myself, I'm going to buy a SR in the end.

I don't question the 5-star review I gave Jameel, but for the price I paid, it was actually assumed that they would have paid more attention to what I asked for, especially regarding the collar (on etsy bep channel, I wrote about having it 2-3cm longer), which obviously is now my business and mine I have to keep it like this.
The other details asked for, either I could fix them myself, or they have not been improved, so at the cost of having a less SA coat it doesn't matter, I will modify what I can but at least I will have a right size for me (in the end I managed to get the precise details from the girl via email and I can be sure their L size will fit my face right) and maybe a little more abundant that at least if I modify it I'm sure it won't be tight again, and also the fabric actually seems to have no equal, twill or not.

I would have been willing to buy a bep/els again if at least there had been a favorable price having already spent an amount and having come to this conclusion over time, but above all, if I had been certain that the model had been revised on the collar and other details that I no longer wanted to bother with changes like lining etc, but nothing, and the fabric is the same dark twill that is one of the main reasons, since I don't consider waxing as a option when making evaluations for buying a new k coat, so I exclude every uncoated duck even if it turned out well for many of you, it is not the type of result I am looking for even for handling it through time and reduce the weight, I already waxed my first selfmade coat and other garment and I think to have understood what I'm looking for now.

I'm sorry to end up contradicting myself, I also contacted wsl several times, after an initial hopeful response, they completely ignored me, in the end the feedback with more guarantees and all the appropriate responses, although there are the usual customization limits, paradoxically I received it from SR.

Others vendors are out of my radar for various reasons discussed countless times already.

I'm sorry but at this point I only see one choice.
The price is very high, normally during the Easter period they have always offered their discounts for years, obviously to convince me to pull the trigger and place the order, they will have to do them now too, or I won't buy it until they do them, by now if they had discounted the usual 80-100 pounds, I would have already bought it a few weeks ago, I already have the needle and thread ready, the new fur to put on it, buckram, other magnets and everything.
At this point I don't think anyone will be able to convince me to act differently in the meantime.
I probably will still have my current coat when I'll get SR, and my future posts, I'll try to make them less verbose, and maybe there will be the necessary comparisons, whether I succeed in modifying SR to a level of SA never seen before, or whether I give up on various things since I won't risk another expensive coat and rather I will limit myself to showing the difference with multiple posts in the most exhaustive way possible, for every interested party and for the forum community

Last edited:
however, at today, Otter wax completely disappeared from Amazon items available here for Italy, I can just buy it from very little other sources, and the price it's unacceptable for me, so there's actually no risk to buy a wax which can dissappoint me...70-80 € for couple tins needed for the job? nnaah...
Barbour wax is a good deal here, but I thought about Otter, because they showed clearly how much it darken my fabric again (I wouldn't darken it again to original level, of course), and it's hydrocarbons free, Barbour is considered safe, but in theory it's designed to rewax native waxed fabrics even if often it works great also on non-waxed, but I prefer it also from the health aspect.
I also read their guide about how it'd be possible to "wash" a fabric treated with their fabric dressing after properly dried: not with washing machine for sure, but they describe how it is washable even immersing it completely in a bucket with soap, which would be very pleasant and intriguing to me, I could first try it on a similar fabric and see how it holds up (on the contrary, on Barbour wax instructions, I can read it's categorically excluded any type of washing except lite sponge bruising).
Obviously if I don't at least find a similar price to Barbour wax (about half), this curiosity of mine will remain unanswered and there is no problem

Last edited:

Interesting that he got access to one of the actual coats made for BR2049. Probably wasn‘t allowed to present that one on YT while he had it. Great to see his variant, though.
interesting, I had seen other vids of this guy.
I think his final result is very similar to the version displayed in the museum.
At first, that fur also seems lighter to me than that Jameel's yellow fur, but inspired more by certain scenes of the film than by the copy exhibited at the museum, I still prefer my new mustard-colored fur.

However, the difference between the still yellowish base of that treated fur and that dark fabric, which seems nice and certainly similar to various museum copies, makes a more marked contrast, but in the film I see less of a dark effect and fur-fabric contrast, I can see that in Mesa scenes, but also with less lite when inside wallace corp and here it seems also in a pretty much bright artificial lite.

Yes, without closing the throat area in some way, in the end even with the 4 stitches I had, I found it impractical over time, it was enough to ride a bike in winter even if it wasn't too cold, and you risked a sore throat.

In any case, it's one thing to want to be as SA as possible for cosplay outings, it's another thing to be pragmatic, frankly all those chemical products, although they may be made on purpose, but I would avoid them after my several tries and transformations on mine, for a coat that I would then always want to use, in fact for that I would go towards SR, because at least I don't have to touch that aspect (I have a fur which I find very well suited for the replacement).

However, even without distressing the fur, that yellowish white fur would have matched nicely his white hair and beard (obviously, SA is another thing and he did right to distress that fur)

Last edited:
what he said in the end about not having "movie star body" (Gosling's, in this case), it's crucial for understanding how some of the replicas even if they were perfect, they would probably never fit right as in the movie on you.
I think that, even being athletic (like I am, for instance), it's barely impossible to match the precise Gosling body type.
In the movie, his arms are really muscular to me, and you can have a slim but tough and quite ripped physique like mine (which according to what I read around on the web about him, would even have a BMI equal if not higher than Gosling's, paradoxically), but how can you expect to have arms (as well as other parts of the body) that give exactly that effect?
if you like the snug fit maybe you can have certain details tightened up a little (in person, except being very lucky), but it won't be the same, and on the contrary, maybe the classic bodybuilder will have an arm that's too swollen to look like that, and here I don't see all this great padding on the coat that he made (and although the color may not totally match the movie, if this guy who had access to the original coat and knows his stuff couldn't manage certain tailoring details, I don't see who else could).

Must come to terms with that too: if you are not a clone of Gosling (and not only that, I would say a clone of Gosling in his precise form at the moment of the footage), with all the needed precautions for the coat made in person (alone if you are capable, or as good tailors around you), there is no way out to reach that 100% SA result. Period

Last edited:
I was looking for a summer military shoe that could give me a blader runnery style feeling.
Just unboxed the new arrival: Merrell moab 2 tactical low.
The honeycomb structure of some details of the shoe is very similar to the bates from the film, shown here.
Nothing about replicating the outfit from the movie matching any SA, but for those who want to fully embrace that style and are looking for a way to follow it in other seasons too, it may be of interest, they will be one of my sneakers for upcoming adventures, robust, well made and breathable

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_211138.jpg
    IMG_20240329_211138.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
here are my two k style sweaters with honeycomb texture (one of which I had already shown in various pics where I was wearing the coat), I just finished tweaking them further.
The color is slightly different, but it is a similar dark greyish-navy with very subtle brown reflections, I performed some washes with a mix of the appropriate colors (dark, since I consider it essential that if combined with the coat to follow the style of the film on the color shades , the sweater is clearly darker than the coat and trousers).
I made some improvements to the cuffs, neck and waist, making them a bit rigid but very robust and wear-proof (except for the structure getting caught somewhere in that particular weave which however needs to be taken care of or obviously it could tear).

The one on the left is heavier and similar to the film, made by only&sons, the other is also more suitable for summer but with a less accentuated texture, zara old collection

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_212339.jpg
    IMG_20240329_212339.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240329_212358.jpg
    IMG_20240329_212358.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240329_212404.jpg
    IMG_20240329_212404.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
After seen Adam's vid better, I'm still more convinced it is a type of native laminated cotton.

I don't believe he's kinda guy who wanna wash the coat at all costs (like I want, for instance), maybe he's right and I'm wrong asking this to such a cloth, but I guess having him well studied an original coat in person with a professional to help him, I cannot believe he tracked a waxed (or any kind of oilcloth) fabric for this.

Some days ago I went to a Barbour store and looked at their various waxed jackets, not even one has a clear tone so this could be also waxed, but I noticed how much waxed clothes trap any hair and if you do such a job trimming the fur (he did exactly the same I did on my bep's original fur at the beginning) you will have a strong need to clean it, maybe brushing it would be enough, but also from the ease with which he sprays dyes and hair spray everywhere can make me think of anything but a waxed one.
Certainly, those on bep initially wanted to convince me that movie cloth was "clearly an uncoated fabric", after seeing this, I am even more convinced that either they didn't know what they were talking about at all, or that they wanted to sell it to me preferably instead of other fabrics they had, no offence, but as is clear even without this vid seeing only the film, that is a coated fabric.

I can't see any piping effect on that coat, it's nice anyway and can match some of the scenes, but standing on what I see in the movie and putting aside other interpretations and museum exposed coats, I prefer to have it a bit, so when I get SR I will at least try to make it somehow if I can confirm a safe way.

That "tintation" is sold as semipermanent product, these product must be absolutely safe since designed for hair dressing, so I guess he was talking about acrylic and he used them when he started spraying on the fur, maybe well diluted and top brand acrylic paint, after my fails with many different acrylics, I will always be a bit doubftul in using'em, but perhaps that hair product can fix it all pretty well, there's always something to learn and to try, even if I think I will put aside other chemical procedures on my future coat, maybe just a bit of my distressing on the fur without risking nothing.

Last edited:
we have a prolonged phase of bad weather here, so I have more time to waste taking care of other aspects of the winter K wardrobe that is about to end up in the closet until next autumn.

I was annoyed with my two k pants as I had made them from an old bershka jogger model, after having recolored them and modified them by lengthening them a little unrolling the bottom where I had removed the sturdy jogger elastic, although inditex is not high-end, they are still of a excellent thick cotton blend with military style spandex and I will use them for other things, but taking advantage of the winter sales that ended yesterday, I got two new ones and I'm now coloring them, I will modify them in some details but they are much more SA as well as with a new look, less short on the bottom and more tight-fitting (Italian brand Carrera, the cotton-spandex 617 chino model is perfect for the purpose with french pockets on the back and quite SA, they fit tight but are comfortable almost like tactical trousers).

Having known color vision problems (mild dyschromia and evoked potential confimed optic nerve recurring disorders), I have always had help from others in interpreting them correctly or help me confirming what I affirm, this time I am using a mix of colors that I studied after carrying out various examinations based on https ://encycolorpedia.it/ which allows (like many other color finder sites) to give an interpretation of the color based on the uploaded images, I also took advantage of it for some other analyzes on the SA coats seen here and on various scenes from the film as well what museum etc, it turns out that:

- the coat in the film is always identified as a shade of gray (2 thirds of the time, slate gray which is a kind of mix with petrol green)

- in some scenes like Wallace, it also gives me some brown reflections (depending on where you click, but generally the result is the same even if they vary in RGB parameters), some pics of Mechanismo 's coat which I particularly like, give the same results and I have to say that, although the result I have often found does not give these shades, I particularly like the addition of brown subtle highlights that match my hair, however I certainly won't mess up my future SR by ruining the much desired less dark slate gray that I expect from them, but that tone that Mechanismo achieved perhaps also thanks to the Barbour wax, regardless of SA or not, I find it really beautiful

- the trousers in the movie give me predominantly brown only once, the vast majority of other analyzes give me various kind of military gray tending towards green, and that is what I am in fact doing now (despite what I wrote about my liking of brown, which is the base color of the new pants I got anyway)

I hope it can eventually be useful to anyone who wants a hand in interpreting the colors themselves, maybe it's not the bible, but compare and find based on a vast choice of colors and manufacturers, I think it's reliable

Last edited:

Interesting that he got access to one of the actual coats made for BR2049. Probably wasn‘t allowed to present that one on YT while he had it. Great to see his variant, though.
Hi guys,

Just a few thoughts on Adam Savage’s K’s coat replica. It was a thrill to see him finally tackle this.

• I’m baffled and a little disappointed that, having had an actual production coat for six months that he did not do a full, in-depth analysis of the original prop itself. IMO, it’s a huge, missed opportunity to finally get some clarity and insight into the details to fill in a lot of the gaps that we discuss here. Maybe some proprietary issues at play?

• Nevertheless, this is still an amazing piece. So, if we can just assume Adam’s copy is truly a ‘bang on’ replica of the coat and his observations are on point, there are salient take-aways. On a personal level, I was actually really pleased to see/confirm that my own customized coat has been on the right path in many ways. So, to me, a customized-collar, heavily waxed WSL is remains the closest thing to the production coat... Especially in terms of color and material. Kudos also to BEP and ELS to also see a lot of their details here too, btw. To me, the coat that comes off being the least accurate is SR. Its incorrect patterns have been identified and discussed extensively but as Adam can confirm, color-wise, they're also off.

• Color and fabric: Adam makes a point of saying how his team "worked hard on finding the right material" and how the replica coat's color is “dead-nuts to the color” adding, “there’s a lot of debate about the color and I’m here to tell you this is exactly the right color” … “it is the correct color which is a WAXED CANVASS dirtied with some mud and browns...” To me, this puts both the acrylic laminated and color issue to bed, guys: the coat is waxed -not laminated with acrylic- and the color is an earthy dark-green.

1711890297640.png

Another interesting detail is how the trim on the long side of the collar (at least of the coat this replica is based on) appears to be half an inch like on my WSL custom collar, and not a full inch like on other coats (and given scenes in the film).

1711891362368.png

1711891951949.png

This raises another interesting issue. Soul Revovler's color reflects what we see in given scenes with heavy color grading (i.e. that blue-ish, gray-ish hue), but, as Adam Savage can finally confirm, it is not what the original production coat looks like. So, SR's color is 'screen accurate' only to the extent that it nicely matches the color grading in the Trash Mesa scenes, but it is not the production coat's actual color. (In this regard, the scenes in Los Vegas seem to match the coat's real color to a greater degree).​

• Collar: the collar is very impressive and, to my eyes, dead-on in terms of patterns. Once again, we can confirm that the collar is large, curved and tapered. It's a pity Adam didn't attempt to pop up the collar while wearing it to have a better idea of some aspects...

1711894511572.png
1711894595829.png

• Patterns: a lot of nice details in general that we see in WSL, BEP, ELS but... like WSL and the 12 inch doll, the coat is nearly double breasted. This is something every coat maker should take note of, IMO.

1711895346429.png

• Shearling: It’s odd how Adam states that they tried to use real shearling initially. If they’re trying to make an exact replica of the coat, why deviate from the faux shearling in the first place? The shearling they eventually sourced, however, is excellent

• Shoulder panels: Adam's shoulder panels have some structuring but it's subtle. Again, this depends on the given production coat that's under scrutiny. For example, the Trash Mesa scenes feature a coat with clearly heavy structuring/padding whereas the promo still coats are almost devoid of structure.
In sum, it's nice to see K's coat getting some much needed love and attention almost seven years after the film was released. Hopefully, this will galvanize the current coat providers can keep improving their product. Soul Revolver especially. At this point, if they want their claim of producing a "screen accurate replica" to hold any water, they really need to update their coat design.

Attachments

• 1711895153278.png
    1711895153278.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just a few thoughts on Adam Savage’s K’s coat replica. It was a thrill to see him finally tackle this.

• I’m baffled and a little disappointed that, having had an actual production coat for six months that he did not do a full, in-depth analysis of the original prop itself. IMO, it’s a huge, missed opportunity to finally get some clarity and insight into the details to fill in a lot of the gaps that we discuss here. Maybe some proprietary issues at play?

• Nevertheless, this is still an amazing piece. So, if we can just assume Adam’s replica is truly a ‘bang on’ replica of the coat and his observations are on point, there are salient take-aways. On a personal level, I was actually really pleased to see/confirm that my own customized coat has been on the right path in many ways. So, to me, a customized-collar, heavily waxed WSL is remains the closest thing to the production coat... Especially in terms of color and material. Kudos also to BEP and ELS to also see a lot of their details here too, btw. To me, the coat that comes off being the least accurate is SR. Its incorrect patterns have been identified and discussed extensively but as Adam can confirm, color-wise, they're also off.

• Color and fabric: Adam makes a point of saying how his team "worked hard on finding the right material" and how the replica coat's color is “dead-nuts to the color” adding, “there’s a lot of debate about the color and I’m here to tell you this is exactly the right color” … “it is the correct color which is a WAXED CANVASS dirtied with some mud and browns...” To me, this puts both the acrylic laminated and color issue to bed, guys: the coat is waxed -not laminated with acrylic- and the color is that dark-green with touches of brown.

View attachment 1805323

Another interesting detail is how the trim on the long side of the collar (at least of the coat this replica is based on) appears to be half an inch like on my WSL custom collar, and not a full inch like on other coats (and given scenes in the film).

View attachment 1805324

View attachment 1805325

This raises another interesting issue. Soul Revovler's color reflects what we see in given scenes with heavy color grading (i.e. that blue-ish, gray-ish hue), but, as Adam Savage can finally confirm, it is not what the original production coat looks like. So, SR's is 'screen accurate' to the extent that it nicely matches the color grading in the Trash Mesa scenes, but it is not the production coat's actual color. (In this regard, the scenes in Los Vegas seem to match the coat's real color to a greater degree).​

• Collar: the collar, is very impressive and, to my eyes, dead-on in terms of patterns. Once again, we can confirm that the collar is large, curved and tapered. It's a pity Adam didn't attempt to pop up the collar while wearing it to have a better idea of some aspects...

View attachment 1805345View attachment 1805346

• Patterns: a lot of nice details in general that we see in WSL, BEP, ELS but... like WSL and the 12 inch doll, the coat is nearly double breasted. This is something every coat maker should take note of, IMO.

View attachment 1805349

• Shearling: It’s odd how Adam states that they tried to use real shearling initially. If they’re trying to make an exact replica of the coat, why deviate from the faux shearling in the first place? The shearling they eventually sourced, however, is excellent

• Shoulder panels: Adam's shoulder panels have some structuring but it's subtle. Again, this depends on the given production coat that's under scrutiny. For example, the Trash Mesa scenes feature a coat with clearly heavy structuring/padding whereas the promo still coats are almost devoid of structure.
In sum, it's nice to see K's coat still getting much needed love almost seven years after the film was released. Hopefully, this will galvanize the current coat providers can keep improving their product. And Soul Revolver especially, should take notice and get with the program.
we will never get out of here :)

I started agreeing exactly what you are talking about above, just also when encycolorpedia confirm me those subtle brown shades that your coat has, the same as it confirm them when I click not only in wallace archive entrance stills, but also on museum coats pics.

Probably my sight betrays me and maybe I don't have a real pro-level experience with laminated fabrics, but I repeat I would be afraid that a mess would result from spraying like that on a waxed fabric, he didn't even put tape to protect the edges, and from the way it floats in the film, the waxed ones I've seen around are stiffer and heavier.
However, that's the visual effect, waxed (intended as it was done with classic fabric dressing wax). We were already doubting it, and I cannot have anything more to argue.

But mine is also a matter of my personal taste, because Jameel's laminate too, give that result on the color finder, and so it's confirmed close to what you assert, but here where I come from, I already experimented how I feel and how other people react when I go around with a dark coat, I ended prefering a lighter tone, SA or not. And honestly, I don't even know if SR is that clearer, but I don't see other choice except taking a wsl (uncoated) and waxed the same you did, you showed me, your coat it's not that dark (at least, in pics I saw) and it'd be nice, but something is bringing me to spend more and try to reach what I have in mind, eventually it will be beautiful anyway and with a personal unique coat, but I know it's another expensive gamble from me.
Perhaps I could also have room to modify the collar and make it more funnel-shaped, according to the measurements they told me, who knows, at least from there I had certain written data.
From the other two considerable vendors, I definitely can't say to have had the due responses about that, and I swear, at the moment rather than a third jacket with only half a cm of any tight size problem, I would prefer to have a 90s rapper style xxxl one and have to tighten it all over.

Last edited:
Another couple considerations.

To bend like in the movie, the collar on the right side (the free one not connected to lapels) should be curved also on the side imo (certainly more than mine and all the replicas I saw) so that the folded upper part comes out and covers well the one below which remains further back and almost hidden, and not just almost straight.
Furthermore, the buckle seems to be positioned (also by Adam) in such a way that it gives a less contracted shape to the folded collar, sometimes almost placing it sideways, or in any case when it is well adherent with the magnets that touch each other, it leaves a little lower part over extended and bent, not perfectly symmetrical and equal between the folded and non-folded part.

closeup1.jpg

On SR, if I have to re-evaluate the magnets, this time I'll take it into account, I'll leave it aside to work on mine again about that too, also because with that superglue I found on mybep, it makes a good scenic effect by hiding the presence of the underlying magnet as much as possible, but in certain stills from the movie, to me, however, the magnets finally appear visible, perhaps framed with a seam just like SR or wsl does, and if one day you have to change them, at least you avoid ruining the fabric struggling with that superglue.

magnets.jpg

Therefore beyond the problem of the narrow collar, I must say about my bep that over time it seems obvious to me that it lends itself to very few modifications, and at least for changing the magnets (for size fine tuning, or which over time can normally lose effectiveness) should be easier (an it's not, since you clearly risk ruining the fabric).

Last edited:
Hi guys,

• Nevertheless, this is still an amazing piece. So, if we can just assume Adam’s copy is truly a ‘bang on’ replica of the coat and his observations are on point, there are salient take-aways. On a personal level, I was actually really pleased to see/confirm that my own customized coat has been on the right path in many ways. So, to me, a customized-collar, heavily waxed WSL is remains the closest thing to the production coat... Especially in terms of color and material. Kudos also to BEP and ELS to also see a lot of their details here too, btw. To me, the coat that comes off being the least accurate is SR. Its incorrect patterns have been identified and discussed extensively but as Adam can confirm, color-wise, they're also off.

• Color and fabric: Adam makes a point of saying how his team "worked hard on finding the right material" and how the replica coat's color is “dead-nuts to the color” adding, “there’s a lot of debate about the color and I’m here to tell you this is exactly the right color” … “it is the correct color which is a WAXED CANVASS dirtied with some mud and browns...” To me, this puts both the acrylic laminated and color issue to bed, guys: the coat is waxed -not laminated with acrylic- and the color is an earthy dark-green.

View attachment 1805323

View attachment 1805324

View attachment 1805325

This raises another interesting issue. Soul Revovler's color reflects what we see in given scenes with heavy color grading (i.e. that blue-ish, gray-ish hue), but, as Adam Savage can finally confirm, it is not what the original production coat looks like. So, SR's color is 'screen accurate' only to the extent that it nicely matches the color grading in the Trash Mesa scenes, but it is not the production coat's actual color. (In this regard, the scenes in Los Vegas seem to match the coat's real color to a greater degree).​

• Collar: the collar is very impressive and, to my eyes, dead-on in terms of patterns. Once again, we can confirm that the collar is large, curved and tapered. It's a pity Adam didn't attempt to pop up the collar while wearing it to have a better idea of some aspects...

View attachment 1805345View attachment 1805346

View attachment 1805349

In sum, it's nice to see K's coat getting some much needed love and attention almost seven years after the film was released. Hopefully, this will galvanize the current coat providers can keep improving their product. Soul Revolver especially. At this point, if they want their claim of producing a "screen accurate replica" to hold any water, they really need to update their coat design.

Mechanismo, you can be very proud of your modified WSL coat, but I think there is some confirmation bias going on here.

We have known for quite some time that the production coat is made of laminated cotton. I do not see Adam‘s video as counter evidence.

But first, the color.

As I understand it, the correct reproduction of the coat‘s color was important to him. That is the color of the coat he had on hand. We do not know which of many coats made for BR2049 he was given. Was it a prototype? Was it used for filming? Which scene? In what condition was it in?

As for the screen accurate color, in the movie itself the color is recognized and mentioned by a character: „The man with the green jacket, the one who killed Sapper, find out what he knows.“ And we see it, of course.Put that color under orange light (and the corresponding color grading for the particular scenes in Las Vegas) and it is perceived differently. What to do now?

Adam itself answers in the video:

„There is a lot of debate about the color and I am here to tell you this is exactly the right color but that doesn’t necessarily help you because the artifacts of what we look on on cameras and screen change colors all the time. It looks very different under all sort of different lighting conditions which is the reason no one can agree on what color it is.“

I, for one, want what is seen on screen. And that is green. SR nailed it in that regard.

Back to the material. Laminated cotton is NOT easy to get hold of for a project like this. Normal cotton is easy to get in all kinds of qualities and colors. Even for Adam‘s tailor it would have been easier to get a fabric that in combination with waxing resulted in what Adam wanted: the correct color - for him.

As for the other details of the coat, I caught many minor things that are off. But overall it is pretty accurate and a very good result for a cosplay project that is not a 100% dead on reproduction. Quote Adam:

„There is a specific moment with a costume like this. I love this coat enough that I stopped looking at the reference material because it actually feels that it looks great on me and that‘s what I‘m gonna go for. So, sometimes there is a handoff between like perfect accuracy and just something that looks great on me. And yeah, I often choose the latter specifically because I frikkin love this coat.“

So, there aren’t too many conclusions one can draw from his presentation. I just love his enthusiasm.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back