Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Re: Rogue One Felicity Jones gun - ideas

Image2.jpg

Still from SW R1 celebration trailer

I have watched the new 8/11/16 trailer a few times and so far I have added only one new observation and it is not very informative. At 1:46 we can see what appears to be Jyn's belt closure at her left hip. All I can say for certain is this closure is taller than the height of her belt. Earlier photos hinted at this but nothing I have seen so far has been helpful in capturing the design of this element.

I think they'd probably go with metal, that's why I think it's a WE.

The Tanakas are more expensive and plastic, making them more delicate.

They're also a little harder to come by.

I think we're pretty sure it has to be the 6" Naval version, because of that rear sight section.

I'm starting to see a couple weird details, though, on the prop. Things that don't match up with any Luger I've seen.

5154a032e1173eec7f41bef50f39618b.png

I'm guessing this is a stunt version, but there's what looks like a cut out area at the back on the side, beside the rear sight.

There's a raised ridge of material that follows the contour of the Luger, and in this photo, that ridge looks broken or cut away.

I agree, this is likely a stunt model, though most stunt models these days are exact copies of the hero model made out of urethane.

To me, the rear sight looks like it is covered. From my experience, Star Wars military blasters have scopes while civilian models might have iron sights. Though iron sights are generally a no no. Visible/identifiable magazines have also been a no no. But they seem to be veering off of that street for Rogue One.

Is it possible that the barrel extension is actually an off the peg suppressor baffle? It looks the right size.

I am now trying to find one with the 6 indent holes down the side like the one on her gun.

Aren't they actually holes on the hero prop? For me, that was a tell that made that the stunt version.

I was mistaken. On the one used in the Celebration display they are actually holes with what looks like an inner brass barrel that fits snug inside the outer barrel

27831279454_4aed032e1a_k - Copy.jpg

There appears to be multiple guns used which is to be expected; some which fire, some good for closeups, some only holstered, some for action, etc. Some of the shrouds have holes which do go all the way through, others which do not. I assume the ones without holes are "cast" replicas. The ones with holes would require more maintenance and cleaning so I would expect them to be rarely used. I am using aluminum tubes for my shroud, the outside has an OD of 1.125" and then another which slips inside of it. I have holes which can align and show an opening, with a slight twist of the inner tube the outside holes are blocked and show only a slight "indent". This way I can have either option as necessary.

smithjohnj

I am using aluminum tubes for my shroud, the outside has an OD of 1.125" and then another which slips inside of it. I have holes which can align and show an opening, with a slight twist of the inner tube the outside holes are blocked and show only a slight "indent". This way I can have either option as necessary

I like your thinking there, I might just do the same...I love this site for idea's

Cheers :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

There are some new photos of Rogue One Toys. One of interest to me is the following:

http://www.ew.com/gallery/star-wars...sive/2729128_gallery-no-crops-jyn-erso-toys-9

It shows the left side of Jyn's belt. I never know the accuracy of the toys but this seems to show the front of the belt simply overlaps the portion coming from the rear. From some other photos the front part of the closure appears thicker than a single layer of belt leather. This matches my approach of using a simple Fidlock magnetic buckle. My initial idea is to fold the front end over to double the thickness. This allows me to cut out an opening in the folded portion which will hold half the Fidlock in the opening and surface mount the other half on the rear portion.. I am interested in other people's opinion especially anyone who has better photos or personal observation of the belt.

Looks like the blaster can accept barrel and stock attachments:

disney-store-elite-jyn_in-package.jpg

Maybe that's why the messed with the back of the Luger.

It also looks like the Jakks Pacific Big-Figs Jyn Erso has the barrel attachment:

HT_jyn_erso_as_160830.jpg
MZn9bjsATcObuPieOwbn_Rogue-One_EW_Toys_10.jpg

Nerf's also releasing this $50 blaster that's supposed to be Erso's, but it's more similar to Cassian Andor's:

vcyywrrpapj8oegliri4.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, So before I jump in to my 3D design for Jyn's blaster I thought I would do a quick photoshop sketch to see if I am on the right track. Let me know what's "off" so I can make changes and carry on. Once I finish the 3D .stl I'll post them for anyone to use.JBW.jpg

Imagehunter I think your sketch looks great. I post the following comments not as "facts" but in the hope others will chime in to support or challenge these observations as they are based on fuzzy photos.

I do not believe the black ring on the shroud is ribbed.
I do believe there are very shallow grooves on the section of the shroud behind the black ring on the toggle side.
I believe the front face of the black extension under the shroud is angled much like you have angled the section in front of the trigger guard.
I believe on the left side there are only two machine screws holding the side bracket, but there are three screws on the right side.

Not a part of the print but the safety should be removed.

One question on your design. Do you have the right side and left side bracket as one piece wrapping over the top of the barrel? I have considered that possibility but so far have not found any evidence to accept or reject that idea. I have also thought there might be some connection between the bracket and the shroud. I would be interested in your thought as you have obviously spend some time analyzing the design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back