Andor/Rogue One binoculars build

The prop is a rough recasting of the Rogue One macrobinoculars. They WERE actually made for Rogue One, not just concepted.
They added and removed details but definitely started with a copy of the R1 prop.
Andor reused lots of props, costumes, creatures etc from Rogue One because both were filmed in the UK.

The prop is a rough recasting of the Rogue One macrobinoculars. They WERE actually made for Rogue One, not just concepted.
They added and removed details but definitely started with a copy of the R1 prop.
Andor reused lots of props, costumes, creatures etc from Rogue One because both were filmed in the UK.
Thank you so much for that info. Helps me a lot. I should probably change the title into Andor/Rogue One Binoculars. Any pics of that R1 prop (not the concept)?

Well today I'm working on the lenses. Removing the paint already gives it that SW vibe.
1000006106.jpg

Last edited:
Basically this is it. All I need now are the three 'boxes' on top. Then it's ready for paint.
1000006231.jpg

I've been breaking my head over the two 'half' octagon shaped boxes on top of the binocs. If they were machined out of metal, wood or whatever, all sides and angles would be the same. I can imagine the sides having a different length but the angle should be the same, it's pre-set. If a real octagon shaped item was used all sides and angles would be the same. But that is not the case, the length of the sides and angles differ. So I have no idea what it is.
It might be part of a model kit or a toy or something.
Yes I can easily fabricate an idealized version of this with even sides and angles but I am dying to know the story behind this.

Last edited:
Really enjoying seeing your progress on this, I’m impressed by how quickly you’ve put this together. I went a head and picked up a 470 & a 471, the one I got didn’t have the little nub you pointed out, must be a different variant, but I’m not too bothered by that.

Definitely won’t be as quick as you (I’ve still not got round to building the R1 concept lol) but at least I’ve got the parts for when the time comes.

Really enjoying seeing your progress on this, I’m impressed by how quickly you’ve put this together. I went a head and picked up a 470 & a 471, the one I got didn’t have the little nub you pointed out, must be a different variant, but I’m not too bothered by that.

Definitely won’t be as quick as you (I’ve still not got round to building the R1 concept lol) but at least I’ve got the parts for when the time comes.
That's because I have a 3 week holiday
Surprised to hear that about the 470, could be a variant.

Last edited:
almar bouwman - I can't help you with the printing, but I can help by creating a clean version of the reticle markings (unless of course you want the image above printed exactly as is... here is my first take on the markings... I can see what appear to more "waves" as the horizontal lines extends, but I went with more right-angle markings in keeping with the measurement intent of a scope reticle. Let me know if you are interested and I can iterate/size/color the design as you need.

R1_AndorPanel_v1.png

If you prefer, here is a quick version of the original image with the perspective tweaked...

R1_AndorPanel_v2.png

And alternately, I can combine these two as well (clean vector reticles with a hazy blue image behind, etc.)

Thanks.

Wherever I get round to starting I was planning to use this mirrored green/blue Perspex.

Your reticle over the top on a transparency should work great.

Printing on clear is tricky at home but Staples has "overhead" printing on clear. Because your image does not need to be reversed, it could print either way and still have the choice of gloss, in or out (but printing reverse and normal while at the store is only a couple bucks extra, so do it and save yourself a trip). The issue in printing arises from the plastic sheet melting as these are toner only prints. Staples has a function on their printers that will print cooler than normal. Here is a sample:

clan_pinshades.png

Because I know how things never look quite 100% opaque, I started with shades . I think I ended up using something far less opaque on my final.

20230824_213801.jpg
20230901_231839.jpg

almar bouwman - I can't help you with the printing, but I can help by creating a clean version of the reticle markings (unless of course you want the image above printed exactly as is... here is my first take on the markings... I can see what appear to more "waves" as the horizontal lines extends, but I went with more right-angle markings in keeping with the measurement intent of a scope reticle. Let me know if you are interested and I can iterate/size/color the design as you need.

View attachment 1778589

If you prefer, here is a quick version of the original image with the perspective tweaked...

View attachment 1778588

And alternately, I can combine these two as well (clean vector reticles with a hazy blue image behind, etc.)
Definitely interested.
Thanks.

Wherever I get round to starting I was planning to use this mirrored green/blue Perspex.

Your reticle over the top on a transparency should work great.
Had the same idea.
But I don't know how/where to start. And living in the Netherlands doesn't help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back