Rogue One - Bodhi Rook costume (+ identified parts)

IT'S POSSIBLE!!!

I know I'm surely gonna sound obsessive by now, but I still wasn't satisfied with the color of my jumpsuit.
I happened to have a discussion about color-theory with a friend of mine who is working as a painter.
He doesn't have any experience in dyeing fabric, but he surely knows his stuff when it comes to mixing colors.
He told me, if the starting color contains too much yellow and I'm aiming for a bluish-grey, then I have to add violet!
That went a bit against my intuition, because I was afraid the suit would look purple or brown, but I still gave it a try.
So I bleached (or rather "decolorated") the suit again to the well-known tan and dyed in violet.
And it worked! The suit turned out grey!

DSC_0491a.JPG

It was still a little too light in shade, so I gently put in some more pure blue and that finally resulted in the desired washed-out blue-grey.

suitfinal.JPG

So that shows again, that thinking (or asking...) first can save you a lot of work and pain.
(But of course I'm telling myself that all the decoloring and redyeing added to the weathered look...).
Finally time to start on the detail-work!!

Last edited:
Now a little update on the goggles. Wasn't really satisfied with my first attempt, because they looked ridiculously large on my head. Here's a quick action-shot for comparison:

Studio_20161016_175824.jpgStudio_20161016_173755.jpg

I tried several different models, but had the same "size-problems" with all of them.
So I did a bit more of research and by now I'm pretty sure that the goggles used for the movie are NOT the HF105-3 Hengfa goggles as was stated on parts-of-Star-Wars.
If you look at the black vents in comparison to the rest of the goggles you will see that Bodhi's actual goggles seem to be smaller (assuming that the black vents are always the same size). And the part where the headband is attached looks different or at least much closer to the vents:

210_201581510184845138.jpgStudio_20161016_173649.jpg

Still, I think that they are indeed Hengfa goggles, but a different model. In the past, Hengfa sold a model that was called HF105-S. It was described as "small, for women and children". Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any pictures of those. And currently they are not offered anymore by Hengfa.
But it gave me a new direction to work from.
So now I searched for kids' goggles. There was only one model available that looked at least remotely close. I had to work in new cutouts for the vents and put in a broader headband.

Studio_20161102_210152.jpgStudio_20161102_211249.jpg

They are still not 100% screen-accurate, but the overall look when worn on my head is far closer to the original. So unless I'm able to get my hands on an old pair of HF105-S kids' goggles I guess I'm gonna stick with this last version.
(Still enough other parts to work on...)

Last edited:
Cool! First pix of an actual "Bodhi in action" I've seen so far!
I'm especially envious about your jumpsuit. Cut and fabric seem pretty dead on! Where did you order that one?

Cool! First pix of an actual "Bodhi in action" I've seen so far!
I'm especially envious about your jumpsuit. Cut and fabric seem pretty dead on! Where did you order that one?

Its a black wampa wear flight suit. I first tried bleach/water bad idea,then used rit dye color remover like you, tried dyeing grey but went back to a near black again, so I used way more color remover and used a more blue dye the new rit dye poly Kentucky sky color. Then I just got it dirty with some light grey ash from the fireplace :lol

Its a black wampa wear flight suit. I first tried bleach/water bad idea,then used rit dye color remover like you, tried dyeing grey but went back to a near black again, so I used way more color remover and used a more blue dye the new rit dye poly Kentucky sky color. Then I just got it dirty with some light grey ash from the fireplace :lol
Awesome! Using ash is a great idea. I thought about using charcoal, but the different grey shadings of the ash result in a far nicer multilayer-effect - and that with just one step! :D:thumbsup

Here's my (still WIP) test-assembly for Halloween.
(just a quick snapshot, sorry for the bad quality...)

Studio_20161102_212250.jpg

Last edited:
For dying nylon you use vinegar instead of salt.
It needs a acid to etch in the color.

Learned that while researching dying military web gear for backpacks.

Hi!

Finally some progress to report on my commpad, too.
Took me a while to find some switches with button-caps in the right diameter.
Estimated the original ones to be 15mm across (round ones) and the rectangular ones 15 x 20mm.
As the base for the commpad I used some piece of pvc-gutter. It came curved in a convenient way to fit around my forearm. I sawed out a piece of 12 x 12 cm that fit snugly into the forearmpocket.

DSC_0573.JPGDSC_0574.JPG

Because I didn't want to just flat-glue the pieces on, I drilled holes to put the switches into.
(actually not the whole switches, just the pressable button-parts - whatever the technical term for these might be...)

The basic parts put in and the first layer of paint applied.

DSC_0599.JPGDSC_0611.JPG

Test-assembly with buttoncaps. The cutout in my sleeve seems to be slightly smaller than the original. Because I used the dimensions of mine for the outline of the whole setup, my buttons are a little too close together. Don't know if I'll have enough time to fix that...

DSC_0612.JPGDSC_0614.JPG

Now there are several issues I'd like to hear your comments on:

- I removed the white 'diffuser-disc' from inside the red button. Which version do you like better? The red one looks more accurate, but a bit too much of the hollow inside shines through...

- The buttons on the original commpad seem to be dry-brushed with silver paint. To my eyes that looks a bit odd on the transparent parts of the buttons. So I'd rather use black paint for weathering those. Less screen-accurate, but more realistic. Or what do you think?

- If time allows, I'm planning to print some Aurabesh letters or some kind of status-bar on a piece of glossy foil and put that into the slim cutout. Or should I just put in flat silver plastic to match the original?

By the way, that's the picture I used as my primary reference:
Studio_20161005_213438.png

Last edited:
For dying nylon you use vinegar instead of salt.
It needs a acid to etch in the color.

Learned that while researching dying military web gear for backpacks.

Interesting!
In the instructions of the color they also said, you should add vinegar when dyeing nylon, but ADDITIONALY to the salt...
So you used vinegar INSTEAD? Or just a reduced amount of salt?

Was that off the makers site?

Looking through my notes off some survivalist site IIRC.

Synthetic materials, no salt.
pre- wash to remove any water proofing or coatings.

So here my first pics from the midnight premiere of Rogue One in Hamburg, Germany!
Studio_20161221_180150.jpgStudio_20161221_204548.jpg

Great movie! (Don't worry - won't spoil anything!)

Totally exhausted, but can't stop smiling....

Last edited:
I pulled this from a still on the People 20min special. The other reference for the goggles has a well-placed glare that masks what appears to me as an italic "T" possible branding on the bridge. Or maybe this is a recession for a bracket that has since been removed?
IMG_2471.PNGIMG_2472.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a shot from the R1 Visual Dictionary that gives a clearer shot of the new compad.
IMG_2474.JPG

I pulled this from a still on the People 20min special. The other reference for the goggles has a well-placed glare that masks what appears to me as an italic "T" possible branding on the bridge. Or maybe this is a recession for a bracket that has since been removed?

Here's a shot from the R1 Visual Dictionary that gives a clearer shot of the new compad.

Cool! Thanks for the shots! Such closeups are always helpful!

Ordered my visual dictionary, but haven't received it yet...
Is there any info on the round greeble-thing in his left upper breast pocket??

Posting the Bodhi shots from the Gatwick Airport display. These are not screen-used but re-created by Disney for display.
IMG_2665.JPGIMG_2668.JPGIMG_2669.JPGIMG_2673.JPGIMG_2674.JPG

Now WHAT is in his breast pocket? Clutch part? Wheel hub?

Attachments

• IMG_2650.PNG
    IMG_2650.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 327
What's up, fellas? I took the family to the El Capitan Theatre last night to see Rogue One (again) and also to check out the costume display. Here are a few photos, FWIW. Nice work.

IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG

Sorry about the orientation. Don't know what happened.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back