Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

The Disney release schedule for this year is very heavy.
Jungle Book, Captain America:CW, Alice through the Looking Glass,Finding Dory,Petes Dragon, Dr Strange and .......... finally ..........Rogue One.
Given all the other studio summer blockbusters it would seem a bit too early to go with this now and have to pay such a huge amount to do so. Particularly when they know they can get massive viewer figures for their own channels ,based on last years TFA trailer release and more cheaply.
Maybe we'll get a teaser trailer when TFA DVD comes out, but I'd be surprised, as they would rather want to hit this strongly to take the megabucks coming early into Easter, as if TWO BILLION DOLLARS currently (Dr Evil voice) at the BO isn't quite enough!!!!
So I'm guessing they will structure the marketing for this exactly like the release of TFA, with the interest and merchandise release building later in the year for the Xmas sales. Imagine how crazy things will go once people get a glimpse of Vader or hear his voice (or just the breathing!). Plus theres all the old SW designs and the Deathstar. And there is very ,very little out there really about whats happening in this film, certainly in comparison to TFA. All the focus and comment on TFA has sort of allowed R1 to have been shrouded in mystery, which I kind of like. Plus everything is building for the VIII shoot now, so I guess they could really keep things focused there and quiet on R1 for a long time. As an OTier I'm looking forward to this perhaps slightly more than TFA.
Maybe they will release something at this years Celebration in London perhaps?

And I'm NOT getting up at three in the morning again!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm still surprised they haven't officially released that SDCC(?) teaser. It's not much but it'd be nice to see a non-shaky cam version of it. TFA got a more involved teaser over a year before release so it seems like it'd be an easy thing to do.

I'm still surprised they haven't officially released that SDCC(?) teaser. It's not much but it'd be nice to see a non-shaky cam version of it. TFA got a more involved teaser over a year before release so it seems like it'd be an easy thing to do.

wait a minute.. now thinking... that trailer shows the tie fighters above the tree line and the death star in the sky right? is that endor? was the death star 1 built on the endor moon as well?

wait a minute.. now thinking... that trailer shows the tie fighters above the tree line and the death star in the sky right? is that endor? was the death star 1 built on the endor moon as well?

Never thought of that,....would be cool.....& rather than having to build that Imperial shield generator again for a second DS....perhaps there were other reasons they used that moon for materials etc

J

That was just something ILM threw together I doubt they would officially release something that basic and unpolished.

Well it was a teaser in the purest sense. It basically revealed nothing but I didn't think it was that unpolished. I figured it'd a least show up on the official Youtube channel by now.

As for the planet being the Endor moon, that's something that hadn't occurred to me though I tend to doubt it.

Never thought of that,....would be cool.....& rather than having to build that Imperial shield generator again for a second DS....perhaps there were other reasons they used that moon for materials etc

J

possibly a great planet to have manufacturing plants, and power stations with no other real intelligent life besides the teddy bears its a great place to build a super weapon under cover.

It seems that a substantial number of people don't actually seem to know that Rogue One is even a thing.
I work in the industry and still find myself having the conversation "So, looking forward to the next star wars film?" "Oh yeah, hope episode VIII is as good as VII was" "No, I mean Rogue One, it's out in December" "What's that?".
Civil War, Jungle Book, Zootropolis (which a lot of people seem to be forgetting about as well) all have trailers, Finding Dory is a sequel anyone with kids will be likely to know about - Pete's Dragon and Dr Strange both need some introduction but I doubt there's anything to show for them yet where as Rogue One is in post production and they've started with the merchandising march at Toy Fairs. I'm hopeful for a Super Bowl trailer.

besides the teddy bears
And come on, we're better than that kind of species segregation! What next, calling wookies giant walking carpets?

Well it was a teaser in the purest sense. It basically revealed nothing but I didn't think it was that unpolished. I figured it'd a least show up on the official Youtube channel by now.

As for the planet being the Endor moon, that's something that hadn't occurred to me though I tend to doubt it.

I guess what I mean is that was never produced to be "official". I think they are just know deciding on how to market this film as to not create any confusion with Ep. VIII in peoples minds.

You'd think that an on board shield generator would be like, the first thing they'd build

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well the old rumors were that Fett, Cad Bane and the bounty hunters we saw in TESB would be tasked with retrieving the plans though that seems like weird work for their ilk. Of course one of the new comics has Vader tasking Boba Fett of all people to act as one of his personal spies to find out who Luke Skywalker is. So if the new canon favors that bit if silliness, who knows? It's obvious they were just trying to insert him into things in some form or fashion. I guess next Fett will be Vader's personal chauffeur and manservant...
Look I really like Boba Fett too, but I really hope that's wrong. It makes the Rebels' victory just a courier mission. I think we all assumed that the "first major victory against the Empire" was the Rebels stealing the plans. It doesn't even make sense that something this important would be given to bounty hunters, who people apparently have a very low appreciation for! I mean, Dengar looks like a complete idiot, why would you give him anything important?! :lol

Bounty hunters would be a bad call. We don't know what the "first major victory" was, but it wasn't the stealing of the plans. That may have been an objective, but not the objective. The opening crawl of Star Wars says "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans", et cetera, and "Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans", and so forth.

The implication I always got from that was 1) the battle was either an intentional distraction with the intent of stealing the plans, or else the plans were a prize of opportunity that were secured during an otherwise-already-planned strike... 2) the battle had just taken place, and everyone was still in the midst of initial reactions... and 3) the spies referred to were already almost caught and beamed the plans in several transmissions to Leia's ship (per dialogue), which then took off a-runnin' with Vader hot on her heels. Ergo, no time for bounty hunters.

--Jonah

very disapointed they didnt show the teaser during the super bowl. have a geek friend who also doesnt know about this movie. im kind of surprised giving the success of
the force awakens how theres no publicity for this even now.

Bounty hunters would be a bad call. We don't know what the "first major victory" was, but it wasn't the stealing of the plans. That may have been an objective, but not the objective. The opening crawl of Star Wars says "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans", et cetera, and "Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans", and so forth.

The implication I always got from that was 1) the battle was either an intentional distraction with the intent of stealing the plans, or else the plans were a prize of opportunity that were secured during an otherwise-already-planned strike... 2) the battle had just taken place, and everyone was still in the midst of initial reactions... and 3) the spies referred to were already almost caught and beamed the plans in several transmissions to Leia's ship (per dialogue), which then took off a-runnin' with Vader hot on her heels. Ergo, no time for bounty hunters.

--Jonah
Spot on!!! We all wanted to see that huge rebel assault and an overpowering Imperial counter ,which is what we actually got with TESB. The impression back then was always that Leia had barely escaped during that battle, with Vader chasing in hot pursuit and what was left of the rebel fleet had fled to Yarvin after having been soundly beaten by the Empire ,which was why the ships were so damaged and scarred. Which made it all a very much last desperate gamble for them in ANH. So I hope they deliver what that single piece of concept art promised us, a dark ,gritty and mature Star Wars feature film , designed to appeal directly to all the older OT fans.
And whilst a teaser trailer would be appreciated by so many of us, its a carefull line they need to manage with the general public. Given the tendancy towards negativity these days, going early with it could be counter productive. People are expecting a simple progression of the films, much like LOTR,Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games have managed. Without supporting the trailer with alot of press release and information the obvious reaction will be "What its like before Star Wars, so its a PREQUEL then ,with ANOTHER DeathStar!!!!!!!" I can hear and foresee all the mock outrage and troll baiting comments from here without even having to use the force.
Starting to build the awareness in the summer with the Celbration in mid July makes more sense ,its still along time to go until Xmas and given the speed at which the internet moves on to the next thing these days six months is still a huge period in which to build a general audience.
The way they managed TFA was a masterclass of publicity and marketing, and it paid off handsomely so I think it will probably closely mirror this. But so little has actually leaked about this in comparison to TFA I think they will have to hit this alot harder, and use all the iconic references to the Original trilogy.
So Go Vader then!!!

There are some classified data and info the Empire shouldn't trust any kind of bounty hunter (or any outsiders for that matter) to get their hands on, even if supposedly to return back to them.

Bounty hunters have become the "go-to" for a third faction in the star wars universe.

What about crime syndicates or pirates? Or mercenaries or even special ops?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back