Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One

Wait, now people have a problem with R2 and 3P0? Who's next, Lando? It's starting to get ridiculous, the amount of character issues that are popping up among fans.

I don't think that it's because of R2 & 3PO per se as much because the way Lucas felt that he just had to include them in the Prequels and the way they were portrayed in them.

Yeah, I have no problem with them though I thought their portrayal in the PT could've been handled better.

I would have been fine with them in the Prequels -- used appropriately (i.e., as part of the droid pool on Bail Organa's starship). They would still get in all sorts of adventures the organics would never believe and keep ending back home at the end -- with Artoo saving the day more than once and never getting the credit for it.

Anyone else remember when we were kids and George Lucas said he had 9 movies in his head, and that they followed R2 and 3PO?
And that previous to ANH they belonged to either Bail Organa or some guy named Achilles or something (my memory gets fuzzy there)?
Anybody else? Just me?...
Twelve, initially, then nine, then six. As he got more and more tired of doing Star Wars. The "rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker" interpretation came from Rick McCallum during the making of the Special Editions.

--Jonah

The appeal this film is going to have for me is I expect a lot of familiar territory, I want it to fit into what happened to me in 1977.
I don't want tons of new hardware and things that make me realize this is modern CGI bloat fest because they can create anything and
need tons of new things to sell toys.
If it does not mate up well, it's not going to work for me. I want to think yes this IS the event of what the opening crawl spoke of.
Ships and hardware need to look plausible to me that this is right. I know this is supposed to be harder look at the fact this
is about war, but don't forget some of the fun of serials even though this is stand alone. And I risk contradicted myself here...
And since these new characters are probably never heard from again, they
can show sacrifice and death of main characters, because that is war. Something Kurtz wanted to do with Solo before he
was invited to leave by Lucas.

So seeing new helmets and new things sort of sets me off a bit the wrong way, I get more interested
by seeing the old stuff being used. Hell I would insist the film be done with models again.
I would be curious what the creative teams philosophy is on how this film will mesh with Star Wars 77.
Wild camera shots zooming about for instance doesn't work.

I hope this film works for me because it's the only new SW that has gotten my interest, a small miracle actually.

Wait, now people have a problem with R2 and 3P0? Who's next, Lando? It's starting to get ridiculous, the amount of character issues that are popping up among fans.
It's not that. It's that when we shoehorn familiar characters into every story it comes off as fan service and it makes the galaxy seem smaller.

That guy in the clone wars who was the template for the clones was cool. The fact that he was boba fett's dad made him less cool.

A lot of the characters from the OT were their because they were at the right place at the right time. And when we continually find reasons to implicate them into this saga it feels like there is a larger fate thing going on.
^ Ever see Kelly's Heroes?

--Jonah

No Jedi or Skywalkers in that one either right? ;)
Nope. :p Great example of humor in what amounts to a military heist film, and in which people die. It can be done.

It's not that. It's that when we shoehorn familiar characters into every story it comes off as fan service and it makes the galaxy seem smaller.
I agree, more or less. There are specific instances that do work...
That guy in the clone wars who was the template for the clones was cool. The fact that he was boba fett's dad made him less cool.
I know I've drawn flak for going on about my rewrites, but that was one thing that bugged me enough to fix. I had multiple donors, because it was the Death Watch who had commissioned the clone army, because they just didn't have the sheer numbers. When Obi-Wan followed the clues there, he did find Jango Fett... there to try to retrieve his younger brother Boba, who had gotten involved with the Death Watch as rebellion against his older brother. When Jango got killed as a result of his "friends", he quit and went back to Mandalore to become a Protector, and the Republic gained possession of the clone army.
A lot of the characters from the OT were their because they were at the right place at the right time. And when we continually find reasons to implicate them into this saga it feels like there is a larger fate thing going on.
At the same time, there should be some throughline for continuity and the narrative leitmotif of revisiting familiar elements, evolved. I.e., in my rewrite (*waits for eyerolls to stop*), my opening shot of Episode I is the shiny, clean, freshly-painted Tantive IV approaching Naboo from the angle made famous by Star Wars. Senator Bail Organa is there on a secret mission from the Chancellor. So a generation later, the "theme" is revisited in A New Hope when we see the same ship, more worn down, pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, and bearing Bail's daughter. In neither case is it dwelled on, and the action doesn't stay on those ships and characters, but they help establish the larger generations-spanning narrative.

But I totally agree, and maintain there's a big gulf between the occasional touchstone and everything and everyone related to everything and everyone else. However, George did maintain that the whole thing was essentially told from the droids' point of view, and that can be handled well (Original Trilogy) or less well (Prequels). He kinda fell victim to his general tendency to forget what he'd said back in the '70s. :unsure

--Jonah

Donnie Yen posted this pic and it's since been pulled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 88

When will there be word about when we will get the HD teaser that leaked at Celebration? MI is released and well past it's opening! I want to see that teaser in HD!

Last edited:

I'm a bit surprised we haven't gotten it either but at this point, being so close to the release of TFA, they might be afraid of confusing people.

No. It was back during Celebration. It can be found on Youtube. When it first leaked they were trying VERY heavily to keep it under wraps though.

oh yes the tie fighter in the forest, sorry for the confusion

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back