Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Im curious how much hate the hardest core, inner core, molten lava SW fans will come off with after seeing R1 twice. There are more cameo type appearances than even I expected some of which are game to bring in that TFA nostalgia argument. By far the look and feel of R1 is right there with the OT which will make this in the top 3 SW films for most, but haters gonna hate.

Im curious how much hate the hardest core, inner core, molten lava SW fans will come off with after seeing R1 twice. There are more cameo type appearances than even I expected some of which are game to bring in that TFA nostalgia argument. By far the look and feel of R1 is right there with the OT which will make this in the top 3 SW films for most, but haters gonna hate.

To be honest I find some people online opinions so intractable that I doubt they have the emotional fortitude to change course at all. It's become their identity.

Last edited:
I hate online sometimes....hate is probably too harsh of a word..."can't stand" works better. Sometimes I miss the days where we just talked to our friends and relatives about movies, back in the original trilogy days, we didn't nitpick the hell out of things back then, dissect everything to it's smallest nuance and minutia, I guess no internet was more of a bubble around us from most negativity. With any movie, even one with 90 percent good reviews, with the internet you can see that 10 percent, some of which will really ****** on the movie. Even with about 90 percent good reviews for a movie, for every million who saw it, that means 100,000 didn't like it. And some of that 100,000 will be very vocal about it. But i keep coming back online and posting, so I guess it's a double edged sword, and/or I am a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:
I hate online sometimes....hate is probably too harsh of a word..."can't stand" works better. Sometimes I miss the days where we just talked to our friends and relatives about movies, back in the original trilogy days, we didn't nitpick the hell out of things back then, dissect everything to it's smallest nuance and minutia, I guess no internet was more of a bubble around us from most negativity. With any movie, even one with 90 percent good reviews, with the internet you can see that 10 percent, some of which will really ****** on the movie. Even with about 90 percent good reviews for a movie, for every million who saw it, 100,000 didn't like it. And some of that 100,000 will be very vocal about it. But i keep coming back online and posting, so I guess it's a double edged sword, and/or I am a glutton for punishment.

it's not just an internet problem. as a society we are more depressed than ever these days and tend to be on the negative. but 'haters' going to hate' is just a phrase used to denounce any kind of criticism, valid or not.

as for the other ten percent... the more people get online, the more a person who's likely to wind up as 'man from florida' in the news gets to comment on a daily basis. so you're going to see that too..

i do agree that always on social media is a bad thing and leads to more negativity. it needs to be shut off at 8PM every night and then people would be forced to actually interact with each other in the real world ;)

it's not just an internet problem. as a society we are more depressed than ever these days and tend to be on the negative. but 'haters' going to hate' is just a phrase used to denounce any kind of criticism, valid or not.

as for the other ten percent... the more people get online, the more a person who's likely to wind up as 'man from florida' in the news gets to comment on a daily basis. so you're going to see that too..

i do agree that always on social media is a bad thing and leads to more negativity. it needs to be shut off at 8PM every night and then people would be forced to actually interact with each other in the real world ;)

This is astoundingly ironic coming from someone who's sole contribution to this forum is negativity.

Physician, heal thyself.

I hate online sometimes....hate is probably too harsh of a word..."can't stand" works better. Sometimes I miss the days where we just talked to our friends and relatives about movies, back in the original trilogy days, we didn't nitpick the hell out of things back then, dissect everything to it's smallest nuance and minutia, I guess no internet was more of a bubble around us from most negativity. With any movie, even one with 90 percent good reviews, with the internet you can see that 10 percent, some of which will really ****** on the movie. Even with about 90 percent good reviews for a movie, for every million who saw it, that means 100,000 didn't like it. And some of that 100,000 will be very vocal about it. But i keep coming back online and posting, so I guess it's a double edged sword, and/or I am a glutton for punishment.

I remember when "Star Wars talk" was me with my Star Wars magazine on the phone with my friend in the next province discussing an article about what episodes 1 2 and 3 could possibly be about - YEARS before the prequels were even announced.

Just the two of us nerding out.

Now if we had that conversation it would likely be online and someone would jump in and go "Episode 7 Mary Sue beat Kylo trained Jedi memberries" and leave us both irritated.

In fact, a video showed up in my Youtube feed today about how Rogue One will bomb due to Political Correctness.

BWA HA HA.

And yet here I am, moaning about the internet on the internet.

Last edited:
For those that have seen the movie, go back on point: any other insight to the overall movie?
(No smarta$$ "they stole the Death Star plan" level info)
Sure some don't make it to the end. Good ending?
They fire up the DS more than once?

Won't get a chance till after opening weekend to see.

Well I was fortunate enough to be at the premiere, and I must say that the movie is quite good. Much better than TFA and I really like that movie.

The ending is great, not exactly what I was expecting, but much better. there are moments in the movie that are nostalgic (especially some unexpected, but really awesome cameos), sure, but not enough to take one out of the movie in my opinion. And for the record, Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen (along with everybody else) were very good in this movie, their presence in no way distracts from the experience. The war movie feel is very much there, and done extremely well, and there is of course a bit of humor (mostly from K-2SO) that is well placed.
Visual effects are absolutely astounding, Vader is used well and I believe all you Vader purists will be pleasantly surprised by the costume, and the music is decent, not John Williams good, but done well enough that I might buy the soundtrack

Sorry for the vague comments on the movie, but spoilers are not something I like putting up. If anybody wants more details just PM me and I will let ya know
and just to brag a bit, a couple of photos from the premiere :D :lol
15420989_10207837963812064_3948585660183918260_n.jpg
this gentleman was one of the men on the crew that built this X-Wing and the TFA Falcon. He was a pleasure to talk to, even shared some BTS stuff from R1
15439992_10207837961692011_6260758416249872171_n.jpg
and of course K-2SO himself

Cool. Appreciate the reply. Always good to hear the first hand experience. Should brag away after the initial weekend.
The humor part is one thing I keep hearing about. Can see some of that in the clips. K2 is kinda like what R2 could be speaking English.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions, Moreorless37. I'm especially curious to hear what Michael Giacchino came up with in his score... somehow I'm wishing for reprisals of Ep IV's 3-second Death Star cue or the trumpets /horns that stand in for Vader sometimes in IV. Any recollection of these appearing anywhere in the movie?
Going to watch it myself this friday, ordered the score already, fingers crossed that it'll arrive for saturday. Damn, so EXCITED for this movie! :D

Yes, please keep this thread spoiler free. I hate having movies ruined and I don't want to do it for those that are like me.

The embargo lifts in twenty minutes. If you are the kind of person that really really needs spoilers, you may pm me with questions.

Yes, please keep this thread spoiler free. I hate having movies ruined and I don't want to do it for those that are like me.

The embargo lifts in twenty minutes. If you are the kind of person that really really needs spoilers, you may pm me with questions.

Doesn't the review embargo lift tomorrow?

Today, although it's 5 pm eastern, I thought it was 9 am eastern. :)
Doesn't mean reviewers can 'spoil' the movie though. But there are those who just love to know before going in.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back