Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

it seems amazon has pulled the samples. says unavailable. egg on faces?
that bad choice of a remake song on the film clip? they might as well have kept the annoying yodeling the original had on it lol

I think the remake line in the sand is "was the original a beloved classic?" If so, don't bother. Like the Judy Garland Wizard of Oz. It was a remake. But nobody will top it, so leave it alone. Robocop falls in this category. As I mentioned earlier, nobody outside a few slasher fans cared when they remade My Bloody Valentine, right or wrong. But Psycho, Halloween? The critics and public pretty much went berserk. How do you remake a watershed film? And why would you? It's begging for failure and rejection.

Then there are some that are less clear. I love Keaton Batman AND Nolan. There's room in my heart for remakes. Just...not for *********g on the monuments of cinema.

You mean like John Carpenter's The Thing, or virtually all of Frankenstein/Wolfman/Dracula movies?

This... kind of. Again, these movies were based off novels. So if one movie is made, and then another one years later, is the subsequent movie a remake of the original or just another directors vision of how the original story should be seen?

Kind of like Total Recall? Although, with that pile of garbage I have to question whether the people that remade the movie even knew it was originally a short-story.

Same could be said for The Last Man on Earth/ The Omega Man/ I Am Legend...

Robocop, to the best of my knowledge, had no original source material. It was made to be a movie.

But Psycho, Halloween?

Then there are some that are less clear. I love Keaton Batman AND Nolan. There's room in my heart for remakes. Just...not for *********g on the monuments of cinema.

Was the Halloween remake that bad? Was the original that good?
Same goes for Psycho. Never saw the original and really have no interest. I know the story well enough. No interest in the remake either.

This... kind of. Again, these movies were based off novels. So if one movie is made, and then another one years later, is the subsequent movie a remake of the original or just another directors vision of how the original story should be seen?

Kind of like Total Recall? Although, with that pile of garbage I have to question whether the people that remade the movie even knew it was originally a short-story.

Same could be said for The Last Man on Earth/ The Omega Man/ I Am Legend...

Robocop, to the best of my knowledge, had no original source material. It was made to be a movie.

Was the Halloween remake that bad? Was the original that good?
Same goes for Psycho. Never saw the original and really have no interest. I know the story well enough. No interest in the remake either.

Psycho is one of the most beautifully crafted films ever, in my opinion. It's damn close to perfect by any rubric. The original Halloween is a slasher flick milestone. I also enjoyed the remake and its sequel, but for personal reasons--I understand completely why critics and fans disliked them.

I saw the psycho original and remake. It was a shot for shot attempt to copy the original film, just different actors and modern filming. It didn't do it for me. Thats like a painter attempting to copy a Picaso. Its still just a copy and nothing more. Now if they use the same subject matter but arrange it in their own way...thats artistic interpretation, which i can respect. I am fine with remakes, just be artful about it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

what i've never understood is why they never put the exact stories that are in the novels or short stories in the same way for the film.

They always have to mess around with characters, whether its names or something, and sometimes combining characters for no reason eg that Total Recall remake.

Why can't they put the exact short stories onto film exactly the way they were written? Isn't that the whole point of the story, to see it in film format without any changes?

you always get these stupid changes for no apparent reason.

You mean like John Carpenter's The Thing, or virtually all of Frankenstein/Wolfman/Dracula movies?
Carpenter's The Thing is not a remake. Go read the book and tell me which version is based on what.

Frankenstein has yet to see an faithful movie adaptation. The same with Dracula.

Why can't they put the exact short stories onto film exactly the way they were written? Isn't that the whole point of the story, to see it in film format without any changes?you always get these stupid changes for no apparent reason.

I'm guessing part of the problem is there isn't enough story in the source material to flesh out an entire movie... hence SHORT story. Have you read any of the Phillip K Dick short stories.... they almost always kind of cliffhangers. I see most of those stories as great material for shows like The Outer Limits, but to make a full scale film they really need to add more to it.

I'm guessing part of the problem is there isn't enough story in the source material to flesh out an entire movie... hence SHORT story. Have you read any of the Phillip K Dick short stories.... they almost always kind of cliffhangers. I see most of those stories as great material for shows like The Outer Limits, but to make a full scale film they really need to add more to it.

yeah, but that gives them no excuse for changing the character names.

I mean Douglas Quail to Quaid. Why is that needed to be changed?

Because Ah-nuld did not vant to have a girly-man bird-name...

Well, tha character wasn't a hulking rock breaker or worker in a robot manufacturing plant either. He was kind of an office dweeb.

The irony of the actual story for Total Recall is every time they tried to implant a memory, it was something he had already done for real.

It's Fwoosh so you cant' take anything they say all that seriously. Well at least he didn't give it a 100 percent shining review. 3.5 is kinda mediocre.

Having just saw this last night, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the reboot. It's certainly not the classic we know and love. (I bought 3 copies of the DVD - original, director's and criterion!)

What it definitely is NOT is a retelling of the old tale. The best way to enjoy this reboot is to go into the theater with absolutely no expectations whatsoever, and you'd probably enjoy it a lot more.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back