robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

Re: robo3687's Iron Man 2 Pep Files - 27/6 first post rewritten, RIGHT LEG in first p

It´s really insane at what speed you crank out that stuff. Looks like I can only push two or three vertices in the time that you make whole models :lol

... Once it's done this post should be stickied so everyone can find it and we can stop having all these questions regarding Ironman Mark IV &VI pep files. If DancinFool could get his Mark III set done, we could have one stickied post with all the Ironman pep files in it.

There´s already a link to this thread in the Pepakura sticky thread at the top of this forum, and in addition the search function does work wonders from time to time for finding stuff ;)

Re: robo3687's Iron Man 2 Pep Files - 27/6 first post rewritten, RIGHT LEG in first p

hold on one second... how bad is it i'm using clear tape instead of glue?

hold on one second... how bad is it i'm using clear tape instead of glue?
Not horrible. I use scotch tape and it works perfectly for me. Clear tape though.... Is it the plastic stuff? You may have trouble when it comes to resin. PrinceNEO used it once before and when he was resining a piece, the tape peeled and the piece fell apart. Scotch tape is different, it absorbs resin so my helmet came out great. I never use that kind of tape when pepping.

Does it have to be Scotch brand tape or any type of tape like that? I've heard that tape will not work. It'd be a lot easier to use than glue.

I guess what I mean is regular tape that is kinda papery and translucent. Its basically regular tape but I prefer scotch brand cuz it holds up for a pretty long time. I pepped my Ironman helmet with it and even carrying it around outside for hours and everything it was just over a month before I finally got some resin on it and the tape was still holding.

As I build, I rubber cement the pieces together, and then use 1/2 wide yellow masking tape to reinforce the tab previosly glued. This holds everything in place nicely, and helps stiffen, and maintain shape!

I guess what I mean is regular tape that is kinda papery and translucent. Its basically regular tape but I prefer scotch brand cuz it holds up for a pretty long time. I pepped my Ironman helmet with it and even carrying it around outside for hours and everything it was just over a month before I finally got some resin on it and the tape was still holding.

im using the dollar store clear tape - the package says "transparent tape - glossy finish" it'll still work right? *gulp*:unsure

yes you can use good old scotch tape, just not with fiberglass resin.

I personally stick to dollar store "tube art glue" not the white stuff but the clear, it's never failed when resin'ed and it CHEEP, but gives you about 20sec to fix alignments

yes you can use good old scotch tape, just not with fiberglass resin.
What do you mean "not with fiberglass resin? Thats how I did my helmet and it worked perfectly fine! IDK what happened when you used it, but it works great for me

why will not you use a bonder glue(cyanoacrylate)?
do not know if this sentence is right, I used the google translator.

cyanoacrylate is more commonly called super glue. I use the gel superglue from the dollar tree. its 3 small tubes in a bag for a dollar. pretty cheap and goes a long way. very short set time yet rather hard to adjust if you get it set up wrong.

btw the sentence was close enough. grammatically its "you not" but that hardly matters unless your writing some formal paper. After listening to Yoda in starwars, anyone can figure out an english sentence's meaning if the words are shifted. :p

Last edited:

i understand english(games) but its hard to create sentence XD

robo, I've been looking into that and compression articulation seems to be what we're looking for. Here's an overview of it:
Armour by Carmel Emanuel Abela
We don't necessarily have to use metal; I think we'd be just fine with a light plastic like from a trash can.

that's how I'm doing the knees, elbows and neck, but I'm using an ABS sheeting from Fastenal. I will ave this posted up in my build blog when I get this going.

that's how I'm doing the knees, elbows and neck, but I'm using an ABS sheeting from Fastenal. I will ave this posted up in my build blog when I get this going.

yeah i think the knees and elbows are something best left to the individual as its something i don't really know how to make a template for...lol....

As I build, I rubber cement the pieces together, and then use 1/2 wide yellow masking tape to reinforce the tab previosly glued. This holds everything in place nicely, and helps stiffen, and maintain shape!

oh good so i'm not the only one who uses masking tape to reinforce my peps.....i cover the entire reverse side in masking tape....lol...

yeah i think the knees and elbows are something best left to the individual as its something i don't really know how to make a template for...lol....
even the kneecap area is going to be a challenge for each individual too. So eventhough we are all building from the same file, each individual execution/ideas will be interesting.

if one needs a less technically demanding solution to the elbow and kneecap problems, i suggest this:

using spandex or underarmor(the offbrand cheapo ones work fine), use fabric markers or some type of fabric paint in silver red or gold (depending on the joint's actual color in movie), cover the exposed area with paint such that when the armor is on, one's elbows are solidly red/gold/silver. use a pencil to lightly draw out the lines that need to represent the sectioning of the joint. now, take an airbrush, blowpen, or a piece of cardstock and hold it on the line, viewing from what would be below the line. spraythe surface of the object you chose to use with a lightly black to gray color, moving farther and farther down until a sufficient shadow is produced with a solid coloring at the line and a fadeout moving away from the line. repeat for all lines and allow to dry. Wala! real looking fake joints! you can even add dots of paint for rivets.

yeh i think a painted undersuit would be the easiest option.....

on a little side note.....is there anywhere people have used 3d modeling and pepakura designer to make clothes patterns?....because I'm trying it....and i think its going to work.....and i want to know if i'm breaking new grounds here or not....lol...

That would be AWESOME if you figured out how to make clothing patterns with pepakura!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back