Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

A few hi-res shots for reference - not a lot of new angles overall but some detail on the staff for sure. They're much larger than they open in the pop-up - right click them to "open image in new tab/window" or download them to see them full-size. Apologies if these have been posted at this resolution before:

View attachment starwars55df5d9452181-1.jpg

View attachment starwars55df5d9116613.jpg

starwars563a8d278acf1.jpg

First, I just wanted to say hello (I've been stalking this page for about six months now) and THANK YOU (TheLadyNerd's and TheLadyLexy's posts have been especially helpful for me).

I've got most of my fabrics and leathers in and am setting to work in earnest now that Halloween is over. Few thoughts/questions:

arm wraps - Are people wrapping them every time, or are you making sleeves that can just be pulled on (with maybe some elastic at the ends)?

wrap dress- it seems like the wrap dress in gathered a bit by a thread on each shoulder. Has anyone experimented with that? (Or have a better understanding of what I'm seeing?)

mask - I'm trying to gather the mask parts; still absolutely stuck on the clips. (I've been searching so long that the husband offered to buy a 3D printer so we could just print them and be done with it.) A long time ago, someone suggested they look simuilar to ski/dirtbike boot clips (and they do). I've also searched brace clip and dummy clips and they even look like the back sides of some bronze suspender clips, but I have yet to find a match. Has anyone else made any progress?

The wrap appears to be gathered and possibly attached to the shirt keeping it in place.

For the head piece I made one out of sheet plastic and brass tubing.

The wrap appears to be gathered and possibly attached to the shirt keeping it in place.

That idea was just thrown to me today - I'm sure it's been brought up before, but the wraps being attached to something supports the idea that there are actually two layered shirts. Didn't want to believe it until I started dissecting the trailer and found these two:
whatisthisshit.jpgwhatisthisshit2.jpg

One shows her left side, where it's distinctly two layers. Her right side? Not definitive, but at least you can see the sleeve's seam. Anyone got thoughts/input? Or am I just going crazy?

I don't think it's two layered shirts. i think the "sleeve caps" were added onto the henley undershirt. They have been shown to have two distinctly different patterns to each of them (the cap sleeves) suggesting they were made from scraps of other bits of costume material and added onto a sleeveless henley. Here is a hi res pic of Rey and you can see that one cap sleeve has a ridged pattern to it, while the other does not. One is also clearly of a different material than the henley top... I believe the one may have been made of scraps of the wrap dress and the other appears to be the same material as the henley but clearly sewn on after the fact. It also appears that her left side seam of the henley is hand sewn too... not sure why. perhaps for more character.

Inner tunic.jpg

Last edited:
A couple notes after figuring out a few things with some film union costume buddies of mine.

1) The arm wraps are almost definitely distressed Ace bandages. We went through a ton of different guaze and cotton bubble fabrics, but none were quite right. Thanks to hi-res photos we were able to see the grain more closely on the arm wraps as well as attachment points. It definitely appears to be Ace bandages (or something extremely close to them). I hope to be doing a test run soon when I have a day off (been working like crazy lately. Yay film life!).

2) Good catch on the sleeve top differences. Though it doesn't appear to be two separate shirts as far as we can tell in the photos (with the exception of the one WinsomeWasp just posted. That's....odd). It looks to be one shirt with two different cap sleeves for some reason. One sleeve appears to be a fairly normal cap sleeves while the other, being the same fabric, is oddly a lettuce hem.

As discussed a few pages back, the left sleeve is ribbed.
Each rib is actually 2 ribs like this _M_M_M_
The right sleeve is plain and there is a repair on the main shirt.

The entire thing is made to look like it's been made from assorted scraps and repaired.
The back while looking like it's also jersey at times looks like it has a striped pattern to it at least on the sides and almost looks like it is wearing through (semi transparent)

mask - I'm trying to gather the mask parts; still absolutely stuck on the clips. (I've been searching so long that the husband offered to buy a 3D printer so we could just print them and be done with it.) A long time ago, someone suggested they look simuilar to ski/dirtbike boot clips (and they do). I've also searched brace clip and dummy clips and they even look like the back sides of some bronze suspender clips, but I have yet to find a match. Has anyone else made any progress?

I have seen this "clip question" brought up a few times now, and I remain stumped as to what is being talked about. What "clips" are people asking about on the goggles? I can't seem to work out what is being referred to. Here is a good shot of the goggles:

image.jpg

The only thing that I can see which might be a candidate are the darkish brown bits on the top and bottom of the triangle shaped wire thingies on either side of the lenses.. but those aren't plastic at all.. they are leather straps sewn onto the googles and the wire triangles pass through them.

So what are these "clips" that people are asking about then? Am I blind?

They are actually plastic. (probably resin like everything else)
Curved on the back, solid side walls. 1/8" at the front, 1/4" at the back
They have a hole through them that the 1/8" dia grey shock cord goes through.

I found a better pic and now I see what you're saying... it appears that they are solid pieces after all. Funny what we see... this whole time I thought they were stitched leather loops.

Hmmmm....range finder.jpg

They seem to be sort of wedge shaped. I dunno... maybe something off a dive mask perhaps?

also now looking closer than I've ever looked before, it appears that the "triangles" are shock cord or something like rather than the wire that I'd thought they were.

Curiouser and Curiouser....

Well duh on me... you just mentioned shock cord above and I totally missed that and then wrote about it right after. Sometimes I'm oblivious :p

Anything is possible.
At this point I made one from scratch and will be molding it up when my silicon arrives.

If you find the correct on please post it. :thumbsup

Has anyone attempted to 3d print the staff or been successful at finding plans? We ended up making one with the faucets/pvc/handles recommended earlier in this thread and it's great, but I have a feeling if I pursue the rebel legion I'd want something more sturdy.

I read also in one of the rebel legion forums that she does in fact have 2 shirts, that it's not just what I imagined as caps and that yes, the wrap is somehow attached.

I dressed up 3 times over Halloween and one of the things I want to do first to improve is to make sleeves out of the wraps... It'll get costly over time to keep replacing and weathering them to look just right. The most successful look I had was with co-band type material and rubbing dirt on them. The other issue I had was keeping my legs wraps up. I again saw on the rebel legion and nice zoom in of the back of the pants that had almost 2 loops where they would originate from, but there are shots without them so they're not part of the pants themselves.
12193839_10100868872215244_4344933416425852282_n.jpg

Improvements:
Staff: the sling and attachments -I just used leftover fabric from my pants in a rush. I bought proper clips and leather today to fix it.
Boots: ordered and on the way from Po-Zu
Cuff: again, I bought more leather remnants at Hobby Lobby today and I think I got a good piece to make a cuff from
Gloves: will be working towards
Wrap: this one felt a bit too bulky, however I haven't washed it yet, and I feel like it's still a bit too dark/tan and need to pleat it.
arm wraps: see above, I also had these ones WAY too tight and had bruises afterwards
shirt: needs some love. I panicked and found one in my closet that worked in a pinch.

Thanks for all the work everyone else did in making this so easy for me to slap together, got tons of comments. I think the hardest part in the end, was my hair :D

Rebel legion threads that I referenced:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65760&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (this one referenced the two shirts)
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69438 (this one had the nice close up of the pants legs and the wraps)

We covered the whole 2 shirt thing but all the good close up photos coming out now show it as 1.
The photo Kristen posted in post #686 clearly shows the right sleeve sewn on top of the shirt shoulder.

I have seen in a post on the Rebel Legion that the clip looking things on the goggles are from Wiper Blades from a car. I'm not sure exactly which ones as that wasn't stated, and I haven't had the time to dig up images to see if I can find the right one. But it is a possibility.

I am really happy with the pattern posted here for the bracelet. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it.
I went to a local leather store here and found a few amazing left over pieces which I can use for the belt, backpack and the bracelet.

Today I found the courage to cut the leather bracelet.

It is still a bit stiff, the leather was very dry. I am now using some stuff I also use for my leather couch to make it less stiff (I am sure there is a proper English word for that :p )

After I took this photo I cut the sides a bit to make it a bit smaller, but overall I am happy how it turned out :D

Okay *potential spoilers!!* please don't keep reading as I don't know the validity of this if you aren't theorizing.

Has anyone else seen this Duracell commercial? http://youtu.be/YBh0hgP8wWk

So...the girl is clearly dressed as Rey, and then she uses the force and a lightsaber. Is anyone else intrigued by this? My friend said perhaps Duracell just did what they wanted, but there is no way Disney would give them approval to air this without seeing it first. We know she has a blaster and the staff...do we think she has a lightsaber? Just curious about future costume mods here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back