Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Some good news for me....

I submitted my Rey Full Scavenger for Rebel Legion approval, and was accepted at the "Formal" level:
12814638_1016699551733565_8837495152819148920_n.png

The only suggestion that they gave (and it wasn't a requirement for acceptance... only a suggestion) was that they felt my belt was too wide.

I had been thinking this anyway before they mentioned it, so no problem... time to make another...
12791130_10208337629854695_766369908130286947_n.jpg
1930450_10208340786453608_7122535060173970419_n.jpg
12191852_10208344260060446_3761340896706146486_n.jpg
12832576_10208344260700462_4231787652959937174_n.jpg
12803024_10208344260420455_102692037721155203_n.jpg

Here's the final comparison. The top belt is the old one, and the bottom my new improved version:

12842638_10208344672750763_2018475109_o.jpg

On the old belt, the "small" belt was 1-3/4" wide, and the "large" belt was 2-1/4" wide, for a total of 4". I had felt that because I am not an Elven Wisp like Daisey Ridley that I would need a wider belt in order for it to not look out of scale on my body. However, I had always thought after that it turned out too wide, and anyway I had lost some weight and it was then too large for me.

So for Version Two I reduced the upper belt to 1-1/4" wide, and the bottom belt to 1-3/4" wide, for a total of 3". I also reduced the length of both belts slightly, so now it fits better.

I just need to do some dark weathering on the edges of the belt, and then it's done!

those pieces are looking good!

Did you use the Dharma fabric for the headwrap?

....and is that the amazon messenger bag for the backpack or something else?

Thanks! It is the dharma fabric! It was also my first time having to put sleeves on a shirt, so it was a little tricky. But it was great practice since it didn't have to be perfect

It actually isn't the messenger bag. I had already ordered a shoulder piece of leather when kristen posted about finding the bag. So my bag ended up being completely hand dyed and made. Which is one reason I couldn't get the stitching accurate. The leather was too thick to go through my sewing machine or to use a smaller thread. It was also my first time actually working with leather. So it's a little sloppy

Last edited:
Pics and info on them are at:
Rey costume pants

Im guessing its your blogg, you write :
I determined that the tea did not result in a dark enough shade and tried coffee instead. I ended up using 12 tablespoons of dark roast coffee with approximately 2 quarts of water, prepared in a french press, added the shirt and let it sit on the stove over low heat for an hour. I then rinsed it in cold water with vinegar and let it air dry."

Why the use of Vinegar with the water?

Amazing job Kristen and congrats on the approval from Rebel Legion,

I am very glad that you brought up the belt (which looks amazing). I was going to purchase the belt off Etsy but I'd rather make it myself. Now with the help of your pics, I might just make it myself. Saves $107

Seriously! I bought a half hide at Tandy for 50.00 (on sale) which is only 10.00 more than a belt blank, and now I have loads left over to do what i like with.

Even if you just buy a 3" belt blank, you still are only into it for 40.00. Buy a bottle of dye, some waxed twine and a couple of rectangle rings while you're there and you'll have everything you need!

If you need more pics or advice, don't hesitate to ask. :)

great job on your RL approval!

Seriously! I bought a half hide at Tandy for 50.00 (on sale) which is only 10.00 more than a belt blank, and now I have loads left over to do what i like with.
so you had to dye the 1/2 hide?... what color dye? I might go over there tomorrow. We ordered the dharma head wrap fabric today, can't have goggles with no head wrap.

great job on your RL approval!

so you had to dye the 1/2 hide?... what color dye? I might go over there tomorrow. We ordered the dharma head wrap fabric today, can't have goggles with no head wrap.

No no... I cut the belt out of the half hide first and just dyed that. I left the rest of the hide alone... i'll use it for something eventually LOL.

I'll look when I get home and see the colour I bought, and I'll post back.

- - - Updated - - -

I also tried darkening the bare hide with neats foot oil (the guy at Tandy thought it would be dark enough) but it wasn't.. so I just put the dye over the oil once it had dried. :thumbsup

Has everyone been using the dimensions for the bag previously used in this thread? after I made my pattern using those dimensions, it just doesn't seem proportionate to her actual bag. Pictures of her in the movie look different than those used on display at events. I've been playing with sizes, but it's hard because it seems like the more pictures I find of the bag, the more it looks different in each pictures (Like her clothing color! Ugh! that's a whole other nightmare). Bags that I've seen made with those dimensions don't quite seem right to me. :/ Maybe I'm over analyzing it?

Has everyone been using the dimensions for the bag previously used in this thread? after I made my pattern using those dimensions, it just doesn't seem proportionate to her actual bag. Pictures of her in the movie look different than those used on display at events. I've been playing with sizes, but it's hard because it seems like the more pictures I find of the bag, the more it looks different in each pictures (Like her clothing color! Ugh! that's a whole other nightmare). Bags that I've seen made with those dimensions don't quite seem right to me. :/ Maybe I'm over analyzing it?

12718327_10208266139787488_6781780267852780170_n.jpg
17242901825_8c65132268_o.jpg

Thx for the leather info guys. I got a half shoulder that has a part over 50 inches long for the belt. Looks like plenty to do a holster too.

They were out of bison color, so i went with the dark brown antique gel instead.

.....what was the posted size for the backpack? 11x15?

Part of it may be that some of the outfits on display were not production used, but replicas created specifically for exhibits/promotional work. And then there's Hero suits and Stunt suits, which may be constructed of different dimensions/materials as well (for example, the outfit on display at Celebration was NOT the same outfit that was on display at D23). Finally, a lot of the displays we've seen at smaller events and exhibits aren't even real outfits, but hard resin/foam statuettes cast so that Disney could do a bunch of "Force Awakens" promotional displays all over the place.

All of these factors could attribute to the discrepancy you're describing.

In later news, the Rey kit is coming along nicely :) Flashlight and "chain cannister" are complete. Probably will do the bungee holders for the goggles next~

nFknSTz.jpg

Those bags look great! I'm sorry I should have specified. I was talking about her little hip bag. I did some more playing with my patterns and I think I got it. I really just need to pick a picture to go by and go with it because otherwise it's going to drive me crazy! lol
If anyone is interested in making their own bag, I found the PERFECT canvas fabric at Hobby Lobby. It's $10 a yard and you can use the 40% off coupon on it. They also have the hardware for the bag as well. Hope this helps someone!

ad705ae595f04b9305b93ce8397f7d17.jpgI feel like with this picture in particular really threw me off with her bag... it almost looks green, and it looks wider instead of taller? thoughts?

Thx for the leather info guys. I got a half shoulder that has a part over 50 inches long for the belt. Looks like plenty to do a holster too.

They were out of bison color, so i went with the dark brown antique gel instead.

.....what was the posted size for the backpack? 11x15?

11 x 14 was what Divison6 posted. I used his overall dimensions for my build, though I squeezed another inch or two in height out by making my flap stand up higher and extending the sides to cover it, so i think mine is like 11x16.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back