Red Hood Build

Well, after calming down and taking my time with the second pull, everything seems to have worked out. It is a learning process after all. Still have some slight dimpling from the registration keys, but I think I can fix that for the next few pulls. This pull involves about 30 oz of Smooth-Cast 65D (formerly Roto-Cast) Overall, we're about 1/4" thick all the way around. It's rough trimmed and the eyes are not even trimmed straight, but at least it fits the model's head. That', I'm very happy about. He seems to be pleased also. So, I'll pull a few more to work out the kinks and start the finishing process (sanding, bondo, sanding, painting, padding and lenses).

Jesse

Man, I'd kill for a pull now. T.T

Looking good, you're doing a great job, I just hope I can't find the same material and hopefully my girlfriend can sculpt this cause I suck at sculpting. >.>

Only suggestion I have is bringing down more of the back to cover up to the back of the neck.

Going to try another pull today with some shortened registration keys. I may also try and pull this one in black. This will keep me from having to pain out the inside as the resin will already be colored. Should be fun. Let's see what happens. :)

Mirror lenses purchased for the final pull and I'm deciding on the paint to use for the overall color. Anyone got a suggestion as to the color "red" to use. I'm wanting to use a dark red, but not so dark as to call it maroon. Ideas? I think it needs to be a satin finish and not gloss. Thoughts? The black accents will be flat.

Jesse

Ok. I'm going to take the model with me to pick out the paint. I'll probably do a redder color now that the suggestions are leaning that way. It's my helmet, I'll paint it red if I want to! :lol

Brown

Second pull had some curing issues due to a dye mishap I think. Next pull will better and I've solved the key issues (as best as possible at least).

Jesse

This is an awesome build. I got to admit I wanted to do one myself but I just don't have the experience yet to tackle a mask. D:

Just to prove that I'm working on this. I'm using Bondo on the first and third pull and doing a paint test on the second "crappy" pull. I've chosen Cherry Red as a the color. The picture doesn't do it justice. The color is very nice in reality. Snapped these with my phone, so I apologize for the grainy quality.

Jesse

I'll be putting in some reflective silver lenses. The goal was to give the effect of the comic/maquet by allowing the silver lens to flash white when a picture was taken. Will it work........we'll see. I despise mesh in a helmet. It makes it look cheap to me (unless its a Predator). Leaving them open was thought about, but we couldn't get the white eye effect that way unless the model wore contacts and then, it would have just probably looked freaky. So, we opted for lenses. They'll go in last. I'll try to get a picture of them temporarily in place. Thanks for the compliments. Now, back to Bondo!

Jesse

Perhaps........we'll see. If I did plan to sell a couple.......what do y'all think might be a fare price? Just curious. I wouldn't want to commit to sell and then be overpricing or under pricing them.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back