Red Hood Build

Great looking sculpt. Almost could be modified into Deadpool.
Thanks for all the info too, I'm going to try sculpting something soon and this thread is a great help.

Your welcome. Yes, this helmet version is VERY similar to Deadpool. I noticed that immediately and even commented on it to my buddy, whose going to be wearing this at DragonCon. There's even a bit of Iron Man in it too. I think some of the folks have taken the Iron Man pepakura patterns and are converting it. Anyway, good luck with your project and, as I've learned, just dive in! Learn from your mistakes as they will probably flow like water!!! I know mine did, but you learn from them.

ar eyou just scultping round one of those cheap polystyrene mannequin heads? I must say this is coming along beautifully, yeah it does have resemblances to ironman and deadpool, but thats because they are awesome. great work, really looking forward to seeing hte end product.

I'm sculpting around one of the $9.00 heads from Hobby Lobby. That's it. I did use a base mask as the form to base this mask off of, but in reality, it really looks nothing like the base mask. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't use it and just go from scratch. To be honest though, there is a base (hockey style) mask under there, but it really has nothing to do with the look anymore. Thanks for the kind words though. More updates coming tonight..........I've got most of the mother mold on it now and need to add a few more coats to the back. Itching for a pull perhaps tomorrow.........we'll see

So, here's a few pictures of where we stand.

Picture 1: The mold is prepped for mother molding by cleaning it up with some alcohol, leveling the bottom and gluing to a non-reactive surface.

Picture 2: A clay wall (WED clay) is added to make a partition for the PlastiPaste mother mold. At this point, the half to be molded first is waxed for easy release. The base is also waxed for a flange.

Picture 3: The side view of the wall. The supports are behind the all and you can also see registration keys in the clay for proper mother mold alignment.

Picture 4: The first coat of PlastiPaste is applied. This stuff heats up as it begins to kick, so it gets a little warm to the touch. Sharp edges are a problem as this stuff dries. To cure that, take a paint brush with some 91% or 99% alcohol and go to town. It smooths it down nicely and makes the next coat easier to apply and its also easier on your hands.......no slicing and dicing.

Picture 5. Progressive coats of PlastiPaste are added until we build up to 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

Picture 6: Once sufficient thickness is attained and you've waited the appropriate cure time (90 minutes), you can remove the clay wall and inspect your work. I cleaned the back half and applied a liberal coating of wax and Man 200 mold release (extra step for good measure) and went to town again. I did put in four "pry points" of clay in case I need to coax this open when it cures.

Picture 7: The front half of the mold complete. I'm working on the back half now (3 coats in as I type).

Picture 8: The latex mask I'm preparing for the model to wear under the helmet. This will be trimmed down a specific design of Robin mask. This is 15 layers of black liquid latex. The grey color is from the powder used to render it not sticking to itself during remove from the form.

Picture 9: The mask off the form and ready for trimming and final cutting.

There, I hope you enjoyed the post. I hope to be able to do a first "test" pull tomorrow morning, barring complication............fingers crossed and praying to any local deity!!!

Jesse

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to see this pull. best wishes go with you for the morning ;). please post pictures when you can... we are all waiting to see this come out perfectly.

It is often said success is measured in many ways..........I measure it by the clean pull of a nice master sculpt. Short of a bit of coaxing this morning with a silicone spatula, this one popped right out! Clean lines, clean pull and no tears. I can't complain. Next......let's cast this thing!

Jesse

Well, you've been waiting with baited breath, and her you go.

These are the first pull test shots. There are some issues with keys not pressing in all the way, so we got lumps........like grandma's gravy. These are not the mold's fault........but the novice mold maker! (me).

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the first pull. Let's hope it fits the model's head! :lol

Man, that came out perfectly... Congrats!! I also cant wait to see this painted up. Please feel free to let me know if you decide to sell one or two of those... i would love one for my red hood collection im trying to start ;). Again, great work!

29" from the tip of the nose to around the back of the head. It's not the internal diameter I'm worried about, its the opening at the bottom to get your head through. That's all.

Working a second one now.

Jesse

I LOVE seeing stuff from animated series coming to life. And this looks AWESOME I can't wait till you bring some "Motorcycle Fetish" into it :p

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back