Rapunzel (and Flynn)...the everlasting WIP. ( re-making bodice! )

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP! :: Pic heavy 1st post!

My 14 year old daughter loves Tangled and while home sick from school she looked over my shoulder while I started reading this thread and has about beaten my shoulder black and blue with jealousy. You work looks amazing.

Thanks, all. <3

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOMORROW IS THE DAY I GET MY DSLR!!!

Which means ACTUAL, GOOD PHOTOS OF THIS COSTUME!

After I:

• Pouf up dem bangs!
  • cover the hairnet at the nape of the neck
  • add a sweetheart neckline
  • shorten the puff sleeves
  • add new pink sleeves
  • embroider new pink sleeves
  • take out zipper in back
  • add buttons to the top back
  • add snaps on side of front panel
  • re-do lace on bottom of bodice
  • add extra skirt panel
  • replace waistband on skirt
  • finish embroidering the hem
  • finish embroidering designs…
......... I almost feel like I should just remake the whole thing. :lol

BUT in other exciting news, I also got 2 real, floating, paper lanterns! And I live near a park with a giant pond... so all I need is a boat and someone to work my camera on shore and we can light those babies up for an amazing photoshoot! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Thanks, all. <3

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOMORROW IS THE DAY I GET MY DSLR!!!

Which means ACTUAL, GOOD PHOTOS OF THIS COSTUME!

After I:

• Pouf up dem bangs!
  • cover the hairnet at the nape of the neck
  • add a sweetheart neckline
  • shorten the puff sleeves
  • add new pink sleeves
  • embroider new pink sleeves
  • take out zipper in back
  • add buttons to the top back
  • add snaps on side of front panel
  • re-do lace on bottom of bodice
  • add extra skirt panel
  • replace waistband on skirt
  • finish embroidering the hem
  • finish embroidering designs…
......... I almost feel like I should just remake the whole thing. :lol

BUT in other exciting news, I also got 2 real, floating, paper lanterns! And I live near a park with a giant pond... so all I need is a boat and someone to work my camera on shore and we can light those babies up for an amazing photoshoot! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I look forward to seeing those photos. And I won't let my daughter know so she won't beat me up anymore, until AFTER you post them.

I cannot WAIT for this photoshoot! It's going to look so good!

One question though; why are you taking out the zipper in the back of your corset? Won't that make it too difficult to take on and off?

I cannot WAIT for this photoshoot! It's going to look so good!

One question though; why are you taking out the zipper in the back of your corset? Won't that make it too difficult to take on and off?

Did you ask me this on tumblr?! Someone else asked the exact same thing! Haha!

I'm taking out the zipper and closing up the back because since the fabric was custom printed and then dyed on top of that, there's basically no zipper in existence that matches the colour. Right now I have a lavender zipper in lilac fabric...or vice versa...either way, they're two TOTALLY different shades, and it was the closest I could get. @_@ I want to eventually make the park wig which is over the shoulder and the short hair wig, so the back has to look neat!

I'm putting snaps along the side of the front center panel so I can unlace the bodice and open or close it and re-lace it. It will definitely be a pain and more time consuming to wear, but more accurate. I realize she's supposed to have a whole other blouse under her bodice ( sort of... not really 'cause if you watch carefully, the sleeves move with the bodice as if they're attached to it and NOT a blouse underneath ) but I want to have everything as one piece so that it's always lined up. :)

Haha yeah that was me! :p

That really makes a lot of sense if you're doing the parks wig. I'm worried about what I'm going to do for mine if I ever do short-haired rapunzel, but did you sew in an invisible dress zipper and it still bothered you? I feel like I might be okay if I sewed an invisible zipper and just took the zipper pull off the end of the zipper so that I needed the assistance of a safety pin to hook through the loop of the end of the zipper where the tab should be to get out of the dress. I had a pair of vinyl hotpants (don't ask, they were for a party) where a dangling zipper tab in front of my crotch was too distracting so I just pulled the tab off and hooked a safety pin through as a temporary tab to get out of them. But of course what bothers you might not bother me and vice versa :D

(Holy run-on sentence, batman!)

I completely get what you mean with the whole "blouse underneath" dilemma. My sleeves are going to be sewed onto the corset bodice; they always seemed attached to me. Are you going to have to replace the fabric of your "underblouse" visible at the front with a stronger fabric, so that snaps to secure it don't stretch it in funny ways?

I finally started my build thread. Prepare for hilarity; caulk is already defeating me.

I seriously cannot wait to see the results of this photo shoot! :love

Such a great costume, you can see the love and hours you've put in, very well done!

What Frosty said! I just finally watched that movie a week ago and it was great! You guys look spot on and the hard work you have put in really shows!

oh man this is AWESOME. I'm wanting to do a Rapunzel costume so thanks for posting so many WIP shots. I love the custom printed fabric, it's fabulous.

Iz, .... ok. Let's be honest here. I'm really lazy and didn't hand sew my zipper in or change my machine foot so the closest I could get to making it invisible was still like ____ that much showing. >_> Also, I honestly wing it most of the time when I make things so I probably just don't know how to do it right.

As for replacing the front panel, I think it will be okay. :) I'll just measure the space i need to have it laced up and sew the snaps accordingly so that there isn't pulling or rippling. I actually may throw some interfacing in there just in case.

I also just really want a parks wig for a big Disney Princess dressup meetup at WDW in October. I would NOT be able to sit on any of the rides with that giant pillow down my back. Haha!! I can swing it over my shoulder, but not comfortably enough to ride rides like that. Plus, it's just super pretty!

oh man this is AWESOME. I'm wanting to do a Rapunzel costume so thanks for posting so many WIP shots. I love the custom printed fabric, it's fabulous.

Thank you! And I love sharing the progress of what I make! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

What Frosty said! I just finally watched that movie a week ago and it was great! You guys look spot on and the hard work you have put in really shows!

Thanks!!! I don't think I've ever put this much love into a costume ( though I think I might say that every time I make something... ). But really, LOVE this movie and the characters!

Such a great costume, you can see the love and hours you've put in, very well done!

Thank you, I pretty much poured my soul into it. :| I felt so defeated when I started assembling the bodice and noticed one of the panels was a different shade of purple 'cause I dyed the fabric incorrectly. I never want to go through that again!!!!

I seriously cannot wait to see the results of this photo shoot!

Me neither!!!! I'm so tempted to just go outside and fly the lanterns pretty much every single night... but it'll be worth the wait, I'm sure!

In actual costume updates, I ( think ) FINALLY found a fabric that I want to use for the sleeves. One more hurdle overcome! Now if I can just get up the motivation to finish the embroidery......... such a daunting task. :S

Hey Aelynn!

PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS :behave
How did your photoshoot go!

I also had a question about your piping - I can't get anything in the right size so I'm making my own out of bias tape :3 which is really annoying to colour match to my bodice ties, and it won't be shiny. Did you make your own piping, or buy it online?

Hi,
I love your costumes!!! And you did an amazing job with the wig!! Would you be able to share what colors are your fabric? And where did you get them? What colors did you order from spoonflower? I am trying to find just the satin but can't seem to match yours! Thanks!

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP for Halloween!

Thank you hooper! I sure hope so!!

On the agenda for tomorrow: dye bodice material ( it really is just TOO pink in person ) and sleeve/undershirt material, assemble bodice and hopefully sleeves and finish wig. In otherwords: most of the upper half.

But my goals have been getting trampled by me staying up late doing nothing and sleeping in 'til 2pm... >_> We'll see how far I actually get.

In other news! I've purchased some beautiful circle lenses since my eyes seem to photograph so puny. I got these ones, bottom half, in the green. They should look amazing since the centers are golden hazel and my eyes are ... well... golden hazel. And then they'll have that amazing green like Rapunzel's AND look super beautiful and big! Exciting!!

Also ordered new skirt material that's on it's way. Did I mention that? I can't remember. It's a duchess satin to it's much more tame in it's shine. And is a BEAUTIFUL colour. Yeah, I do have issues deciding on materials... but I NEED this costume to be almost perfect. It's that important to me!

purple.jpg

Much more elegant...much less tacky.

And that's it for this evening...more tomorrow!

This is such a pretty purple!! What is this color? I am going mad trying to find it online!!! Please help! Thank you!!!

Iz, it's winter in Canada and we have about 4 inches of snow and my costume isn't completed yet so... no photoshoot until at LEAST springtime. LOL And I bought my piping at the local fabric store. :)

smilegeek, thanks! Anything printed from spoonflower were patterns from images i made in photoshop...that includes colour. Anything printed is just on white. The satin for the plain part of the skirt I bought off ebay way back in the summertime. =\ Sorry!

Oh hahaha whoops! I keep forgetting it's not midsummer for the rest of the world right now! :p I've had to have fans on me the entire time while working on my costume... we had a couple of 38 degree days last week. Blergh.

I don't know what it is, but it's like nobody here sells satin piping anymore - and I swear I saw it all over our Spotlight stores (like the Australian Jo-Ann's) when I was a kid. I had to make my own out of bias binding and it wasn't shiny. I've had to tone down a few of my colours though because I'm planning on being able to wear the corset as a top separately from some of the other pieces like the puff sleeves, so the fact that it's matte kind of works in my favour :)

Aelynn, can you possibly check out my thread in a half hour or so? I'm putting up heaps more progress shots and I have a bit of a dilemma in figuring out how to sew the back panel (with the buttons, at her neck) in and still have my raw edges flip inside nicely when I sew the lining to the front :3

Aelynn, you have been so incredibly helpful. Your thread helped me a lot when I made my first Rapunzel costume, but here I am again, getting ready to make my second dress and wig. This time, I'm going to have about 15 feet of glowing hair! I'm very excited.

I've actually been stalking you for quite some time on Tumblr under various accounts (I have too many...) and you've answered quite a number of my questions. You've been so sweet and your advice has helped a lot. I can't wait to show my own progress to you all.

Aelynn and Izzie my youngest daughter asked if you planned on making Rapunzels second dress the one she wears at the end of the movie when she is interacting with the children and Eugene. She won't stop pestering me until I ask you both. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back