QMx Enterprise Refit Artisan Replica

I have this feeling that they actually haven't secured licensing for the ships yet. Let's all be honest. When they were selling the TMP 1701 & new 1701 on ebay for 5k they had no buyers for over a year. So I find it hard to believe that for 7k their "production demand" is too high for new orders. I also find it hard to believe that paramount would grant licensing for a built up kit that Round2 owns the licensing for.

I have this feeling that they actually haven't secured licensing for the ships yet. Let's all be honest. When they were selling the TMP 1701 & new 1701 on ebay for 5k they had no buyers for over a year. So I find it hard to believe that for 7k their "production demand" is too high for new orders. I also find it hard to believe that paramount would grant licensing for a built up kit that Round2 owns the licensing for.

nope. The have a license. As for wether or not its a recast of the PL kit is still questionable.

On the mega thread they admitted it was resin but didn't seem to answer if it was a PL recast or not. I have to admit though that I also find it strange that no one seems to own one. Maybe the foreign market bought them? At any rate for close to $7k I'd expect it to be much better then the studio model and come with shipping insurance and a full warranty.

For $7k this blows my mind: "All orders include mandatory insurance already factored into the shipping charge. QMx is not responsible for any tariffs or import fees levied on international shipments. We highly recommend our international customers factor in any local customs fees that might be applied at the product's destination.

A restocking fee of 20 percent may be deducted from the refund of a QMx Artisan product that is returned and has not incurred material damage and is not missing components included in the original shipment. Note that shipping costs may not be refunded.

For a product that has been damaged after delivery, you may be charged an additional restocking fee of either 25 percent or 50 percent of the original purchase price based on the severity of the damage."

Apple covered ALL the costs when my Pro was dropkicked by FedEx and the replacement passed the returned one in the mail. Makes me wonder if they'll still charge you a "fee" if you refuse to except based on the condition of the shipping container.

As for the eBay ones, I think moffeaton might be able to cover that based on his comments on the mega thread. I's not the best at math but isn't 20% of $6,995 $1,399? And if they are in "high demand" then why are the prototype photos still being used? From the kits I've built from R2 and Revell, their photos don't look like prototypes, they look like a professional build or close to one.

I'm really not trying to bash them and I'm not really qualified to since I haven't seen ANY of their stuff in person. I'm just saying what I myself have noticed and read about.

Last edited:
On the mega thread they admitted it was resin but didn't seem to answer if it was a PL recast or not. I have to admit though that I also find it strange that no one seems to own one. Maybe the foreign market bought them? At any rate for close to $7k I'd expect it to be much better then the studio model and come with shipping insurance and a full warranty.

Ok, I'll give on the resin issue. If it is a recast & paramount was made aware of it. They could very well loose their licensing for ships.

For $7k this blows my mind: "All orders include mandatory insurance already factored into the shipping charge. QMx is not responsible for any tariffs or import fees levied on international shipments. We highly recommend our international customers factor in any local customs fees that might be applied at the product's destination.

A restocking fee of 20 percent may be deducted from the refund of a QMx Artisan product that is returned and has not incurred material damage and is not missing components included in the original shipment. Note that shipping costs may not be refunded.

For a product that has been damaged after delivery, you may be charged an additional restocking fee of either 25 percent or 50 percent of the original purchase price based on the severity of the damage."

Apple covered ALL the costs when my Pro was dropkicked by FedEx and the replacement passed the returned one in the mail. Makes me wonder if they'll still charge you a "fee" if you refuse to except based on the condition of the shipping container.

This says to me that they don't stand behind they're product, nor will they accept any responsibility. That's a little bit disconcerting, especially for the price!

As for the eBay ones, I think moffeaton might be able to cover that based on his comments on the mega thread. I's not the best at math but isn't 20% of $6,995 $1,399? And if they are in "high demand" then why are the prototype photos still being used? From the kits I've built from R2 and Revell, their photos don't look like prototypes, they look like a professional build or close to one.

I'm really not trying to bash them and I'm not really qualified to since I haven't seen ANY of their stuff in person. I'm just saying what I myself have noticed and read about.

I'm not bashing either, it's just time for them to back up their claims with some finished product. QMX has been mostly reputable, albeit pricey. However, it wouldn't be the first time a company had secured licensing only to have last minute legal issues before product release.

Dao, wow, sorry to hear that... Do you have any close up pics you wouldn't mind sharing?

Sure, I don't have an amazing camera so hopefully this will do. It starts off great at the neck and head except for the unpainted pins at the end of the head (they said they were supposed to be unpainted, but v0v.

img0287g.jpg

Then moving on to the middle it looks so lazy. Just one flat color, not weathered or anything like the neck, and it's also a thick layer although you can't tell that well in the picture.

img0289nl.jpg

Then going at the tail end it's even worse. The windows have some paint spilled over and you can tell when the lights are on, and also the weathering job looks like they just got bored and decided to drop some ink and spray stuff on it. The ring also looks a little "plasticy" as well.

img0292dt.jpg

Here's an overall shot.

img0293bc.jpg

Beyond that I was thoroughly unimpressed with QMX over the whole affair. Beyond the completion time there were some issues with the model too. I had to wait a while to order as I didn't have the money when it first came out unfortunately. But I've seen the pics, people got the crates filled with nice custom cut grey foam to keep theirs produced. Mine had a HARD piece of styrofoam and a bunch of packing peanuts.

I was pretty damn pissed that they cheaped out on my packaging as it makes repacking bad, it looks like crap, and it also caused some damage. The engine light on the top back was snapped off (if you look in the 3rd pick you can see the separation). It was just hanging by the wire and I had to glue it back on, and both of the shuttle wings had come off as well and I had to glue all 3 parts back on.

And a non-shipping damage problem as well, one of the base peg holes had some gunk in it which stopped the stand from going in. I tried picking at it with an xacto knife to no avail. But such can happen as long as they replace, and they did. After receiving my replacement I asked if they wanted the old one back (they made no mention and there was no label). No word for 3 weeks, then I get an email with a shipping label to the "FX Company" or somesuch (can't remeber 100% the name). Then later I get an email explaining they want the base back.

Because of the damage I would normally ask for a replacement or return it, but I LOVE firefly and I waited a damn year for it. Who knows how long a replacement would be, and no doubt the paint job would be just as lackluster. So I ended up keeping it, but pretty much disappointment is the entire story of the Big Damn Replica for me.

I'd say a proper price is more around $1000 or so (it's a lot smaller then you'd think). Now the fact that it was made in America does raise the price substantially, but it doesn't show in the end product. I have other things that were professionally done in the US, and it shows. I've seen better paint jobs come out of China (MR Falcon for example, and it cost the same and it's 3x as big too :|).

I also own a couple other QMX products, the shirt and the newer Mal pistol replica. The shirt is godawful, it's a little more expensive than an average licensed tshirt but with the same average quality material, and whatever pressing/decal/printing whatever they used is terrible. After a few months it began to crack so much I couldn't read the words. I have $15 tshirts from ebay that have held up fine, theirs is crap. The Mal pistol is ok, from a few feet it looks great. Up close it looks pretty ugly, and it's also very fragile. But for $90 I think that's a fair price.

Now if they only would make full metal replica like they said and keep it at a fair price (yeah right :p) but they came out with that instead. And they go all nazi on anyone who would do it in a community like the RPF, so no more runs like Badger did with the model 47a (PM me if you have one you want to sell ^^).

IMO it's a shame someone better doesn't have the firefly license because they don't do it justice. And the only reasonably priced artisan replica that I saw was one of their original (possibly first one) the stealth viper from BSG. Beyond that overpriced claptrap.

/rant over :p

Last edited:
Oh, my god. My Licensed ST Bandai KITS have better paint jobs then that-but I think those where made in Japan. I'm going to have to upload some pics of Voyager on my thread when I get around to it.

Yeah it's pretty lackluster, but from normal viewing distance it's great, just in absolutely no way worth close to the price tag. It's a rip off for sure, my advice is stay away from QMX except for the small nobody can screw up things :|

Yes it has the serenity logo/name and it's well done too :p

Last edited:
Now if they only would make full metal replica like they said and keep it at a fair price (yeah right :p) but they came out with that instead. And they go all nazi on anyone who would do it in a community like the RPF, so no more runs like Badger did with the model 47a (PM me if you have one you want to sell ^^).

2006 - QMx announces that they will make a metal plated resin replica of Mal's pistol from the movie Serenity. The replica will come in a velvet lined tray featuring the 'Serenity' logo. Each replica will come with an acrylic stand and a metal plaque. The run will be limited to 1,500 units worldwide and "once this run us sold out, no other replicas will ever be produced by QMx".

QMx will go on to make a resin version, first with no plating and without the velvet lined tray, and then a plated version.

February 12, 2010 - Karl Derrick, acting as Design Director for QMx, announces the "upcoming Metal Mal Pistol Replica" on Fireflyprops.net. This model will be an all new model after the 'Firefly' television pistol. The body will be made of foundry cast brass, with walnut grips, a working trigger and hammer and a yet undecided frame.

March 2013 - No plans for a metal Mal at this time.

I have 3 of the bandai star trek kits, and the paint is the best I've seen from anything pre-painted, though the fit in the 1701 refit is terrible. I'm thinking of taking my voyager apart completely, refitting it with LEDs and seaming it up.

I always thought the Qmx enterprise was just a polar lights kit, and I tried to convince my brother over and over, and he wouldn't have it. He's one of those people who'll just believe what they're told about a brand because they make firefly things :p
5972907162_90e6ddc8bb_b.jpg

The paint job is okay, but nothing outstanding, definitely not accurate enough to justify the price, though I think nothing can justify the cost of that thing. The use of plain cold white LEDs for the lighting isn't great either.

2006 - QMx announces that they will make a metal plated resin replica of Mal's pistol from the movie Serenity. The replica will come in a velvet lined tray featuring the 'Serenity' logo. Each replica will come with an acrylic stand and a metal plaque. The run will be limited to 1,500 units worldwide and "once this run us sold out, no other replicas will ever be produced by QMx".

QMx will go on to make a resin version, first with no plating and without the velvet lined tray, and then a plated version.

February 12, 2010 - Karl Derrick, acting as Design Director for QMx, announces the "upcoming Metal Mal Pistol Replica" on Fireflyprops.net. This model will be an all new model after the 'Firefly' television pistol. The body will be made of foundry cast brass, with walnut grips, a working trigger and hammer and a yet undecided frame.

March 2013 - No plans for a metal Mal at this time.

If I could get my hands on a 47a I wouldn't care in the slightest what QMX put out in regards to a Mal pistol :/ Sidkit would probably be better then what they would do too....

I have 3 of the bandai star trek kits, and the paint is the best I've seen from anything pre-painted, though the fit in the 1701 refit is terrible. I'm thinking of taking my voyager apart completely, refitting it with LEDs and seaming it up.

I like my Bandai Voyager, but yeah, the blue dish refit I got doesn't like to stay in one piece. I've been contemplating trying to refit my Bandai Enterprise E and Voyager. I think I got a good deal on mine when I got them. Talk about after production price hike.

yeah, that's why I never tried for the replica--overall it was very disappointing. The paint job was pretty bad, but I was also disappointed in other things, like how on the reactor they cheaped out and used brass rods, you know, basically buying some brass from a hobby store and then cutting and bending them into shape, they must have thought that would lower their cost but didn't realize how much time it would take so they only did the larger pipes and they did a pretty bad job at it.

In the beginning when they first started shipping they had major issues too--stuff getting broken, the reactor flaps used actual screws to keep them on (if you chose to have them open). The paint quality I think deteriorated over time. They probably figured it was costing too much to produce. From your photos it looks like the casting quality went down as well.

I've never purchased a QMx item, but from pictures they appear TOPS as far as craftsmanship and paint work. I guess if money was of little object a QMx Refit would be the way to go for a "perfect" model. And if it doesn't live up to expectations as such, one could always return for a refund. That's another benefit of purchasing from a big company. ;)

No 100% refund and your out return shipping.

No 100% refund and your out return shipping.

If you pay via credit card and you the customer is not satisfied with the product or it does not meet your expectations, you are entitled to 100% of your money back—this includes return shipping. Period.

This is not up to QMx to dictate. If QMx balks, and you have a decent credit card company (American Express is excellent at protecting the customer) you, the customer have more rights than you realize. Just don't pay your credit card bill right away so that you have more leverage until you inspect the model and or any issue is resolved.

But, again, seems to me QMX puts out an outstanding product, so there should be no issues.

Beyond that I was thoroughly unimpressed with QMX over the whole affair. Beyond the completion time there were some issues with the model too. I had to wait a while to order as I didn't have the money when it first came out unfortunately. But I've seen the pics, people got the crates filled with nice custom cut grey foam to keep theirs produced. Mine had a HARD piece of styrofoam and a bunch of packing peanuts.

I was pretty damn pissed that they cheaped out on my packaging as it makes repacking bad, it looks like crap, and it also caused some damage. The engine light on the top back was snapped off (if you look in the 3rd pick you can see the separation). It was just hanging by the wire and I had to glue it back on, and both of the shuttle wings had come off as well and I had to glue all 3 parts back on.

And a non-shipping damage problem as well, one of the base peg holes had some gunk in it which stopped the stand from going in. I tried picking at it with an xacto knife to no avail. But such can happen as long as they replace, and they did. After receiving my replacement I asked if they wanted the old one back (they made no mention and there was no label). No word for 3 weeks, then I get an email with a shipping label to the "FX Company" or somesuch (can't remeber 100% the name). Then later I get an email explaining they want the base back.

Because of the damage I would normally ask for a replacement or return it, but I LOVE firefly and I waited a damn year for it. Who knows how long a replacement would be, and no doubt the paint job would be just as lackluster. So I ended up keeping it, but pretty much disappointment is the entire story of the Big Damn Replica for me.

I'd say a proper price is more around $1000 or so (it's a lot smaller then you'd think). Now the fact that it was made in America does raise the price substantially, but it doesn't show in the end product. I have other things that were professionally done in the US, and it shows. I've seen better paint jobs come out of China (MR Falcon for example, and it cost the same and it's 3x as big too :|).

I also own a couple other QMX products, the shirt and the newer Mal pistol replica. The shirt is godawful, it's a little more expensive than an average licensed tshirt but with the same average quality material, and whatever pressing/decal/printing whatever they used is terrible. After a few months it began to crack so much I couldn't read the words. I have $15 tshirts from ebay that have held up fine, theirs is crap. The Mal pistol is ok, from a few feet it looks great. Up close it looks pretty ugly, and it's also very fragile. But for $90 I think that's a fair price.

IMO it's a shame someone better doesn't have the firefly license because they don't do it justice. And the only reasonably priced artisan replica that I saw was one of their original (possibly first one) the stealth viper from BSG. Beyond that overpriced claptrap.

/rant over :p

If you pay via credit card and you the customer is not satisfied with the product or it does not meet your expectations, you are entitled to 100% of your money back—this includes return shipping. Period.

This is not up to QMx to dictate. If QMx balks, and you have a decent credit card company (American Express is excellent at protecting the customer) you, the customer have more rights than you realize. Just don't pay your credit card bill right away so that you have more leverage until you inspect the model and or any issue is resolved.

But, again, seems to me QMX puts out an outstanding product, so there should be no issues.

It's pay before build and no credit card will issue refunds after 60-90 days-let alone 300-400. You don't like it, your stuck with it. Best you can do is BBB, but it is stated on their website so I doubt BBB will do much.

It's pay before build and no credit card will issue refunds after 60-90 days-let alone 300-400. You don't like it, your stuck with it. Best you can do is BBB, but it is stated on their website so I doubt BBB will do much.

I believe American Express has a 1-year policy. I'm not sure about that. But regardless, if the model wasn't DELIVERED to you until the 400th day, let's say, you still have rights. It's not like you've been sitting on the item for over a year and then decided you don't like it. Bottom line: as a credit card customer you still have a lot of leverage—especially if you put off paying your bill for the item!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back