Post pics of your own 3D creations (not purchased)

Here is my most recent. The Mark VII Tricorder

Tricorder Assembly v6 Open.jpg
Tricorder Assembly v6.jpg

Science Tricorder Mark VII Post.jpg

I like Plasticity, but man that default shader... not so much!

Yes. Not the best rendering, but the software wasn't designed for that. I'd rather they stick to improving the interface and making more common tasks easier to do, as well as improving the lofting, filleting and chamfering tools rather than making this another Blender. You get some weird geometry there sometimes.

TazMan2000

Yes. Not the best rendering, but the software wasn't designed for that. I'd rather they stick to improving the interface and making more common tasks easier to do, as well as improving the lofting, filleting and chamfering tools rather than making this another Blender. You get some weird geometry there sometimes.

TazMan2000
Yeah, certainly not a fan of it deriving any functionality from Blender, that app is another on the pile of 'workarounds are not workflows' and horrible interface engineering.

Yeah, certainly not a fan of it deriving any functionality from Blender, that app is another on the pile of 'workarounds are not workflows' and horrible interface engineering.

It has improved a lot, and I'm certain others swear by it, but it doesn't fit my needs. You can't beat the price though. I'm glad it is out there for people interested in 3D that don't have the money to shell out on expensive software. Too bad all companies don't have a "hobby" version of the software (limited use and functionality) like Fusion 3D.

TazMan2000

Me too. Dang. I really need to get going and learn Blender.
Yeah, I remember the days of when Blender was a mess to use, but it's improved so so much. There's even a Blender for Artists which has a more instinctive interface - I don't use it but you might find it useful. Geometry nodes are awesome and similar to Softimage ICE nodes. You can find plenty of online resources to learn how to use them. There are also very helpful forums with many users who usually have an answer for a problem.

Glad you guys like it and thanks.

Wow, great modeling and texturing. If you’re not doing this for a living, you could be! I would love to see the wireframe and UVs

Thanks. I did it for a living starting in the 1980s. It isn't UV mapped. I like using a semi-procedural texturing method and decal-like projection (which can be baked to a UV map later if I felt so inclined). Here's a material node setup using an empty to project a texture map onto the surface (the big orange rectangle is the empty). The decals can be layered on top of each other and be placed anywhere in the node tree.

Corellian_Freighter_JimBowers_Decal_example_03.png

Corellian_Freighter_JimBowers_Decal_example_01.png

Corellian_Freighter_JimBowers_Decal_example_02.png

That setup can also be used as localised layered displacement maps that can get rid of the need to create massive texture displacement maps.

Yeah, I remember the days of when Blender was a mess to use, but it's improved so so much. There's even a Blender for Artists which has a more instinctive interface - I don't use it but you might find it useful. Geometry nodes are awesome and similar to Softimage ICE nodes. You can find plenty of online resources to learn how to use them. There are also very helpful forums with many users who usually have an answer for a problem.

Glad you guys like it and thanks.
I think I get overwhelmed using it because I'm not interested in animating or making a movie or even painting. I just want to built objects for 3D printing and export them as STLs. Tinkercad is really limited, but usually I can make a greeblie in 15 minutes or less.

Thanks. I did it for a living starting in the 1980s. It isn't UV mapped. I like using a semi-procedural texturing method and decal-like projection (which can be baked to a UV map later if I felt so inclined). Here's a material node setup using an empty to project a texture map onto the surface (the big orange rectangle is the empty). The decals can be layered on top of each other and be placed anywhere in the node tree.

View attachment 1802086

View attachment 1802087

View attachment 1802088

That setup can also be used as localised layered displacement maps that can get rid of the need to create massive texture displacement maps.
Ya got 20 years on me! I am a realtime guys so UVs are still the thing in my world,though generating them is much easier than it used to be. I am a Max user and have never looked into blender. Thankfully my employers have always been happy to put me in Max. Again beauty of a model!

I think I get overwhelmed using it because I'm not interested in animating or making a movie or even painting. I just want to built objects for 3D printing and export them as STLs. Tinkercad is really limited, but usually I can make a greeblie in 15 minutes or less.
Any 3D program in the vein of Maya/Max/Blender is daunting. As a professional Max user there are menus I never open. As a modeler primarily I bop around in the same tools all the time. It interesting because the ‘industry’ tends to be pretty specialized. Animator/rigger/modeler/texturer/lighting etc etc, but some crossover is needed to make sure the next step is gonna work right. I’m too old to learn Blender lol. Max is like a friend at this point in my life, but lots of pros and amateurs seem to do really good work in Blender, as it is open source, my place of business forbids it for our work.

You know what would be a fun project (and if I had the skills I'd take a stab at it)? Making a version of the Falcon similar to JimmyB's larger variant but one where all the interior sets would actually fit in the size and configuration. It would make the outside look pretty weird but I bet someone here could make it look cool.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back