Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

I don't know if it would fit or not. The screen I was considering using is a 2G nano one or something like it with this microprocessor attached so that i can make it work like a screen (but it is on the bottom of my list of things to do in accordance with my outfit.)

Same here, I'd be happy enough just to HAVE a Pip Boy. I was even considering just making a cheap, felt Vault Boy puppet if I couldn't find a Pip Boy and going as the crazy Vault 77 dweller.

found this place via googling for a pipboy for sale...put me down for a cast and detail package 1 (if stilled offered) on the list when you start running them again.

I'd rather make my own detailed pipboy then pay for that plain cheap clock....

Looks like there's a line ahead of me! I'm in the same boat trying to get a Vault Dweller Costume done for Anime Boston (April 22-24) It looks like there's plenty of people in front of me but I would like to be added to the PM list as well if possible. Amazing work!

EXCELLENT!!!
*eyes fall out of head at pure amazed shock*

I'd like to be PM as well.. but I'm in no hurry. Something this amazing is worth waiting for.

If you have replied to this thread and expressed interest in getting one of these, I have your name down on my waiting list and will be in touch once I am doing another run. The info will be in the Junkyard when it is time, so please get your post counts up so you have full access to the site.

broads1de, it's extremely unlikely I will be able to get you one before April.

I wanted to share this picture with everyone. This Pip-Boy was constructed by a US Army soldier during his free time in Iraq. It's the farthest one of these props has traveled and he did such a fantastic job with it that I wanted to show it off. I am humbled that he modeled it so closely to mine.
PipBoy%20-%20103_0011.jpg

Wow, it travelled all the way there? And I agree he did a great job with it. I'm sure he could even age it better than anyone here could (unless they lived near a desert). Thanks for posting it. I wonder what he used for the screen though?

If I were writing a FAQ (I probably should, but that's what I consider this thread for the most part... :lol) then one of the top questions would be how to attach the hinge. I've gotten this question a lot recently though email and PM so I wanted to post the info here for everyone.

I recommend the hinge go on top. IMO, it looks better aesthetically and works better functionally. There is no canon answer, though, as the in-game model does not have a hinge... I guess they get grafted to your arm at age 10 by magic :rolleyes.

I had to remove the cast-in hinge for it to fit well (those two nubs on the backside of the cast). To attach the hinge on the top piece, I used my dremel and smallest drill bit to carefully carve out a slot under where the battery compartment would be (the area above the screen). What I needed was a slot big enough that I could slide one half of the hinge into. I ended up cutting one of the metal hinge flaps in half so it would fit more easily. I filled the slot with epoxy and while still liquid, slid the hinge in. That thing is never coming loose. Once that is set, line up the other flap of the hinge on the backside cast and use epoxy to glue it down, too. I scored the metal of the hinge flap to give the epoxy something to "bite" into. I also used some very small screws that I drilled through the hinge flap into the resin, but they were so small that I'm not sure they do much good.

Here are some pictures of my hinge to give you a better idea of what I mean:
DSC_4934.jpg

DSC_4935.jpg

DSC_4936.jpg

DSC_4937.jpg

DSC_4939.jpg

Last edited:
As I am a slacker and do not yet have the count to post in the Junkyard, I will do so here!

Got my kit today Skruffy! Haven't laid it all out yet but from a cursory examination, I am very pleased. The casting is strong and clean, couldn't be happier. I am thinking about kitbashing a slim 3.5" digital photo frame for the screen instead. If it seems feasable I will post details. The frame in question is 14.99 at Frys, so if it works, it will be a cheap upgrade!

I started to go this route for a mask, but it should work. The up side there is rather than using the lcd screen/green filter combo you can set the frame to show a slideshow, achieving slow animations. I was going to use it for making the eye of my mask move around randomly, but it could just as easily be used for screen flickers, ultra slow strobe animations, etc. I boned mine up by removing the led mounted to it, thus making it too dark to see, but aside from that it worked like a champ. You may even be able to find one that'll handle gifs.

I was wondering how you were getting that hinge in. I was looking it over the other day and wondering where the other half went. good idea.

is the resin thin in those areas? I'm a little worried about cracking it if I tried place the latch in that way.

I was wondering how you were getting that hinge in. I was looking it over the other day and wondering where the other half went. good idea.

is the resin thin in those areas? I'm a little worried about cracking it if I tried place the latch in that way.

I actually had a lot of trouble with the hinge and getting the 2 pieces to sit flush. I dremeled a slot in BOTH halves because the hinge created a small gap at first. But I ended up taking a bit too much out and couldn't get the hinge to sit right, so I ended up stuffing craft foam and Liquid Nails in the upper slot to compensate and worked really well to get everything to come together (the hinge has to sit slightly crooked for the halves to match up, at least on mine). That whole part is facing the ground when it's on your arm, so you don't really notice any goof-ups.

Had a interesting question about your work with the PB3k, I remember reading that one of the options was a sound board that had a few minor sound effects what kind of chip are you using? was one of the things i was looking at if i could upgrade myself if i happen to make it in on your next run of the PB3k.

Hi, great job on the casts. You are doing the Fallout Fan World justice. I checked the thread and found dimensions for the screen and the interior diameter of the pip boy but what are the FULL dimensions of the PipBoy?

I couldn't get a cast in time for Halloween so I made one out of craft foam. it wasn't too shabby but it did turn out a bit big. i'm hoping to carve and more true to size version for PAX-E.

thanks in advance.

Had a interesting question about your work with the PB3k, I remember reading that one of the options was a sound board that had a few minor sound effects what kind of chip are you using? was one of the things i was looking at if i could upgrade myself if i happen to make it in on your next run of the PB3k.

Well... not quite. I didn't use a sound board with pre-loaded sound effects. Instead I used a sound amp that I modified to accept audio input from an mp3 player; I replaced the microphone input with a 3.5mm jack. All the sound files are stored on the mp3 player and are output through the sound amp.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back