Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

Hey man! Mah friends and I were planning on making a fallout movie and one of my friends said to go to you if we wanted a pipboy in the film. Can you help us out?

It depends on when your film is scheduled for. I am taking a break from making the casts for the summer, but should resume making them in August-September.

I just ordered a kit from skruffy. I can't wait. Does anyone have any thoughts about modifying it to fit a Galaxy S4 for the screen? It's dimensions are 5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches.

I just ordered a kit from skruffy. I can't wait. Does anyone have any thoughts about modifying it to fit a Galaxy S4 for the screen? It's dimensions are 5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches.

I doubt you could get that to look good. Skruffy posted pics with measurements earlier in the thread. The PipBoy screen area is a 4:3 ratio and only about 3.25 inches wide. You would have to drop the phone down to the main part so it would be recessed about 2 inches from where it should be.

That stinks. I want the functionality of my android but I don't know anything about electronics so it's unlikely I can rig something that replicates it.

Hi there.

Currently working on design of my own PIP-Boy 3000(B). Want to add an actual screen under control of something like Raspberry Pi and/or Arduino. Possibly even a Geiger counter =). Also considering placing nobs on the right for ergonomics, something developers meant to do but never did in the end.

Will update with pics once got something to show.

I don't know about the Galaxy S4, but I have an S3 and it does not fit. It comes close, and it may be possible to dremel enough on the sides to get it to squeeze in there, but it would be VERY tight.

Is there a screen fitting the dimensions needed for this cast that could connect to an android phone via bluetooth and mirror the display of the android? I wouldn't be able to interface with the pipboy as I would prefer but at least I could change the display by using my phone.

I ordered a cast from Jason Stark a few weeks back. This was before I heard that his casts were bad quality. I ordered one from Scruffy shortly after. Well, Stark's just arrived. I thought I would post some images of it. This should provide some visual perspective.
20130730_183525.jpg
20130730_183555.jpg
20130730_183603.jpg
20130730_183632.jpg
20130730_183645.jpg
20130730_183656.jpg

Greetings! First post here but I have been reading this thread as my bible for a good long time now. Thanks everyone for contributing it is such a good resource.

I've just "finished" my Pip Boy but am wondering what you guys are using for your orange lights? I've been searching but haven't yet found any sort of task-specific part or light bulb to scavenge in the correct size. They're currently orange LEDs covered by heavily modified clear orange LEGOs lol.

IMAG0127.jpg

Started my first work on Scruffy's kit. Dremeled out holes for the lights and attached the two halves with the hinge. Now I'm not an electrician nor a handyman. Can someone explain in toddler-language how to set up the battery pack to lights and, perhaps more importantly, the 9v to adapter thing to screen light to button thing?

(You see why I need toddler-language.)

Spd, sorry for the slow reply! I've just created a FB page as a central place to store some of this information, but one of the first things I posted was a WIP photo album of a build I did earlier this year using the package 3 lights kit. There are descriptions for each of the photos to kind of give you a step by step walkthrough. I made it with you in mind :). Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.166559626881053.1073741828.166458486891167&type=1

I just started working with the kit I purchased. I will have some WIP photos as soon as I can. I still need to gen an amp, and I may need some additional tips on inserting the electronics. I've never done anything like that before.

These look amazing you guys. Is anyone working up a functional multi-screen display for the different PIP boy menus. Sorry if this has been done already. I read about certain builds incorporating an iPhone screen into theirs. That would be cool to use Keynote or a slide show app that could switch screens with a touch or button press.

Dozens of people who've bought one of my kits have told me they intended to make it fully functional, several claiming to have plans/prototypes/etc but I've never seen someone make one that has multiple functions and still be wearable. One person had a promising idea to use a hacked GPS since they are relatively inexpensive, are sort of the right size, and have a touch screen... but it was just an idea and I never heard back with whether it worked or not.

Hey, Skruffy! I just wanted to thank you again for a beautiful cast and kit! We really enjoyed spending some time with you at our studio :) Matt (CharlieSaxon) didn't leave till hours after I'd left. He was sanding when I last saw him...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back